Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2018, 06:48:27 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  MDR *OWNERS* - weigh in
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Poll
Question: Have you sent your MDR in to DT for servicing or not, and will you be keeping your MDR?
Have not shot it yet or put many rounds   -5 (7.6%)
Have rounds through it, no problems, not sent to DT   -8 (12.1%)
Have rounds through it, had problems, sent back to DT (please explain)   -6 (9.1%)
Have rounds through it, have some issues, unsure if sending back to DT at this point   -0 (0%)
Have rounds through it, have some issues but will work out myself/not sending to DT (please explain)   -4 (6.1%)
Like or Love it/keeping it   -12 (18.2%)
Unsure if will be keeping it   -4 (6.1%)
Not keeping it (please explain)   -4 (6.1%)
I don't have an MDR, I just want to vote even thought forum polls all suck Wink   -23 (34.8%)
Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: MDR *OWNERS* - weigh in  (Read 4816 times)
mityno1
^

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 01:22:01 AM »

Great news!  Thanks guys!

I'm moving up the list and hopefully even closer to my delivery date.

Hey, did the rest of you guys still in the GB hear that the MDR's smell like a donkey's arse?  You know you will need a nose plug to shoot the MDR is stinks so bad... better bail out now while you still can...  Grin

Re: MDR Group Buy - official BPF list!
Reply #360 on: January 04, 2015, 05:29:50 AM
(Still waiting patiently on an FDE...)
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 09:08:53 AM »

Great news!  Thanks guys!

I'm moving up the list and hopefully even closer to my delivery date.

Hey, did the rest of you guys still in the GB hear that the MDR's smell like a donkey's arse?  You know you will need a nose plug to shoot the MDR is stinks so bad... better bail out now while you still can...  Grin

Way to jump the line to the gallows, I wish you fair winds and swift travels.  Grin

AE
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:10:24 AM by Aussie E » Logged
waveslayer
^

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 11:55:11 PM »

So far I love it.  I know they are working on some upgrades, the gas system should improve with the new 6 position gas valve.  I'm running reloads, 168 SMK's. I'm getting MOA accuracy.

Here's 5 shots. If the trigger was better then it  would group better

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DesertClimber
New Posting Member

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 02:27:39 AM »

This is my first post here in the MDR group on BPF. I've made posts to the FB group, but thought I would chime in here if anyone is not in that group.

I took delivery of my MDR in September of 2017. I thought all was going to go well, but I had a ripped rim on the very first shot, suppressed setting, with a can. I had shot probably 150 rounds prior to that. Mind you, the early rifles were not shipping with break-in postcards. Overall it was beating the hell out of brass, and having rims that were darn close to being torn off with normal setting, and quality ammo.

I had a few other ripped rims, the trigger was crap and the mag release was (and still is stiff).

The first time I sent it to DT, they sent it right back. No problems found.

I was still getting stuck cases in the chamber, and I also then noticed the charging handle was reciprocating.

The rifle went back to DT again, and it apparently got a new barrel assembly + charging handle latch springs. I still had a couple ripped rims after getting it back, but at least it was only with some reman ammo in LC brass that I was kind of expecting at this point, since that ammo gave me the most fits. Otherwise, the rifle is now running, but with the last ripped rim, the ejector scissor mech got locked up with the tiny piece of brass from the case getting stuck in just the wrong spot.

My last trip was around 100 rounds, and I had 4 ripped case rims (all the same reman ammo, that I will no longer use) and once the ejector scissor panel came flying off by itself during firing. It still beats the living hell out of brass.

Overall, it's a badass rifle. I've probably got around 600 rounds through it, but I have YET to make a single range trip without a fire-fight stopping malfunction.

I really want to try the new 6 position gas valve, then we'll see if I sell it or not based on the results I get. I'm really on the fence.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 10:40:47 AM »

I really want to try the new 6 position gas valve, then we'll see if I sell it or not based on the results I get. I'm really on the fence.

What will you do if DT tries to charge us to fix their overgassing/extraction issues?

Assuming no general recall (which I'm starting to think should happen), I'm waiting to see what DT does RE: the gas adjustment, and if they try to sell it versus sucking up as required to make rifles run reliably (assuming it actually does).

I'm still surprised to hear it's ripping rims off of LC brass, as LC isn't known to be soft brass in .308...
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 11:03:12 AM »

DT already said it will be an optional upgrade once released...the 6-position gas block that is.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 11:56:38 AM »

DT already said it will be an optional upgrade once released...the 6-position gas block that is.

Yeah, and I'm hoping they still see the light in providing a FIX to rifles that can't shoot various ammo reliably, and treat it as a recall or warrantee service.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 01:20:10 PM »

Yeah, and I'm hoping they still see the light in providing a FIX to rifles that can't shoot various ammo reliably, and treat it as a recall or warrantee service.

