Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2018, 08:07:25 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  Lets See If I Can Break It (My MDR)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Lets See If I Can Break It (My MDR)  (Read 17226 times)
CabbitOne
^

« on: April 16, 2018, 09:41:56 PM »

I decided I'd start a topic to document my (hopefully pleasant) experience with the MDR. I'll keep updating this original post as I add information and add a simple reply of "updated" and answer any questions I catch. I'm going to try to be as thorough as possible, documenting everything I can think of, and adding pictures. I'm also going to try to remember to take higher resolution photos of anything significant. So here it goes:

My MDR should be arriving at my FFL on Wednesday(04/18/18) and I plan on picking up up Friday (04/20/18) with a range trip the following day. Initial outing will just be a break-in and to try to get a feel for the rifle. I'll have three magazines with me and be shooting new Lake City M80 Ball. Assuming it doesn't fall to pieces on me, I'll follow up with an accuracy report in the subsequent weeks. For the initial trip, the MDR will only be sporting an Aimpoint Micro T-1 that I'm stealing from a different gun. I'll find...something... to run for a little more precise work.

(04/16/18)
I loaded up two magazines in preparation for my first outing with the MDR. Both are unused and were sealed in their package prior to today. One is a 25 round Lancer magazine in Translucent Dark Earth. The other is an old generation 20 round non-windowed PMAG in black. Both were fully loaded to allow the springs to set. PMAG date code is 06/2010. LANCER date code is 10/2016.

(04/21/18)
Picked up the rifle yesterday but unfortunately I didn't get to play around with it till very late at night. The packaging in nice, though I can see sending a disassembled rifle being an issue for a good chunk of the market. Along that line, stupid me forgot I needed an 80 in/lb to put it together. So that + horrible weather has delayed my first outing.

Went ahead and loaded the factory 20 round PMAG date code 02/17 yesterday.

First impressions (external and controls). It's a little ass heavy. Not bad, but it's noticeable. Not an issue at all once it's in the shoulder. Reminded me the first time I picked up a Tavor SAR after shooting AUGs forever. The foregrip, seems fragile which makes sense since people seem to be breaking them. The more I think about it, the more disappointed I am with their execution of the top rail. By making it part of the receiver it canít be replaced. It canít be replaced and is very short. The extension would normally be the hand guard but Iíd hesitate running anything precise on the factory hand guard. Furthermore they did away with the factory integral front sight(not a big deal) but replaced it with a single rail slot. Iím sorry, but I feel as though it either should be 2-3 slots to accommodate irons or a variety of red dot mounts OR should be gone entirely allowing aftermarket handguard rails to fit against the recover. It almost seems like they tried to go halfway in two different directions. All of this to add that you cannot (easily) access the gas regulator without an aftermarket tool.

While Iím on it about the handgaurd, the attachment method isnít how I would have done it. Not saying itís wrong, but the single crossbolt and 30 in/lb torqued mlok pads seem like an odd choice.

The trigger, at least on my example, is quite serviceable. No, its not a Shooting Sight or Geissele, but I'd take this any day over my gen 1 SAR trigger. Very curious to see how it changes with use. The barrel lock control could us much more of a positive indexing. Not quite mush, but you really have to try to feel where it aligns. Not a huge fan of the position/type of selector switch, hope it will be addressed with aftermarket options. I'm not a fan of the charging handles. They feel like an afterthought. They, at least to me, don't follow the lines of the rifle and look almost as though they should be hinging in a different area. They're the wrong shape for how the rifle operates. Along those lines, personal preference is I wish it had a forward assist or a way to manually move the bolt forward. The hinge down to retract isn't a positive or negative to me, but it might help those who fear knocking the rifle out of battery.

The magazine release on my rifle is pretty heavy. I wouldn't necessarily call it stiff, more it feels weighty to me (heavy spring? long fulcrum?). I've been working the right side button and it seems to be improving, or maybe my finger is just getting stronger. lol. Right now I'm at 500 reps. Mine didn't seem as bad as some have reported where they had to use two thumbs to maybe compress it. I could do it with my trigger finger, just wasn't fun/easy. Haven't had time to mess around with the left side or the rear.

Once I pick up a 80 in/lb wrench, I plan to run the charging handle 100-200 times before I actually take the gun to the range.

Putting the rifle together, before I had the hand guard on, made me lust over the idea of an MDR-C in .300 BLK.

