Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2018, 09:24:24 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  X95 short foregrip
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: X95 short foregrip  (Read 2587 times)
The West Virginian

« on: May 07, 2018, 10:51:42 AM »

Good morning, all.

Has anyone installed the short foregrip on an X95?  If so, how did it work out?  I'd like to see an X95 with 16" barrel with the short foregrip just to have an idea.

Thanks much.

Aaron
RebellionOnIce

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 11:36:28 AM »

This weekend I will order the short grip from IWI and put it on when it gets in. I'll post a picture when I get it done.

BellatorInvictus has one on his X95 and you can see it and read about it here >>>>> https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=12812.20
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 01:23:42 PM »

This weekend I will order the short grip from IWI and put it on when it gets in. I'll post a picture when I get it done.

BellatorInvictus has one on his X95 and you can see it and read about it here >>>>> https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=12812.20

Yep--I was just gonna say that I did that conversion. I also took the parts and m21 optic off my SAR IDF16 and that turned out fantastic. Made the whole thing so much lighter without that big aluminum top rail. Now if IWI would just PLEASE release the IDF round handguards with built-in flip-up front sight and low-profile top rail, my life will be complete...

Here are the pics.

Btw, please note that the flash hider must be pinned and welded to keep the overall length NFA-compliant due to the short buttpad. I had ADCO do this, but I believe John Thomas of Retro Arms Works can also do it. I'm still a bit miffed at ADCO because the flash hider came back a little crooked (it wasn't like that when I sent it to them...).

* IMG_0191.JPG (359.22 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 272 times.)

* IMG_0192.JPG (441.28 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 186 times.)

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
The West Virginian

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 10:52:20 AM »

Thank you much for the link!  Looking forward to seeing another set up with the short guard.
The West Virginian

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 10:54:28 AM »

Yep--I was just gonna say that I did that conversion. I also took the parts and m21 optic off my SAR IDF16 and that turned out fantastic. Made the whole thing so much lighter without that big aluminum top rail. Now if IWI would just PLEASE release the IDF round handguards with built-in flip-up front sight and low-profile top rail, my life will be complete...

Here are the pics.

Btw, please note that the flash hider must be pinned and welded to keep the overall length NFA-compliant due to the short buttpad. I had ADCO do this, but I believe John Thomas of Retro Arms Works can also do it. I'm still a bit miffed at ADCO because the flash hider came back a little crooked (it wasn't like that when I sent it to them...).

At the risk of exhibiting woeful ignorance, what happens to the stock long rail when the short guard is added?  I'm puzzled by the space behind your optic.

Thanks much!
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 01:21:09 PM »

So the stock long rail will fit on there with the short foregrip, but it sticks out past it and is rather sharp. You just need to buy the short top rail that IWI sells for $150 and add the tritium front sight post from your old long rail to that. That's the current setup for SBR X95s.

My X95 looks different because I'm not using a top rail. I took the M21 optic with mount and gas cylinder off my SAR IDF16 which has a built in rear iron sight and an area for the Mepro MX3 magnifier to snap into place. That's why it looks funny, but this is closer to the IDF-issue X95s. The rail on top of the short foregrip is a 9-slot plastic Magpul MOE rail. The current foregrip/rail is for me just a placeholder until that wonderful day when IWI finally releases the older style IDF round front foregrip...

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
RebellionOnIce

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 11:21:29 PM »

Looking forward to seeing another set up with the short guard

I will order the the remaining pieces on Friday. I'm looking forward how this is going to turn out. I will use the flat top short rail with the OEM short fore end. I like my light setup now and am curious to see how it will work out, if at all on less real estate. That could be a deal breaker.

I'll be putting a scope on it and want to see if the scope extends past the end of the for grip. If it does that may be a deal breaker as I get a little OCD with aesthetics.  

