Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 06:10:46 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR
| | |-+  MDR FDE VS. Standard Black Issues
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: MDR FDE VS. Standard Black Issues  (Read 3229 times)
Blackandwhiteknight
^

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 11:28:26 PM »

Anyway back on topic! I finally picked up my MDR yesterday and although I haven't shot it yet, I'm very impressed. My only complaint is the tight tolerances when taking upper receiver off the lower receiver. I believe these tolerances may loosen up with a proper break-in but may cause some reliability issues as well with specific ammunition.
I played with both magazine releases and they were very stiff at first but I just depressed them a hundred times throughout the day and now they are much smoother. The trigger is a consistent 5.5 pounds, the bolt release works flawlessly and the charging handles are very smooth (they were stiff at first but manually actuated them into a smooth transition).
I haven't shot the rifle yet but with a strenuous inspection I can't see any issues occurring on the range besides maybe break-in procedures and specific ammunition that accounts for the tolerances.
Another member here has a MDR in the low 1200 range and has had no problems at all with his. Mine is in the very low 1200's too so maybe they conducted quality control on these lot numbers and not others from what I'm hearing

Glad to hear yours is looking good. Black or FDE?
bruteandbear1

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 12:56:39 AM »

Mine is Black Thank God! I've heard issues happening on both rifles but it seems reports of issues on the FDE models are 2-4 times greater then the standard black models.
AF Gunner

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 07:56:36 AM »

Another member here has a MDR in the low 1200 range and has had no problems at all with his. Mine is in the very low 1200's too so maybe they conducted quality control on these lot numbers and not others from what I'm hearing

That would be me. I'm at 500 round and not any issues, so I'm a pretty happy camper with mine. It's kind of weird to me how the serial numbers are all over the place.
Ditcher
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2018, 09:19:44 AM »

That would be me. I'm at 500 round and not any issues, so I'm a pretty happy camper with mine. It's kind of weird to me how the serial numbers are all over the place.

I say they had some many receivers made up waiting on the ejection chute that when they got the parts in finally  they just grabbed what ever s/n was the closet sitting on the racks.

JesseJames38

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2018, 10:11:31 AM »

I don't think the Serial numbers really mean much of anything when it is coming to issues at the moment  mine is in the 120x,  and it went back to DT before a round was fired.  I will say that once it came back there was no issues shooting it in the normal mode.  That that for what it is.

Jesse
mityno1
^

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2018, 12:09:11 PM »

Anytime you have interrupted flow in a assembly line you are introducing many opportunities for inconsistency.

Ideally assembly steps are arranged in an A-Z fashion with QC (Quality Control) inspections steps included at strategic points in the work flow.  

When gaps in parts availability occur, assembly steps must be skipped until those parts become available if production is to continue while waiting for those parts. For example we might have:

A,B,C,D, - H,I,J, - P,Q,R,S,T, - W,X,Y,Z

When parts become available we then have the following steps to complete:

E,F,G, - K,L,M,N,O, - U,V

So the A-Z assembly steps become A-V in this instance.

I suspect many of the reported problems with early MDR deliveries were caused by interrupted assembly sequence rather than design deficiencies because some MDR's have been reported to have round counts in the hundreds with no significant issues not related to break in.

The MDR does appear to require an unusually long break in period and my guess is this is a result of a combination of both its complexity and its tolerance stacking. I don't think the true functionality and reliability of any particular MDR can be known until a round count of at least 1,000 rounds has been reached. I think that is just the nature of the early production beast.

As long as DT has good customer service and fixes any issues a particular MDR may have, I'm cool because I have those thousand .308 rounds standing by in reserve for my MDR's break in which I hope to accomplish soon after I receive mine.

Re: MDR Group Buy - official BPF list!
Reply #360 on: January 04, 2015, 05:29:50 AM
(Still waiting patiently on an FDE...)
mityno1
^

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 12:22:04 PM »

WARNING TO 6.5 CREEDMOOR MDR CONVERTS:

I like the idea of 6.5 Creedmoor and may adopt it someday. But I have no experience with it and only know what I have read about it.

Here is what I have read:

6.5 Creedmoor is somewhat of a barrel burner round. Depending on who you ask, and what particular barrel you have, somewhere between 1,000 and 3 - 4,000 rounds fired, you are going to need a new 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.

