Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2018, 06:36:48 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR
| | |-+  After Market Products we would love to see
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: After Market Products we would love to see  (Read 1110 times)
mityno1
^

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2018, 02:36:01 AM »

Agreed...but to me (only speaking about myself here) that's an extra $400 bucks on top of a $3000+ rifle...that is the crap that doesn't make sense...at least the factory polymer lower on SCARs are tough as nails and they do not need replacing unless you want to run SR25 mags...unlike the MDR, its flimsy polymer construction needs re-engineered in my opinion.

I bought my SCAR 17 new a few years ago for $2600 and change total cost, it has been a pretty good investment as rifles go. It is always a gamble because you don't know if the prices will drop again, or if they are going to continue to go up. But it is going to tough to find a more reliable .308 semi that is as light and accurate as the SCAR-17 for the same price or less. Maybe not even for under $5k.

One reason (of many) that I went with Stryker for my PMAG lower is I pre-ordered it COMPLETE AND ASSEMBLED with all of the upgrades already installed by Stryker for around $1,200 back then...Giselle trigger, larger mag release MIAD grip, etc, etc... If there had been any problems with the complete lower, (there weren't), I only had one company to deal with for warranty work. If you piecemeal an aftermarket lower together yourself, good luck making a warranty claim because the other lower people will try to blame you or the parts you used. The parts people will blame you or the lower people. 

By ordering a complete lower, my OEM lower was also left complete and unmolested. So I can swap back in a few seconds and run FN mags. But I seldom run the OEM lower anymore.  The only advantage 20 round FN mags have is the SCAR-17 is much easier to shoot from the prone with them than with PMAGS, especially 25 round PMAGs as even the 20 round PMAGs are longer. I have a few 10 round PMAGs just for prone shooting.

Granted, $8k is a lot to have in a single rifle rig (my March scope cost me more than the SCAR), but its a .308 rifle that does more shooting tasks adequately with proven in combat reliably ~1 MOA (not counting FRF's) at 8 pounds nakid and ~10 pounds with 2.5-25x42 March scope and Stryker lower and lightest felt recoil than any other .308 rifle I know of in its price range. If I can only have one rifle, my SCAR-17 is that one rifle.

Based on early reports, it does not appear the first gen OEM configured MDR will be the equal of the SCAR-17.

That is not intended to be an insult to DT, just an observation that is to be expected as FN has been around making firearms some 128 years and before the SCAR, FN made over 2 million battle proven .308 FN FAL's (Right Arm of the Free World). Not to mention the millions of other FN small and large caliber pistols, rifles and MG's over all of those years that FN has produced. All of that design, R&D and manufacturing experience and history from a behemoth international conglomerate Tier-1 firearms manufacturer is what makes the military specification contract contest winning SCAR-17 what it is.     

But that is where the MDR aftermarket will come in and will play a vital role in offering options to address complaints and desired upgrades as the MDR aftermarket develops and grows over time.   

I can't really address the OP of this thread until I receive my MDR and shoot the snot out of it. Only then I will have some idea what I would like to change or modify. And when some expert gunsmiths get their hands on some MDR's as the supply eventually catches up with the demand, I think we will see modifications offered that cannot be foreseen at this early stage.

Will there be a Gen-2 MDR?  I have no doubt. It is unlikely that any company as innovative as DT will not stop innovating. So why a Gen-1 MDR?  Partially for the same reason I wish I had one of these 1950's production .308's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kH_l83mDkQ

Re: MDR Group Buy - official BPF list!
« Reply #360 on: January 04, 2015, 05:29:50 AM »
(Still waiting patiently on an FDE...)
Zeiram3f

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2018, 10:52:08 PM »

I just want an MDR Sad

How bad? Wink
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 07:21:44 AM »

This is off on a tangent, but honestly, not that bad any more. Too many bad reports. Too many bad pictures on the Facebook page.

Gotta be honest, the only reason I haven't canceled my order is because of all the nightmare stories I've heard about getting your money back. Ironically, had I just done it last year when I wanted to, I'd have my money.
thehun

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 08:27:23 AM »

Slateman I bet someone on here would sell you theirs
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 10:22:37 AM »

Slateman I bet someone on here would sell you theirs
Who has a .223 MDR?
thehun

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2018, 11:27:14 AM »

That is still vaporware until released. I think DT did an update...June or July...which is probably going to be September-October.
reason

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2018, 12:55:12 PM »

Ship of Theseus indeed...

I’ll take a completely standard side ejecting bolt, doing away entitrely with DT’s malfunction causing “innovation”. Make it with ARX style ambi eject and that will be all....

Or someone can convince HK to make the 433 into a bullpup..
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 01:05:24 PM by reason » Logged
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2018, 01:24:58 PM »

Eh, not sure really.
It's easier to call out 'gen 2' vs bolt-on mods.

I'm not investing further in my MDR until it's reliability is determined.

A replacement barrel and bolt, gas system - that makes it reliable and not ripping rims off of PPU and IMI Match ammo. 

A reliable mag release system that works every single time with one finger.

Maybe a gas block mount for something other than a DT Chinese red dot.
A working, reliable, not-at-added-cost-or-with-inserts gas plug.

The pistol grip is fine, although I'm sure DT chose to intentionally make it non AR compatible to sell more crap to owners.  Not needing a pair of pliers to open the pistol storage compartment would be nice, too.

A slightly re-shaped trigger guard, one that doesn't border on creating Glock-finger.

A more forward QD point for single point use, somewhere near the barrel retaining bolts.

Simpler charging handle, maybe just 'push-through' style so it only exists on the left or the right.  Out of box, it wouldn't lock up solidly on th left hand side.  Now it can't be released from the right. 

I don't think the MDR needs many new additional parts as much as quality original parts, possibly w/rework.

Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2018, 01:31:19 PM »

Actual accessories:

New rail. Made of metal. Preferably one that has the MLok in the correct place to place a JP Enterprises offset in the correct position.

Gas block with more than three settings

Entire 6.5 conversion kit from aftermarket barrel company.

Aftermarket trigger.

Options for a charging handle.
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2018, 07:49:37 PM »

Ship of Theseus indeed...

I’ll take a completely standard side ejecting bolt, doing away entitrely with DT’s malfunction causing “innovation”. Make it with ARX style ambi eject and that will be all....

Or someone can convince HK to make the 433 into a bullpup..

I had messaged Paul at GHW after my first range trip requesting a stand ejection port door. Never heard back from him. Also talked to another member about a forward assist for the forward ejection port door. Basically if a casing got stuck you had a spring loaded lever to push the round forward.

AE
Articlion

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2018, 12:38:38 PM »

• get rid of the mini gas block/pic rail/hand burner/usless
    extend the upper pic rail forward with a dove tail on the bottom and have the hand guard attache to the bottom of that and pin on to the lower and get rid of the tension screws on the hand guard
    move the gas block forward an inch
    a backward assist manual ejector so you don't have to carry a brass rod and hammer around with you
    built in storage for a brass rod and hammer
    a window in the handgard to adjust the gas valve
    more positions on the gas valve
    7.62x39 conversion kit
    a replacement ejector chute panel that is just a dust cover that actually opens when a round is fired and not a forward case jammer i mean forward case ejector chute

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length