Uncle Sam gets enough of my money and I really do not want to send him anymore for a SBR so I am trying to make it SBR-ish as possible.
I'll  put a manticore arms curved butt pad on the ass end that will shorten the length of pull by an inch I think. Measure the rifle on the bottom side to the end of the barrel and it's probably not compliant. Measure it on the top side and that beautiful, wonderful curve makes the 16 inch barreled X96 compliant while actually being shorter as you shoulder it. Brilliant! SBR-ish.

One thing I do like is the cutlass on the X95 but will replace that with the pistol grip just to try it out. I don't like how IWI makes you buy the horizontal patterned grip covers separate. You have to buy the grip with the checkered pattern and then the other pattern separate if you want that look.
How about give me a choice IWI?

One other thing I'm tossing around is on the 18 inch SARS you have a bayonet lug. With the short fore grip on the X95 I should have 3 inches more pipe out in front of the fore grip. That should be enough room to throw a bayonet on a 16" X95 if I like. I don't think I will do that as I don't want to buy one just to see if it works but I would like to see how it looks.

That's the plan as of right now anyways on my SBR-ish X95 and it is similar to BellatorInvictus's but yet totally different. I'll post it when it's done.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:23:26 PM by rjhyland » Logged
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 08:55:28 AM »

I have a FDE short foregrip, short rail and thin buttpad not being used. If anyone wants to make an offer send me a message.

AE
The West Virginian

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 01:04:55 PM »

So the stock long rail will fit on there with the short foregrip, but it sticks out past it and is rather sharp. You just need to buy the short top rail that IWI sells for $150 and add the tritium front sight post from your old long rail to that. That's the current setup for SBR X95s.

My X95 looks different because I'm not using a top rail. I took the M21 optic with mount and gas cylinder off my SAR IDF16 which has a built in rear iron sight and an area for the Mepro MX3 magnifier to snap into place. That's why it looks funny, but this is closer to the IDF-issue X95s. The rail on top of the short foregrip is a 9-slot plastic Magpul MOE rail. The current foregrip/rail is for me just a placeholder until that wonderful day when IWI finally releases the older style IDF round front foregrip...

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation, Bellator.  Your rifle looks really sharp, and I would like to set mine similarly, though with the short rail.  I, too, am anxious for the round handguards as I think it gives the X95 a really slick look.

In regards to removing the front sight from the long rail and moving it to the short rail, did you find it a fairly easy undertaking?

Thanks again!

Aaron
The West Virginian

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 01:06:53 PM »

Looking forward to seeing another set up with the short guard

I will order the the remaining pieces on Friday. I'm looking forward how this is going to turn out. I will use the flat top short rail with the OEM short fore end. I like my light setup now and am curious to see how it will work out, if at all on less real estate. That could be a deal breaker.

I'll be putting a scope on it and want to see if the scope extends past the end of the for grip. If it does that may be a deal breaker as I get a little OCD with aesthetics.  

Uncle Sam gets enough of my money and I really do not want to send him anymore for a SBR so I am trying to make it SBR-ish as possible.
I'll  put a manticore arms curved butt pad on the ass end that will shorten the length of pull by an inch I think. Measure the rifle on the bottom side to the end of the barrel and it's probably not compliant. Measure it on the top side and that beautiful, wonderful curve makes the 16 inch barreled X96 compliant while actually being shorter as you shoulder it. Brilliant! SBR-ish.

One thing I do like is the cutlass on the X95 but will replace that with the pistol grip just to try it out. I don't like how IWI makes you buy the horizontal patterned grip covers separate. You have to buy the grip with the checkered pattern and then the other pattern separate if you want that look.
How about give me a choice IWI?

One other thing I'm tossing around is on the 18 inch SARS you have a bayonet lug. With the short fore grip on the X95 I should have 3 inches more pipe out in front of the fore grip. That should be enough room to throw a bayonet on a 16" X95 if I like. I don't think I will do that as I don't want to buy one just to see if it works but I would like to see how it looks.

That's the plan as of right now anyways on my SBR-ish X95 and it is similar to BellatorInvictus's but yet totally different. I'll post it when it's done.