I'll follow up later/tomorrow/soon with my impression of the internals.

(bonus 04/21/18 update)
Just tried the gen 1 PMAG in it. Locked up fine. Was able to remove it fine. Left the rifle alone for a bit. Just picked it up and noticed all the magazine releases are dead. As in they just flop loosely around. Oh and of course, nothing will lock into the magwell. I'll post again when/if I find a solution.
Ran the CH a few times letting it slam home, and suddenly the problem righted itself. Tried the PMAG that came with the rifle and it produced the same issue. Noticed the magazine is sticking in the open position. Again the CH slamming fixed it. Tried and it happened again, this time magazine catch returned to normal but I still have dead magazine releases and no magazine will even attempt to lock into the rifle.
Looks like I'll be calling DT on Monday. Had a couple of minutes so I pulled the lower. I'm honestly disappointed by what I'm looking at. There is basically a long arm that connects all three magazine release buttons. This arm acts upon the magazine catch. Well the end of that arm that acts upon the catch is SUPPOSED to slide in a slot in the edge of the receiver. Well either because its damaged and/or poorly designed its able to escape that slot. I'm including three pictures I took that might help explain the issue. Also the polymer near the slot looks chipped/cracked/worked on. I'd love to see a picture of someone else's MDR to see if this is how this area normally looks. First and last photo show after I managed to get it back in the slot. Second photo shows it popping out.

^ Has anyone tried the Warranty Claim option on their web portal? I just filled it out, but I'll call on Monday anyways. Also want to add that I'm underwhelmed with the alignment between the upper and lower... I'll go into more detail on that later.

(04/23/18)
I called 1 hour before the warranty department opened (because I'm stupid and forgot about the time zone). Called right when they opened +2 min. And called 30 min after they opened. Voicemail every time. Left a message asking for them to call me back and explained briefly what's going on. Will see how long it takes. Just called again one hour later, spoke with someone who requested I send photos with my contact info. Email has been sent, now I wait again. Figure if I donít hear back before end of day Iíll call again. I know Iím not being patient...oh well.
Well I just tried calling after having (wrongly) assumed that the service department would close at 1700 Utah time. Apparently they close at 1500... I guess I won't be hearing anything back about my issue today...

(04/24/18)
Just called one hour prior to the service department closing. Got the voicemail again. Again, left a message with name, phone number, and recounting all the times I've tried thus far to get a response.
Noticed DT posted something on Facebook so I thought, what the hell I'll try messaging them. Loe and behold, Kyle responded to me and is presently getting me an RMA #

(04/25/18)
On its way back to DT. *fingers crossed*
I'll also add that I ran the left side CH 100 times and the right side 100 times.

(04/30/18)
Rifle received by DT today. Already received an email indicating that the service has been completed and is on its way back to me.
I asked what caused the issue or if there is something I should or should not be doing to prevent a reoccurrence. Apparently the magazine release bar was a bit short and that caused the issue. In spite of my issue, I'm still very excited to get the rifle back and actually shoot it.

(05/03/18)
Fun story. I received a rifle back today. I say "a" rifle and not "my" rifle for a reason. So, here is what happened.
I received a fun white MDR box on my doorstep. After bringing it inside and opening it up I was greeted with a beautiful FDE MDR. I opened up the included PMAG and loaded it up. Then I slipped the disassemble rifle out of the plastic wrap and tried the magazine release. Success! it worked without falling apart. It was also noticeably lighter than when I originally tried my rifle. Then being the OCD person I am, I rolled the receiver over to inspect it and continue testing everything. CH works fine... Wait a second, thats not my serial number!
Quick email over to the Warranty Service at DT. My first thought was surely its not the wrong rifle, something must have been wrong with my receiver as well. Nope, receiver was fine. Wrong rifle. My rifle is arriving elsewhere today.
After emailing back and forth and having a enojoyable phone call, I have an overnight shipping label and everything is supposed to be getting resolved.
I'll of course post an update whenever I receive (hopefully) my rifle.
Oh and I'm sure someone will ask, the paperwork with the rifle was not mine. The rifle I currently have was sent in for "Customer broke off pistol grip"
My only regret in all of this is I had hoped to get a black lower... you know for the two-tone look.... and maybe more durable polymer... but no such luck.

