Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2018, 06:52:11 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Tavor SAR Israeli/Canadian paracord sling loop replica
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tavor SAR Israeli/Canadian paracord sling loop replica  (Read 617 times)
BellatorInvictus

« on: May 05, 2018, 07:38:17 AM »

Attention any Canadian Tavor owners--perhaps one of you can help me out. I'm looking to make my Tavor SAR IDF16 more clone-correct, and one of the things I'd really like to do is get rid of the front QD sling mount and replace it with the one designed for looping paracord through it, Israeli-style.

I can do 3D design and have a Creality CR10s 3D-printer, so I've been thinking about making and printing my own version of this in black ABS, but I'd like to see if it's possible to source the real part first.

Any leads would really help. Shoot me a PM. Thank you.

***Edit 5/16: Original title "WTB Israeli/Canadian paracord sling loop" edited to reflect current direction of the thread.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 12:00:00 PM by BellatorInvictus » Logged

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
Rastoff

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 09:06:07 PM »

So, you've prompted me to look up some pictures and I'm still not sure what you're talking about. Can you post a pic?

Even so, one thing I can tell you for sure, is that no 3D printed part made out of plastic will be suitable for load bearing duty.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 10:13:42 PM »

Here's a pic I found on Google of a Canadian CTAR--take a look where the front QD sling attachment would be and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's a plastic piece with a loop for paracord to go through.

You're definitely right that a 3D-printed part in plastic would not be suitable for load-bearing duty; however, I could also upload the file to Shapeways and have them print it in blackened steel.

I'd rather have the authentic polymer part though... I'm looking for this piece for the X95, as well, but I think even the Canadian X95s have the QD attachment now. I called IWI US about it and they of course do not carry them and have no intention of doing so. They mentioned something about North Sylva in Canada possibly having them, but their website doesn't seem to be working right currently and I'm not sure how to contact them.

* 12a67411011c7a4c1111201d35ab6abc.jpg (121.29 KB, 1280x720 - viewed 88 times.)

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
Rastoff

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 10:58:08 PM »

Good pic. I see now what you're looking for.

I don't think it would be hard to mill that piece out of aluminum. The question is, how does it attach to the rifle? I don't have a SAR so, I'm not familiar with that attachment point.

Freedom isn't free.
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 01:42:19 AM »

Good pic. I see now what you're looking for.

I don't think it would be hard to mill that piece out of aluminum. The question is, how does it attach to the rifle? I don't have a SAR so, I'm not familiar with that attachment point.

That's true. I have a lathe and a mill. I could lathe out the basic shape and then mill it, and then contour the edges before anodizing it. The tricky thing about it is that the QD sling attachment has a screw that goes through it. Check it out here:

https://iwi.us/product/tavor-sar-sling-swivel-attachment-kit/

Since I have no way of seeing how the Israeli version is constructed on the inside, I'd have to design something else that would at least look correct from the outside. It would have to allow me to reuse the screw piece so that would match up with the plastic connector and retaining clip on the other side.

Rastoff

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 11:28:45 PM »

Yeah, in your situation, getting it to look correct is really the goal. I think you can do it. I think you should do it.

Personally I love making my own parts whenever it makes sense. It brings me closer to the rifle. I want pics when you're done.

Freedom isn't free.
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 01:24:15 PM »

Yeah, in your situation, getting it to look correct is really the goal. I think you can do it. I think you should do it.

Personally I love making my own parts whenever it makes sense. It brings me closer to the rifle. I want pics when you're done.

Thanks. I'm thinking about designing it actually so that the piece has a shank, which would take the place of the screw. I'd just tap it on the other end and drill that tiny hole in it for the retaining pin. This way the sling loop/screw is all one piece. Anodized aluminum would be easiest material-wise, but parkerized steel would be a lot stronger... I'll play around with it in Fusion 360 when I have some time this weekend hopefully and post some pics of the model.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 10:37:17 PM by BellatorInvictus » Logged

Halmbarte

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 11:43:00 AM »

These would be pretty close to the Israeli style loop, but not cheap: https://www.nsdefense.us/products/kac-knight-armament-company-non-qd-sling-swivel-hk-hook?variant=46429761556

H
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 10:45:53 PM »

These would be pretty close to the Israeli style loop, but not cheap: https://www.nsdefense.us/products/kac-knight-armament-company-non-qd-sling-swivel-hk-hook?variant=46429761556

H

That is a pretty good option--thank you for that. That would let people use both QD and paracord loops if they wanted to. Being an accuracy nut myself, however, I'm designing a replica piece that I'm going to have 3-D printed in steel, which I'll then finish and parkerize myself. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

BellatorInvictus

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 11:57:19 AM »

Made some progress in Fusion. I'm going to have Shapeways print this in steel ($26). I'll probably have to go over the threads with an 8-36 die on my lathe and clean up the tiny hole for the retaining pin, but I think this is going to work out nicely. I'll then powder coat it matte black after cleaning it up a bit to give it a more "plastic" look.

If everything turns out as planned, I'll do a replica like this for my IDF X95 clone as well.

* sar2.png (176.24 KB, 1129x591 - viewed 19 times.)

* sar1.png (170.99 KB, 1129x596 - viewed 14 times.)

* sar3.png (137.25 KB, 1112x594 - viewed 14 times.)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 12:07:36 PM by BellatorInvictus » Logged

BellatorInvictus

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 12:02:02 PM »

Here are the reference pics I'm using.

* IWI-Tavor001.jpg (2026.64 KB, 3648x1456 - viewed 33 times.)

* 2023.jpg (195.97 KB, 1000x667 - viewed 23 times.)

* iwi_tavor_gtar_with_ugbl_mepro_gls-tfb.jpg (96.92 KB, 900x600 - viewed 24 times.)

BellatorInvictus

« Reply #11 on: Today at 11:12:02 AM »

Made a prototype of the paracord loop last night on the 3D printer finally. Came out great. Fits perfectly, although I'm already starting to think I may want to make it so I can reuse the threaded steel screw piece that comes with the standard version, so I may redesign this a bit. Either way, the paracord loop looks really accurate to my eye so I'm happy with that.

* IMG_0212.JPG (104.57 KB, 640x480 - viewed 6 times.)

* IMG_0211.JPG (111.74 KB, 640x480 - viewed 5 times.)

* IMG_0210.JPG (64.31 KB, 640x480 - viewed 6 times.)
« Last Edit: Today at 11:15:36 AM by BellatorInvictus » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length