It sounds like your setup is pretty much what I want to do to mine.  Looking forward to seeing your end creation!

Aaron
Jfoster99

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 07:05:30 PM »

This is my short forend / 14.5 barrel w pinned break and thin butt plate cover. Came up an 1/8 short. I had to get creative to make it  100% legal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 08:52:50 PM »

In regards to removing the front sight from the long rail and moving it to the short rail, did you find it a fairly easy undertaking?

I actually haven't done this. I do not own the short top rail--I don't need it as I'm going for the old school IDF setup with M21 mounted directly to the barrel. I don't know how hard it would be to do--I'm not even sure if they mean that you have to remove the entire front sight assembly (which would involve taking out a roll pin), or just the tritium post itself. Maybe someone else has experience with this.

BellatorInvictus

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 09:04:29 PM »

This is my short forend / 14.5 barrel w pinned break and thin butt plate cover. Came up an 1/8 short. I had to get creative to make it  100% legal.

JFoster--that's a nice looking setup; however, your method of reaching the required 26" OAL is almost certainly illegal. The ATF requires that flash hiders be welded into place to reach proper OAL... is your d-ring assembly welded to the receiver in the back of your rifle? I'm guessing not, and that it could be easily removed. That's a problem if some cop/ATF agent ever decides to question you about it (unlikely but you never know). What you should do is have your muzzle device removed, a 1/8" steel spacer added to the barrel, then have the muzzle device permed back on, and get another SBR X95 buttpad. This will get you that 1/8" you're missing in a way that doesn't detract from the functionality and looks of the rifle, and also isn't begging for attention from the ATF. Look up John Thomas or ADCO--they can machine spacers for your barrel.

Jfoster99

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 09:21:22 PM »

JFoster--that's a nice looking setup; however, your method of reaching the required 26" OAL is almost certainly illegal. The ATF requires that flash hiders be welded into place to reach proper OAL... is your d-ring assembly welded to the receiver in the back of your rifle? I'm guessing not, and that it could be easily removed. That's a problem if some cop/ATF agent ever decides to question you about it (unlikely but you never know). What you should do is have your muzzle device removed, a 1/8" steel spacer added to the barrel, then have the muzzle device permed back on, and get another SBR X95 buttpad. This will get you that 1/8" you're missing in a way that doesn't detract from the functionality and looks of the rifle, and also isn't begging for attention from the ATF. Look up John Thomas or ADCO--they can machine spacers for your barrel.
That that a good idea. I may just do that... I assure you it is not easy to remove it hold my weight of 250lbs. The butt pad was flexing to the point of ripping off the rifle before the ring was coming off.

RebellionOnIce

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 11:46:37 PM »

Looks good jfoster99. My shorty fore and grip should arrive here in the mail on Monday \o/

On the front post I have the short rail and it looks like just the tritium post comes out and and gets reseated in the new rail as the new rail has the hinged sight in it minus the tritium.

Jfoster99

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 08:24:03 AM »

If you look at the ring on my Barrel and and Bellatorinvictous you can see how much shorter my barrel is. It make to overall gun seem much shorter as well.

I had my barrel cut down before the slim buttpad we available so I ended up short but if you are starting from scratch and sending your barrel to adco anyway have them cut it down to 14 3/4 then add a 1 1/2 muzzle device welded and the slim butt pad and you will be about a 1/8 longer then required

The muzzle break I have has angle cut that match the angles of the x95.  Looks nicer then a round muzzle device.

If IWI come out with the IDF short round for end then I my switch to a round muzzle device.

RebellionOnIce

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 09:14:06 PM »

My SBR-ish setup with the short rail.

* X95SBR-ish.jpg (1269.98 KB, 1071x603 - viewed 163 times.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:21:22 PM by rjhyland » Logged
RebellionOnIce

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 08:18:37 PM »

Now all I need is IWI to release the short round fore grip.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:14:41 PM by rjhyland » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length