(05/07/18)
Received my rifle back today. Assembled everything. So far, only two things are worth mentioning. The barrel lock detent seems more pronounced in both positions. Wasn't told anything was done to this area of the rifle. Perhaps, this is breaking in as well?
The magazine release is heavy. Heavier than my gun was originally and CONSIDERABLY heavier than the gun I had for a day. I'll be curious to see if this breaks in or if I end up contacting DT again. Right now, its impossible to use with my index finger while holding the pistol grip. It can manage it just fine with my thumb.

*500 reps per side, and a few other random presses, and its begun to wear. Still challenging to press, but possible from the pistol grip. A cursory visual inspection isn't showing any sings of damage to the polymer retaining protrusion.
The right side release remains harder to actuate than the left side. Upon closer inspection it actually sits slightly more inward(as if depressed) than the left side while at rest. Furthermore, when compressed the right side is pretty much flush with the lower while the left side protrudes somewhat. Kind of hard to get a picture illustrating this, but here it goes.

A little after rep 1000, I started messing around doing magazine changes. I had one instance where the magazine release transfer bar partially slipped from its groove and locked the magazine catch in the open position. My first thought was to press on the catch, but thinking about the tiny polymer retaining tab forced me to separate the upper and lower to check for signs of damage and to help guide the transfer bar back into its slot. (Was concerned pressing on the catch may damage that tab.)

Currently on rep 1300-ish and working the rear magazine release. Going of perception of weight, right now Iíd be happier if the rear was the only release and more pronounced.

(05/09/18) First range trip on page 3, apparently Iíve exceeded the character limit on a single post.

If I forgot to detail anything or you want to know something, please ask!

* Magazines.JPG (1463.44 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 208 times.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:47:52 AM by CabbitOne » Logged
Blackandwhiteknight
^

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 11:01:30 PM »

Congratulations on getting your rifle.  I'm 550 rounds into my MDR experience and I can't keep from shooting it any time I get.  I let my buddy run a few mags through it and he says he wants one now. Cheesy  Good choice on the LC M80.  I've had no issues running it through the MDR, it seems to like it.  The Lancer mag would give me pause though.  Hopefully that was a good batch.  Have fun shooting. Interested to see how it goes.
newguy2k3

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 08:57:54 AM »

Very curious to hear if the gen 1 pmag works in yours. They fell out of mine in stock form.
CabbitOne
^

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 09:06:57 PM »

*updated*

* IMG_2993.JPG (1807.47 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 131 times.)

* IMG_2994.JPG (1907.76 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 167 times.)

* IMG_2995.JPG (1758.71 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 186 times.)

* IMG_2996.JPG (1736.14 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 238 times.)
CabbitOne
^

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 12:29:30 AM »

*updated* sigh

* IMG_3002.JPG (1610.44 KB, 3024x4032 - viewed 278 times.)

* IMG_3003.JPG (1729.03 KB, 3024x4032 - viewed 259 times.)

* IMG_3004.JPG (1711.72 KB, 3024x4032 - viewed 269 times.)
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 09:41:39 AM »

Whatís with the cheap polymer being used?  First the hand guards now the receivers...  CabbitOne, sorry to see this...Iíd be pissed, especially after dropping close to $3k.  Just seems like with each new member posting about their MDR...it's because there's a problem with it.  

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 10:03:14 AM by HBeretta » Logged
CabbitOne
^

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 11:39:57 AM »

Whatís with the cheap polymer being used?  First the hand guards now the receivers...  CabbitOne, sorry to see this...Iíd be pissed, especially after dropping close to $3k.  Just seems like with each new member posting about their MDR...it's because there's a problem with it.  

Donít know if itís cheap polymer or maybe just the wrong polymer. Sometimes I wonder if perhaps they designed the weapon with one material in mind and then used a different material on the product guns. Not necessarily cheaper, just the wrong spec.
Also wonder if the Black rifles are less/more prone to these polymer related failures. Perhaps the process theyíre using to color the FDE is brittlizing the polymer.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:47:37 AM by CabbitOne » Logged
newguy2k3

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 01:04:18 PM »

I'm not sure if it applies here but I thought I read that one of the reasons Magpul had never put out a fde 308 mag is that the fde polymer is inherently weaker because of something with the chemistry of it.

