Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 10:28:18 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Kel-Tec RFB, RDB, M-43 (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  RFB Questions
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RFB Questions  (Read 376 times)
tommytwoguns

« on: April 15, 2018, 10:27:27 AM »

Been thinking about getting an RFB for a while and read lots of posts here and other places.  Currently have a couple of Tikkas in Creedmoor and CZ handguns.  Both are known for great CQ; something Keltec seems to have a problem with.  I worry about buying a used RFB since some bad ones seem to have gotten out.  Also not sure about the barrel length.  As a LRP shooter I am use to shooting sub MOA every time I go to the range; something I am not expecting from the RFB.  But I wonder about how much improvement you will get from the longer barrel.  Most likely I would be using the RFB to hunt hogs in Florida after I get it set up at the range.  Realistically what kinda range are you guys getting with an RFB; I have seen things posted about ~150-200 as useable but after that it is not quite so accurate.  It is a big no no to wound a hog in most places; you need to put it down with the first shot.  Last question I use LimbSavers on all my rifles and wondering if there are RFB owners who use them and if so how well they work.  Internet posts claim the recoil on the RFB is less than what one would normally expect with a .308; any comments on that or other topics welcome.
Ronmar

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 10:49:13 PM »

I love my RFB, but It will probably only ever be minute of badguy accurate.  Basically they gave it a machinegun chamber, and it has a very long throat.  The bullet has to jump this distance to engage lands and grooves and this makes for an inconsistent rifeling engagement.  The max length round that fits in the fal mag prevents loading long to try and overcome this.  It does appear from conversations I have been involved with over on the KTOG forum that they may have improved this chamber situation somewhat from earlier models but still sub moa is prettymuch unheard of.  I get my best groupings with steel cased tula ammo($10 a box at wallmart:)), and I believe this is because the steel case deforms less during the shot resulting in a more consistent lbullet jump and land and groove engagement.  I get around 1.5 MOA, and IMO 3 groups at 200 yards should be plenty adequate for a hog hunt(how often do you even get a 200 yard shot anyway).  Havnt heard from enough long barrel RFB owners to have any idea of its accuracy.  The chamber is the biggest flaw IMO with the RFB and KTs biggest blunder on the platform. They should have used a SAMI spec 308 chamber.

You wont need a limbsaver.  The RFB with properly adjusted gas system shoots more like an AR in terms of recoil.  I call it the ultimate girlie gun.  When I really want to stop the show, I hand it to my 54 wife and she steps up to the line and dumps a mag.  Everyone stops what they are doing to watch:)...
tommytwoguns

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 03:37:16 PM »

Thanks for your comments.  Like I posted I have a P90 which has a recoil like a .22.  For me that is the ultimate girlie gun.  Not to mention it can do a 50 round mag dump.

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length