Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2018, 10:45:09 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Kel-Tec RFB, RDB, M-43 (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  Would you trust YOUR RDB for home defense?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Would you trust YOUR RDB for home defense?  (Read 2448 times)
Potss
^

« on: April 12, 2018, 02:04:44 PM »

Not SHTF, not the jungles of Cambodia, just home and property defense.  In other words, do you find the RDB that YOU own to be reliable enough to trust you life to in a bump in the night or broken window situation?
Bullpup777

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 05:37:55 PM »

Love the gun and the concept.  Great competition, range, and plinker gun.  But for defending my wife and daughter, would have to go with an IWI or AR product The IWI and AR guns have been perfected through years of development by large military defence companies.  I think the RDB has great potential but needs more time and refinement before I would consider it above and AR or IWI platform to defend my loved ones.  I have read to many stories of basic things breaking on the gun.  Love the platform, more refinement and history without issues needed.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 06:02:44 PM »

Not SHTF, not the jungles of Cambodia, just home and property defense.  In other words, do you find the RDB that YOU own to be reliable enough to trust you life to in a bump in the night or broken window situation?

i'm around or just over 3000 rounds fired through the gun.  only issue i've had was firing pin breaking which they remedied in 3 days with several for backup/consolation.  otherwise i haven't had a single issue.  the 20 gas adjustment settings allow for such fine tuning the gun hardly gets dirty it runs so efficient.

i'm apart of ktog so i'm aware of user issues but that would be a small sample size assuming kel-tec has many out in the wild seeing as they have a hard time keeping them stocked.  no issues with steel cased ammo either.  

in the event of...yeah i'd grab it...to make sure it was out of the way when reaching for my fs2000.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:53:15 PM by HBeretta » Logged
Whoops

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 01:18:05 PM »

So, technically I don't own it but I'll just check in for my dad here- no. Not at all. At first the gas adjustment system broke on us pretty quick (maybe 3-4 mags deep). Now that we have it back, we've had it completely "freeze" twice, I have to strip down the RDB to get it fixed. At first I thought I was just stupid and not using the bolt release properly because that's where the bolt is freezing, but the bolt release is frozen too. The only part not frozen is the charging handle and no matter what you do, it does nothing.
Bullpup777

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 01:52:16 PM »

QUOTE:  So, technically I don't own it but I'll just check in for my dad here- no. Not at all. At first the gas adjustment system broke on us pretty quick (maybe 3-4 mags deep). Now that we have it back, we've had it completely "freeze" twice, I have to strip down the RDB to get it fixed. At first I thought I was just stupid and not using the bolt release properly because that's where the bolt is freezing, but the bolt release is frozen too. The only part not frozen is the charging handle and no matter what you do, it does nothing.

I am on Ktog as well. In ref to the quote above, I have not had, or heard of failures like this with the X95 or PWS AR platform to include firing pins.  I owe it to my family to protect them with the most reliable firearm I can afford.  Love the RDB, will protect my family with the X95 and PWS. 
Laserbait

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 04:02:21 PM »

I would, without a doubt.   It's been perfectly reliable.  I took it right out of the box, and shot it without cleaning or oiling. I gave it it's first cleaning after 1000 rounds, just because I thought I should.  Took about 20 minutes.  2nd cleaning came at about 2000 rounds, I took my time and scrubbed the internals a bit more.  I'm about 1000 rounds past that cleaning and it still is flawless, so I might run it to 3000 rounds.

- Joseph
Bushmaster M17S   - JARD J67
Keltec RFB 18"   - Keltec RDB 1:9
Potss
^

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 07:44:48 PM »

This is about what I figured.  The design is sound, but the QC isn't still.  A 50/50 chance of a reliable rifle so far.  Keep posting folks, very curious.  Maybe I should have made this a poll.
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 12:43:31 AM »

For home and property defense? Yes. People have many thousands of rounds through their RDBs without issues. Mine runs like a champ.

Would I trust it in a 'head for the hills' SHTF situation? That, I'm not so certain. If I were faced with a SHTF situation, I would probably take my Colt 6920, until the RDB is better understood in terms of its capabilities and limits. Of all my rifles though, the decision would come down to between my RDB and AR15.