A quality .308 barrel should go well over 10,000 rounds with the SCAR17 reported to be designed for 20,000 rounds and some reports of 40,000 rounds in the full auto SCAR-H version have been touted.

Despite the inaccuracies and embellishments one should expect from these kinds of "internets reports," there does seem to be a trend that barrel life for 6.5 Creedmoor may be as little as 10% of the barrel life for .308 with all other factors being equal.

If that is the case, I would urge those thinking about a 6.5 Creedmoor MDR conversion such as myself, to consider doing a thorough break in of the MDR in .308 BEFORE converting it to 6.5 Creedmoor so the the Creedmoor barrel life is not wasted on the MDR break in period. 

Re: MDR Group Buy - official BPF list!
Reply #360 on: January 04, 2015, 05:29:50 AM
(Still waiting patiently on an FDE...)
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 04:36:17 PM »

This was the first I had read about 6.5 being that hard on barrel life.  I did some research and found that the general thought is ~2500 rounds, give or take.  One article put it into perspective when he discussed his 6.5 CM competition rifle that he fired ~2000 rounds over two years during a very active time in his life when he competed.  That came out to ~150 rounds/month, which he felt the average shooter wouldn't reach on a consistent basis. 

That said, my personal opinion is that everything is a trade off; if you want the better ballistics of the 6.5CM over the .308, then you need to built an extra $0.25-$0.50 per round fired and set it aside for a replacement barrel.  For me, I don't see myself ever shooting that much 6.5CM when .308 is much less expensive and I really don't have a range or terrain where I can utilize the 6.5CM to its fullest.  Still, I plan on getting one because...well...shiny.

Kurt
bruteandbear1

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 05:22:39 PM »

I don't think the Serial numbers really mean much of anything when it is coming to issues at the moment  mine is in the 120x,  and it went back to DT before a round was fired.  I will say that once it came back there was no issues shooting it in the normal mode.  That that for what it is.

Jesse

Jesse,

You bring about a very valid point. My MDR is in the 120x as well, therefore, only a few digits away from yours, which means their assembly lines must be unorganized and unorthodox or these early rifles parts  were QC'd while others were looked over.
FunkyTownShooter
^

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 06:49:03 PM »

barrel life also depends on what the user determines as acceptable accuracy. If both barrels start at 1 moa average and you consider it shot out at 2 MOA, the 6.5 CM might last to 5000 rounds and the 308 might last to 10,000 to 20,0000 rounds. Most people shooting 6.5 CM want it to shoot tight little groups and what they call "shot out" might be acceptable/ "having life still" when using it in a semi-auto MDR.
bruteandbear1

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 11:26:34 AM »

I took my MDR out a few days ago (Monday). I was shooting to really old Malaysian surplus (about 100 rounds). The MDR worked perfectly although 2 or 3 duds per magazine with really consistent primer strikes, this ammo was OLD. I shot some PMC M80 ball (only 20 rounds) with not a single hiccup.

JesseJames38

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2018, 12:16:25 PM »

Sounds like everything is going well so far then.   Is this a new rifle or did you buy it used?
bruteandbear1

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2018, 06:37:48 PM »

Sounds like everything is going well so far then.   Is this a new rifle or did you buy it used?
This was a NIB firearm.
Zeiram3f

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2018, 10:29:53 PM »

Idea:

If you want a semi reliable poll, perhaps this post should host a 4 question poll such as the following:

1. I own a black MDR. It is problem free.
2. I own a black MDR. It has at least one problem.
3. I own an FDE MDR. It is problem free.
4. I own an FDE MDR. It has at least one problem.

Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2018, 10:49:19 PM »

2. I own(ed) a black MDR. It has at least one problem.

AE
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 10:42:29 AM »

I took my MDR out a few days ago (Monday). I was shooting to really old Malaysian surplus (about 100 rounds). The MDR worked perfectly although 2 or 3 duds per magazine with really consistent primer strikes, this ammo was OLD. I shot some PMC M80 ball (only 20 rounds) with not a single hiccup.

Also no issues here shooting that ancient Malaysian ball ammo on mine (FDE, not that rifle color likely matters except for polymer strength, possibly).
Have shot at least 100 rounds of it w/out issue.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length