I didn't think about that when I ordered mine.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 01:42:38 PM »

I'm not sure if it applies here but I thought I read that one of the reasons Magpul had never put out a fde 308 mag is that the fde polymer is inherently weaker because of something with the chemistry of it.

I didn't think about that when I ordered mine.

guess we'll have to wait and see how the tavor7 fares considering they're releasing in fde as well.
hillbillyjim
^

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 02:24:48 PM »

I havenít really paid attention but are the mdr that coming up with issues all been fde? 
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 03:52:12 PM »

Problems continue...sad day.

That polymer does look "cheap"...meaning...weak....
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 03:55:13 PM »

It doesn't feel "cheap", either.  Given that this appears to be a random issue, it could be a curing issue.

Kurt
Box

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 04:03:25 PM »

My confidence in the Gen 1 MDR is at zero after all the various and consistent issues Iíve read about across several places.   I really hope it all gets resolved.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 04:21:12 PM »

It doesn't feel "cheap", either.  Given that this appears to be a random issue, it could be a curing issue.

Everything seems to be a random issue to you...what these "random" issues do uncover...is the lack of actual quality to the end user. These random issue reports with the MDR paints an awful picture of DT's struggle to solidify their QA and QC with the platform. I think we will have to wait for the MDR Gen 2 offering if we want a rifle we can trust...at least in 308...I do strongly hope that the 5.56 variant will have less issues...

DT's saving grace right now I think at this point is the Customer Service Department...obviously DT knows there are ongoing issues with the released MDRs in its current design, materials and manufacturing...we won't ever really know officially....but at least they are taking care of the issues quickly.

I am just glad you all are the guinea pigs this time on a new platform and not me....

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:23:29 PM by thehun » Logged
CabbitOne
^

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 04:42:25 PM »

It doesn't feel "cheap", either.  Given that this appears to be a random issue, it could be a curing issue.

Really though, at the end of the day how many of us can speak with authority as to the true feel vs value of plastics and polymers? To me, PMAGS ďfeelĒ cheap. But I think many people would set me on fire for that opinion. Let me be clear, Iím in no way saying PMAGs are cheap, mearly illustrating the ďfeelĒ is not a good gauge when it comes to such materials.

Iíll also ask again, can anyone share a picture of the afflicted area on a working MDR?
Whoops

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 05:31:00 PM »

Yeah, having put a down payment on an MDR I'm not super confident. I have a loose checklist running in my head that will help me decide if I'm gonna be selling it, keeping it and sending it back to DT, or just plain keep it. I'm planning on doing a pretty detailed write-up once I get mine, first impressions, first range trip, and then endurance testing.
JesseJames38

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 05:40:00 PM »

I have not read or seen any issues of the polymer with the black rifles.   I know i didnt see any issues with my rifle with the polymer parts when i sent it back to DT.  My rifle should be back wed, and i will take another gander on the inside along with the origional issues i sent the rifle in for.

Jesse
Box

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 06:15:47 PM »

Yeah, having put a down payment on an MDR I'm not super confident. I have a loose checklist running in my head that will help me decide if I'm gonna be selling it, keeping it and sending it back to DT, or just plain keep it. I'm planning on doing a pretty detailed write-up once I get mine, first impressions, first range trip, and then endurance testing.

I look forward to it.  We need more of this.
Blackandwhiteknight
^

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 07:06:34 PM »

Really though, at the end of the day how many of us can speak with authority as to the true feel vs value of plastics and polymers? To me, PMAGS ďfeelĒ cheap. But I think many people would set me on fire for that opinion. Let me be clear, Iím in no way saying PMAGs are cheap, mearly illustrating the ďfeelĒ is not a good gauge when it comes to such materials.

Iíll also ask again, can anyone share a picture of the afflicted area on a working MDR?

CabbitOne
^

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 07:22:34 PM »

Thanks!
So based on that picture the little retaining tab on mine cracked and broke off. Perhaps not the best way to retain the end of that arm.
I suspect, and I have no basis for this suspicion, that the magazine well conversion for the 5.56 magazines would prevent this from happening.
I also suspect if you ONLY ever press the magazine release with a magazine inserted it would increase the life of that tab. However, youíd need to have released the magazine release prior to the magazine clearing that portion of the well.

Continuing down the path of my rambling thoughts, it would seem the polymer needs to be more elastic or that area should be cut away and replaced with a metal insert.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 07:29:53 PM by CabbitOne » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length