Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2018, 08:06:18 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr AUG AUG icon
| | | |-+  AUG "just in case" parts
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: AUG "just in case" parts  (Read 911 times)
teufelhunden

« on: April 29, 2018, 11:03:53 AM »

Hopefully not a repeat question, but are there any spare parts I should have handy? I have an A3. (Vltor receiver) Maybe parts that tend to wear out or break sooner than others? Not that I will ever wear this rifle out, as I only have maybe 500 rounds through it. Just like having parts on hand. For a second question, besides a charging handle, are there any "must change" parts on this rifle? I hear there are some good trigger replacements out there. Sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks fellas, or maybe ladies.
Jack Flag

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 11:33:53 AM »

to start, there is a small parts kit available from steyr and Pete Athens (http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/augusrparts.html) much cheaper from Pete. http://steyrarms.com/accessories/aug/steyr-aug-spare-parts-kit.html
teufelhunden

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 01:23:07 PM »

to start, there is a small parts kit available from steyr and Pete Athens (http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/augusrparts.html) much cheaper from Pete. http://steyrarms.com/accessories/aug/steyr-aug-spare-parts-kit.html
Perfect. Thank you!
Halmbarte

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 10:24:42 AM »

A guy I know has been shot his pre import ban AUG so much he finally burned out the barrel. He estimated it took over 20 thousand rounds to do that. By his recollection he broke an old style bolt sleeve and a couple of firing pins in that time, both of which are in the factory spares kit.

Personally, I think the stock CH is fine. It's big enough to grip and does't tend to snag.

The only 'must have' for me is the 20/20 aluminum sear. It cleans up the trigger break and shortens the reset w/o changing the pull weight.

H
LazyEngineer

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 11:21:54 AM »

In about 4000 rounds so far, the only part I had break was the cam-pin on my bolt, which isn't in the spare parts kits.  Everything else is running along strong.  

My suggestion is to pick up one of those RatWorx AR-15ejector modified bolts, which aren't that expensive, and takes care of two birds with one stone (spare bolt, AND a part that is modified to use an AR15 extractor, which is cheap and common and will work as well as the AUG extractor).

The spare parts kits themselves are fine, but kind of way the Hell overpriced for what's really in them.  Wait until one of their aggressive Christmas sales and it comes down to the high-end of reasonable (ish).

At some point, I'll probably pick up a spare barrel.  I'm just waiting for them to recognize that 2005 is over, and switch to a faster twist in the 18 or 20" BBL's. 
TBM900
^

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 10:47:03 PM »

I would add a "Barrel Gas System Kit" to the standard "Spares" kit.
Not likely to be worn out or broken.....but likely to be lost.
 Wink

In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.
-Wilbur Wright
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length