A recall...that will hurt the CEOs image and tarnish his ego just a little bit. I doubt we will see a recall...if we do...awesome...but that will a huge financial burden on DT...
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 03:50:08 PM »

A recall...that will hurt the CEOs image and tarnish his ego just a little bit. I doubt we will see a recall...if we do...awesome...but that will a huge financial burden on DT...
Would that not be better than being called a liar if someone claims the MDR is shipping in quantity, and is a reliable, accurate battle rifle?

Waiting to see what happens, but someone doesn't need to search hard to hit threads like this, let alone the one on arfcom. 
Seems like 'do what's needed to make it right' would make better marketing and long-term financial sense. 
*shrug*
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 05:03:32 PM »

100% agree...
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 07:51:00 PM »

Would that not be better than being called a liar if someone claims the MDR is shipping in quantity, and is a reliable, accurate battle rifle?

Waiting to see what happens, but someone doesn't need to search hard to hit threads like this, let alone the one on arfcom. 
Seems like 'do what's needed to make it right' would make better marketing and long-term financial sense. 
*shrug*

It appears that "doing what's needed to make it right" is a limited time discount on a limited quantity product...they announced a 6 position gas plug for $79...but for a limited time it may be purchased for $49...

Yeah...that has me a bit upset.  This close to the launch and they're making us pay for an upgrade that should be something we send a part in for a swap...this has all the positive optics of Hillary cackling at the NRA convention.

Kurt
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2018, 01:02:35 AM »

Bumping back up to see if we have any more with problem-free or problem-prone MDRs about a month later now.
TrustVerify
New Posting Member

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2018, 12:32:06 AM »

Yesterday, my expected delivery date was move from July 15 2018 to LATE 4TH QTR, I called for my prepayment refund. My purchase date was May 2016. Accountant stated, " he will start the process and should receive my refund in 4 to 6 weeks"!
mityno1
^

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2018, 04:06:02 AM »

Yesterday, my expected delivery date was move from July 15 2018 to LATE 4TH QTR, I called for my prepayment refund. My purchase date was May 2016. Accountant stated, " he will start the process and should receive my refund in 4 to 6 weeks"!

Your purchase date was May 2016?

Re: MDR Group Buy - official BPF list!
Reply #360 on: January 04, 2015, 05:29:50 AM
(Still waiting patiently on an FDE...)
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2018, 07:21:42 PM »

Nothing out of the ordinary there for a large value refund.  Often, most companies will do it in less time, but there is more to it than some CS person refunding your money.

Kurt
Delmustator

Zombie Outbreak Response Team

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2018, 01:02:48 PM »

Received mine yesterday. Did a complete visual inspection (in detail) to ensure nothing was missing. Everything looked clean, no crap in the barrel, no grime in the chutes. Assembly of the rifle went without issues. All the pins are snug, no flashing issues with the plastic parts. I sat for two hours cycling the action manually, this included exercising the mag releases. Then I exercised the trigger action, with hammer in fired position, for about an hour. At first, everything was a little stiff but smoothed out after a while. I may open up the trigger and polish the surfaces more before I go to the range. But it's pretty smooth as it is now. So we will see. For now, I'm running a Vortex Spitfire AR prism sight on it until I get it broken in. I'm waiting to register for the 6-position gas plug as well (opened 05JUL2018) as I didn't pre-order it. I was hoping it would come pre-installed.. 

I'm going through my ammo to make sure I document which batch is fired and the results. We'll see how things turn out.

So far, I'm happy with the way it looks and feels, now to see if I can get it to perform reliably.

-Del
Blackandwhiteknight
^

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2018, 01:19:07 PM »

Received mine yesterday. Did a complete visual inspection (in detail) to ensure nothing was missing. Everything looked clean, no crap in the barrel, no grime in the chutes. Assembly of the rifle went without issues. All the pins are snug, no flashing issues with the plastic parts. I sat for two hours cycling the action manually, this included exercising the mag releases. Then I exercised the trigger action, with hammer in fired position, for about an hour. At first, everything was a little stiff but smoothed out after a while. I may open up the trigger and polish the surfaces more before I go to the range. But it's pretty smooth as it is now. So we will see. For now, I'm running a Vortex Spitfire AR prism sight on it until I get it broken in. I'm waiting to register for the 6-position gas plug as well (opened 05JUL2018) as I didn't pre-order it. I was hoping it would come pre-installed.. 

I'm going through my ammo to make sure I document which batch is fired and the results. We'll see how things turn out.

So far, I'm happy with the way it looks and feels, now to see if I can get it to perform reliably.

Polishing the trigger makes a world of difference.  I should have taken pictures before I polished mine.  The engagement surfaces from the factory weren't even flat or smooth. You can't take the creep out of it without seriously tweaking things, but you can get rid of all the grit and some of the weight.  The springs are a little difficult to get oriented when going back together.  I would recommend carefully photographing before disassembly. 

You may want to check your feed ramps and ejection chute for burs as well.  My MDR shoots much better after I cleaned it up a bit.  Enjoy the rifle, it's a blast to shoot.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length