Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2018, 10:37:41 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Short stroking and fail to feed issues with new A3M1
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Short stroking and fail to feed issues with new A3M1  (Read 1690 times)
Mdooz

« on: April 16, 2018, 10:50:59 PM »

Hey everyone. Some of you may have responded to my previous thread about my trigger pack ineptitude. I appreciate the feedback I got there. Maybe you can share some experience with me. I got a new A3M1 (non nato) last Tuesday and when i took it to the range, I had several feeding issues. I was using 55gr independence 5.56 and 55gr pmc bronze .223. The .223 would fail to feed with every other shot. It seemed to be short stroking. The pmc performed a little better, but it seemed to be at a 25% fail rate. I tried three different steyr mags, same issues. The gun had been lubed prior to shooting, except for the gas system. After the first range trip, I cleaned the gas system thoroughly. There was a thin layer of black stuff on the piston, which was very difficult to remove. After that,  I went back to the range. I used the same ammo, plus some 62 gr 5.56. Same issues. The 62 performed well on normal, with maybe a ftf every now and then, I cant remember. But when I placed the gas setting on adverse, it ate everything. I'm wondering if you guys ever had to break in your aug on adverse, or if it performed right out of the box. Someone posted on my last thread that they had to break theirs in on adverse. Just wondering if this is a known issue. I would love to just be able to shoot anything on normal settings.

I also forgot to mention, my bolt doesn't lock open on an empty magazine, and it's very difficult to lock the bolt back by rotating it clockwise. Everytime I do it, it just moves forward all the way.

Thanks for being patient, I'm new to augs and semi auto rifles in general. You guys have been more than helpful.

* 20180411_164329.jpg (2799.14 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 125 times.)

* 20180411_164355.jpg (3068.03 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 104 times.)

* 20180411_164412.jpg (3437.33 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 103 times.)
raycao881204

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 11:28:05 PM »

Did you lube the bolt carrier group and the bolt sleeve like an AR? If so, don't. Follow the lube instruction from the manual. By the way AUG factory mags are not as good as you think(read my reply in your previous post). Try the Pmag from magpul see if you still have FTF. If you know someone at the range with a working AUG and a working AUG factory mag on that person's AUG, try that person's mag on your AUG and see if you still have FTF. If so, send your rifle back to Steyr. If not then you know it is your mags.
THX1138

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 11:41:17 PM »

I recommend setting and leaving your gas on adverse for the first few hundred rounds. I own several AUG's and they all had some hiccups on the normal/default gas setting out of the box with standard factory ammo (especially if it wasn't hotter 5.56).
Jack Flag

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 12:14:26 AM »

I haven't had issues with any of my AUGs out of the box. But as THX1138 said. Make sure it's lube to factory specs. And run it on adverse for a bit. Should clear up the issues.

5.56 spec ammo to start over .223 would be a good idea as well if you have some.
Mdooz

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 06:28:05 AM »

Did you lube the bolt carrier group and the bolt sleeve like an AR? If so, don't. Follow the lube instruction from the manual. By the way AUG factory mags are not as good as you think(read my reply in your previous post). Try the Pmag from magpul see if you still have FTF. If you know someone at the range with a working AUG and a working AUG factory mag on that person's AUG, try that person's mag on your AUG and see if you still have FTF. If so, send your rifle back to Steyr. If not then you know it is your mags.

Thanks for the advice. I can only use steyr mags in my aug though. I lubed it to factory settings.

To everyone else, thanks. I'll run it on adverse for a while.
THX1138

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 10:13:34 AM »

The likely reason its short stroking and FTF is because the ammo may not be hot enough to cycle the bolt carrier with enough force. Some of the hiccups I've experienced when brand new on standard gas setting were failure to strip another round off the mag, and failure to lock the bolt back on empty mag. Both of which were because the ammo wasn't hot enough to overcome the brand new AUG bolt carrier springs. The FTF could also be related to that. When you fire on standard gas setting with, say standard .223, the bolt carrier might be coming back just barely enough to strip the round off the mag, but didn't get enough rearward travel to pick up the force needed to feed the round into the chamber. Like I said, set it on adverse and just leave it there for awhile. Once you've broken the AUG in a bit, you can start moving it back to normal gas.
raycao881204

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 12:21:44 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I can only use steyr mags in my aug though. I lubed it to factory settings.

Magpul makes a Pmag for AUG called Pmag AUS gen3. It is for non-nato AUG stock. I highly recommend it.
Mdooz

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 05:00:50 PM »

Magpul makes a Pmag for AUG called Pmag AUS gen3. It is for non-nato AUG stock. I highly recommend it.

I'll have to check that out!

The likely reason its short stroking and FTF is because the ammo may not be hot enough to cycle the bolt carrier with enough force. Some of the hiccups I've experienced when brand new on standard gas setting were failure to strip another round off the mag, and failure to lock the bolt back on empty mag. Both of which were because the ammo wasn't hot enough to overcome the brand new AUG bolt carrier springs. The FTF could also be related to that. When you fire on standard gas setting with, say standard .223, the bolt carrier might be coming back just barely enough to strip the round off the mag, but didn't get enough rearward travel to pick up the force needed to feed the round into the chamber. Like I said, set it on adverse and just leave it there for awhile. Once you've broken the AUG in a bit, you can start moving it back to normal gas.

Thank you. I'll keep working at it.
Mdooz

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 10:06:53 PM »

400 rounds in and it's still being finicky. Still running flawlessly on adverse. Been using 55gr and 62gr.
Halmbarte

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 11:31:55 AM »

400 rounds in and it's still being finicky. Still running flawlessly on adverse. Been using 55gr and 62gr.

Iíd be contacting Steyr at this point. Something ainít right with that rifle.

H
Mdooz

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 08:31:07 PM »

Actually worked 100% on normal gas setting. I think the spring just needed some TLC
Jack Flag

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 10:37:25 PM »

Actually worked 100% on normal gas setting. I think the spring just needed some TLC

Good to see that it seems to be clearing up. Sucks if your gun needed a "break in", but some seem to do. But that shouldn't be necessary.

What also may help. Is when you are not shooting the rifle. Leave the bolt locked back (o mag. A quick fix for some issues.
DOWNS

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 10:59:05 PM »

I had some minor short stroking issues on steel case for the first few hundred rounds.   Since then I've had no issues.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length