However, my current home defense long-gun is my Mossberg 500.  I just wish there were a decent bullpup shotgun available as my only criticism of my Mossy is its length and it's nose heavy.  Sad
savagebrother

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 11:24:56 PM »

I would use mine for home defense, it's worked right since day 1. Butttt I didn't get it out of the box and try to shoot 2000 rounds in an hour thru it!!!!  Not knocking anyone on here but I have been to the range to many times and watch a group of young men get out there rifles fill up 5-10 mags of ammo and then stand there and shoot until the ammos gone or something breaks or the guns get to hot to handle!!!!
If they ever really need those guns, well let's just say they will make easy targets.
SB
commoncents
^

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 12:03:47 AM »

anyone running a can on their RDB?  and is that your go to rig for HD?    i have a 300BO ar pistol and considering getting a can for it for my setup, or perhaps RDB with can. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 12:09:59 AM by commoncents » Logged
docfuji

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 09:26:02 AM »

I have a YHM LT30 can that I've shot on my RDB.  I like it A LOT more than shooting the same can on my Tavor.  No gas face from the RDB, and having an adjustable gas system is really nice for dialing in the recoil impulse with a suppressor on it. That said, I would NEVER use it for anything "serious" like home defense.  My round count on the rifle is pretty low (around 400 so far), but the first time I had a case fail to extract from the chamber it took disassembly to clear it.  There are better immediate action drills for other firearms, but with the RDB you don't really have any way to access the chamber quickly or intuitively.  The RDB is a really cool design, and fun to shoot, but not what I'd reach for in an emergency.  And if a malfunction turns my rifle into a club, I want a more solid club than the RDB. 

* 20180816_182441.jpg (4308.25 KB, 4160x3120 - viewed 103 times.)
waffenmeister

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 05:35:38 AM »

Here is my honest opinion

RDB essentially is a battle rifle designed for city combat and security service.
Yes, it is not reliable in terms of firing pin and ejector retainers, but ergonomically it is the rifle you expect to be god in crawling across and shooting aggressive intruders.

However, you see, home defense is not a battle field. You do not have the battle brothers flanking support. You do not know who is the enemy or where he is. You do not want to shoot through walls or get ricochet in the belly. Even if you do not value your interior, semi auto just does not work.
It actually does not matter what rifle you use at shooting range: RDB, RFB, AK, TAVOR, GALIL, AR15, AR10, CZ Scorpion, MP5\7, FNS-90, AUG or whatever you have. In home defense if you do not have the "fun switch" then you should better use shotgun or Glock\S&w\Colt.

Lets have some final points:
1. Firearm should be compact and always ready
2. Over penetration should not be something you worry about
3. Somali style shooting should be essentially safe (bullpups provide less protection for operator arms and wrists)
4. Semi auto rifles have no advantage over hand guns but reduce maneuverability.
5. Make it loud as hell. Silencer will only make you look less threatening.
6. Short Shotgun in room space is a devastating contraption and should be considered in the first order

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:38:58 AM by waffenmeister » Logged
Patriotic Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 06:25:48 PM »

I think this answers the question well... https://youtu.be/zgvfRinUaQM
Paul C
New Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 01:32:55 PM »

What sold me on the RDB was its unfailing reliability. However, when I first got it last year I had some misgivings about not being able to see the chamber for clearing or trouble shooting, i.e. double feeds. Fortunately, my instructors set up DF failures under close supervision and clearing those proved to be easier than expected. My RDB has never failed me while taking two carbine courses over a period of three months with 600 rds. fired. I did finally clean it before putting it into HD service and it was remarkably clean especially compared to my experience with ARs. BTW my first AR was a XM177 back in the day.
The RDB's controls are truly ambidextrous which I feel is a must in the close quarters of hallways or stairs. Ejecting the case down beats the heck out of the traditional right side ejection especially when shooting left handed, as in when you are up against the right hallway corner. A hot ejected case in the face is a bit distracting during a room clearing exercise. Yes I now know to stand back from the wall when slicing the pie, provided I have the room.
The only two issues that gave me problems were the muzzle blast in confined spaces and that was remedied by switching the A-2 Flash Hider to a KAK Can-Slimeline. Secondly, learning to use the controls efficiently in the dark and by feel. So here again good instruction and plenty of trigger time, are worth the money.
So, would I use the RDB for home defense? You bet!
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length