Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2018, 08:37:37 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  Lets See If I Can Break It (My MDR)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print
Author Topic: Lets See If I Can Break It (My MDR)  (Read 19230 times)
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #180 on: October 13, 2018, 05:48:11 PM »

Received my rifle back today. Had a bit of a chuckle as it was packaged in a Palmetto State Armory box. This time it still had its service tag attached and in the box was a letter from another customer talking about a barrel (not MDR) being sent in for some work. As I'm typing this, I'm looking over at the box and realized I never checked the outside paperwork... maybe more goodies to be found.

Anyways, broke down my rifle and looked everything over because for once I actually had some time. Few random thoughts before I head to the range tomorrow.

The lower's fit to the upper is atrocious. It is having to flex (somewhat) slightly for all three pins to be engaged. Due to this overly tight fit I have developed a patent pending (/sarcasm) DT MDR Take Down Pin Tool. Only one in the world, that I know of, and is available for purchase at the low low one time price of $3500!

Seriously, I threw this together out of parts I had lying around and it makes it about a million times easier to remove the pins and re-install them. MDR Range kit needs one of these, a rod for tapping stuck cases, and a torque wrench.
Back to the fit; With the front two pins installed I have to press the upper receiver down towards the lower while siamotainously pushing the buttplate towards the muzzle. On top of this, because the fit is so "tight" its possible for the pin to enter the rear trunnion and then strike the inside of the upper receiver due to cant and open space.

I suspect I know (one of?) the reason(s) the front magazine releases are so "heavy" and break in. Can't tell more without disassembly, and I'm not willing to go that far on a gun I haven't even confirmed function on. It looks like the magazine release buttons are rubbing against the top side of the lower receiver internally. In my picture you might be able to see some flaring where the polymer lower (internally) meets the magazine release buttons. This might explain or contribute to why the fronts are "heavy" and the rear seems better.

^ not sure why it rotated after being uploaded, but I don't care enough right now to try to fix it

All of the issues, which I could check at home, that I sent the MDR in for service seem to be resolved. So theres that at least.

In the ask me anything thread someone asked about the drop safety aspect of the MDR. The response thus far was the rifle is safe if the gun is on safe. Looking at my lower, I wonder how much force it would take to jar components in the trigger group separate from the trigger and trigger bar. (The trigger bar only acts upon the trigger group, it does not secure it. The trigger and trigger bar, however, are secured by the safety.)

Also, CBM if you're reading this you should totally respond to my email!  Tongue

This is what Aussie is talking about
cjgemm
^

« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2018, 06:51:42 PM »

PSA box just screams just screams cheap / barely making it. Very sad from a so(self)-called top tier boutique gun manufacturer. I for one would never purchase another DT product after reading this.

"Desert Tech , even our employees choose PSA over our own offerings!"

AE

So what does a manufacture sending something in a Midway box scream?

Just curious if I should ever do business with GAP again...
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2018, 08:51:40 PM »

PSA box just screams just screams cheap / barely making it. Very sad from a so(self)-called top tier boutique gun manufacturer. I for one would never purchase another DT product after reading this.

AE

Here's my take, if a client / customer sent me something in a competitors packaging I would swap it out for my packaging just to make the client / customer appreciate my product even more. I have had Leupold do this when I sent in a scope in for service / reticle change. GAP doesn't have the lack of customer care that DT has shown with the release of the MDR, but it's your choice to do business with them again or not. I have stated my choice on future business with DT.

AE
cjgemm
^

« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2018, 09:37:14 PM »

AE

Here's my take, if a client / customer sent me something in a competitors packaging I would swap it out for my packaging just to make the client / customer appreciate my product even more. I have had Leupold do this when I sent in a scope in for service / reticle change. GAP doesn't have the lack of customer care that DT has shown with the release of the MDR, but it's your choice to do business with them again or not. I have stated my choice on future business with DT.

AE

George's Name on the sender line was good enough for me...

This forum is great, I'm always entertained.  Hopefully the Leupold box made up for the scopes lack of tracking.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:44:51 AM by cjgemm » Logged
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #184 on: October 14, 2018, 07:40:58 AM »

AE

AE

George's Name on the sender line was good enough for me...

This forum is great, I'm always entertained.  Hopefully the Luepold box made up for the scopes lack of tracking.

No, they did also send me a tracking number, UPS if I remember correctly.

Wink

AE
cjgemm
^

« Reply #185 on: October 14, 2018, 11:04:59 AM »

The irony is killing me...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length