Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 06:16:22 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  NFA question X95 16"
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NFA question X95 16"  (Read 874 times)
BigDave76

« on: May 14, 2018, 05:41:27 PM »

I wish I bought an 18" X95. Anyways.

I want a shorter length of pull on this thingy, but I wanna know if I can get around having to pin and weld a long muzzle attachment to the gun. I want to use the short IWI buttplate instead of the big honking rubber standard one it comes with. I know of the Manticore Curved pad, but that's not the cheapest option either.

I was wondering if I could get the thin plate, and then just add a Permanent extension to the back, like this (sorry for the little black goof on the bottom right):

DubageL

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 07:47:49 PM »

If you pin/weld the factory flash hider, on the 5.56 x95 you can use the thin IDF butt plate and it not be an sbr and NFA compliant.
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 10:54:15 PM »

Exactly--you can use the short buttpad with your 16.5" X95 if you pin and weld on the stock A2 flash hider. Very simple--costs about $30 depending upon where you have it done. I've done this to mine, and I'll attach a pic. Misha has his set up like this also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj1puIs0Et8

And to answer your question, adding an extension like the one in your pic would not fly with the ATF. It's obvious that your shoulder would still rest on the short buttpad underneath, so the ATF would consider that to be where your overall (functional) length begins. Fortunately you can just pin the stock A2 as stated above.

* IMG_0191.JPG (359.22 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 85 times.)

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
BigDave76

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 09:29:56 AM »

Ah I see. Thanks for the heads up guys. I've tried looking around for a shop to pin/weld the A2 or a Linear brake of choice to the muzzle, but these guys are all wanting to charge me like $80. You'd think living in the central US would mean things would be cheaper.  Undecided
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 09:37:00 AM »

Ah I see. Thanks for the heads up guys. I've tried looking around for a shop to pin/weld the A2 or a Linear brake of choice to the muzzle, but these guys are all wanting to charge me like $80. You'd think living in the central US would mean things would be cheaper.  Undecided

Send it to ADCO. That's what I did. They'll literally have it done and shipped back to you the same day they receive it. They're ridiculously fast like that. They charge $30 I believe, plus return shipping of course.

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
BigDave76

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 09:43:16 AM »

Did you just send in the barrel? Or the Whole gun?
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 10:42:31 PM »

I just sent the barrel so I wouldn't have to deal with an FFL. You actually have to send it stripped down like this--ADCO won't accept it otherwise. You need to get a special tool which allows you to remove the Tavor's/X95's barrel. This is available at IWI's online store. Also, make sure you read the manual on how to remove the barrel. I learned that the hard way myself. Ended up breaking some parts and had to throw down the cash to get replacements. You have to remove the bolt carrier assembly, pistol grip, fore grip, and charging handle on an X95 before you can remove the barrel. On a SAR, you have to remove the entire top front piece because the charging handle is incorporated into that.

Btw, are you planning to keep the long fore grip, or do you want to use the short one? If you plan to switch to using the short one, you may want to ask ADCO to lathe a groove into the barrel for the new location of that plastic collar piece that seals the gap between the fore grip and barrel.

BigDave76

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 10:57:10 PM »

Found a good gunsmith! Says he'll do it for $40 (woo). And I'll keep the longer fore end, I use this for HD so I have a light on the end and I don't want the shadow from the barrel to be too bad.
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 10:55:53 AM »

Found a good gunsmith! Says he'll do it for $40 (woo). And I'll keep the longer fore end, I use this for HD so I have a light on the end and I don't want the shadow from the barrel to be too bad.

Great! The shorter length of pull really makes the X95 feel "right."

adoloris

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 04:06:28 PM »

There is an earlier thread that discusses pinning and welding a muzzle device onto the X95 that you may find helpful (search). Choose the device to weld carefully as you will be permanently attached to it! It should be durable, have the braking/compensating performance you desire and be a suitable host for a future silencer. Good luck BigDave with this project.

"Love never fails!"
BigDave76

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 04:13:42 PM »

Yeah I'll be sure the thing I buy makes the measurement criteria and gets the job done. I'm not worried about adding a suppressor to this one, though. I'd suppress a 300 blk Tavor, but not a 5.56.
SteveD

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 04:46:21 PM »

Yeah I'll be sure the thing I buy makes the measurement criteria and gets the job done. I'm not worried about adding a suppressor to this one, though. I'd suppress a 300 blk Tavor, but not a 5.56.

You never know. Maybe 5 years later you want it suppressed. Doesn't hurt to pick a good flash hider/muzzle brake that could possibly be a suppressor host. But A2 flash hiders are damn cheap and work just as well as a lot of higher cost flash hiders (according to Jeremy Scott's extensive muzzle device testing). If you don't care I'd pick the Mil spec A2 because I know the original SAR came with a different sized A2 and some suppressors that are able to use NATO Mil spec a2 compensators as hosts wouldn't work.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length