Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2018, 09:17:26 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Ever broken your X95?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ever broken your X95?  (Read 2261 times)
Rastoff

« on: April 07, 2018, 09:05:15 PM »

I was talking to someone about an issue with their AR. He was new to the AR and didn't realize how tough they usually are. As an example I showed him a picture of my X95 to show just how tough the finish on these guns normally is.

I've used my gun in training and practice like I mean it. It's been slammed up against barricades, dropped on the ground (not intentionally, hey, we all make mistakes), and generally used hard. Not a mark on it. I haven't ever done stupid things like bury it in mud or drop it from an airplane, but I have used it and not babied it.

That got me thinking, have any of you been able to break your X95? Yeah, I know a few have had issues that were corrected by the factory. I'm not talking about that. I mean, have any of you been able to do any kind of abuse, short of a chop saw or sledge hammer, that rendered any aspect of your gun broken? I know I haven't and I haven't been gentle.

One time I was at the range and another shooter was admiring the gun. I offered to let him shoot it. He said, "No, I don't want to damage it." I told him that if he could damage it, I didn't want it. I then demonstrated what I meant by jamming the front of the hand guard  up against a steel support beam and cranked off a couple rounds. Still not a mark on the gun.

So, anyone?

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
cciman

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 10:39:47 AM »

No such thing as unbreakable.  Would not suggest stomping on it while it leaned against a wall.

Went to IWI class2, fired about 500 rounds the first day.  Locked it away in the facility storage locker that night to avoid having to truck it back to the hotel.  Did not clean it. or lube it.

Next day, started having FTF/FTE on about every 10th round, about mid morning.  Took out the BCG, and bolt, wiped it down, put few drops of oil on them and the bolt lugs...worked the rest of the day. 

broken

Wanted to clean out the piston gas cylinder, and change the trigger bow.  Turned the locking screw, before removing the charge handle, just enough to  bend it.  Ordered a new charge handle.  On putting back together, realized the piston cylinder was now also out of spec (even though could not see it or feel it)- had to place another order.

Broken.

Rastoff

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 05:19:33 PM »

No such thing as unbreakable.  Would not suggest stomping on it while it leaned against a wall.
Of course nothing is unbreakable. I did qualify this in the OP that intentional damage was not what I was talking about.

I do find it interesting that your X95 had failed to fire the next day at that class. I've done similar and never had an issue. Meh, it happens. This is what I want to hear.

Freedom isn't free.
bigeasy911

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 04:16:52 AM »

Certainly gun or anything made is not indistructble.  Nor would I purposely abuse a gun just becuase.  With that said there is something wrong with some part of the system if any 5.56 x95 has failures at a mere 500 rnds from not cleaning.  Thousands of roundz easy should be fired without issue.  In fact no battle rifle should ever fail from such a low round count.   There is no way the IDF would ever have fielded this gun if it did.  Or likely any military for that matter.

In no way questioning it happened, just that personally, I would be concerned something was amiss unless it was using underpowered .223 like the old steel case .223 wolf or the like.  Or if it was still new and not broken in but these days most all guns are overgassed and or loser tolerances to ensure out of box reliability with any decent .223 let alone 5.56 preasure ammo.  We always hand cycle our guns 500 to 1000 x when new before shooting to mate/lap fit the contact parts.   Anyone that has ever done this say on an AR for the first time is astonded how much it goes from rough and gritty to silky smooth.
cciman

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 08:09:10 PM »

Certainly gun or anything made is not indistructble.  Nor would I purposely abuse a gun just becuase.  With that said there is something wrong with some part of the system if any 5.56 x95 has failures at a mere 500 rnds from not cleaning.  Thousands of roundz easy should be fired without issue.  In fact no battle rifle should ever fail from such a low round count.   There is no way the IDF would ever have fielded this gun if it did.  Or likely any military for that matter.

In no way questioning it happened, just that personally, I would be concerned something was amiss unless it was using underpowered .223 like the old steel case .223 wolf or the like.  Or if it was still new and not broken in but these days most all guns are overgassed and or loser tolerances to ensure out of box reliability with any decent .223 let alone 5.56 preasure ammo.  We always hand cycle our guns 500 to 1000 x when new before shooting to mate/lap fit the contact parts.   Anyone that has ever done this say on an AR for the first time is astonded how much it goes from rough and gritty to silky smooth.

Life is unpredictable, and a b**** sometimes.  Just because you wish it, or expect it to be a certain way, does not make it so.

Just because something is top dollar, well reputed, made by Leupold, Glock, Colt, Trijicon, Porsche, Land Rover, Saiga, Craftsman, Whirlpool...(insert brand here)...does not mean it "can't fail" when you throw millions of users with untold infinite environmental variables at these devices.  Anything can fail or break under the right circumstances.

You may have NEVER, ever, experienced a single failure in a IWI weapon, but my case is a learning experience to not have overconfidence in hardware, or chance-- and to learn the limits of your piece.

BTW, I have also had failures in Glocks and AK's.  You learn and practice failure drills, TBOYA.

That's the beauty of these expensive classes--- as close as one can get to the real deal and find out if you, or your chosen gear can work under simulated real life conditions, and figure out how to make it so both you and your gear can stand up to real occassions.
Rastoff

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 12:22:21 PM »

BTW, I have also had failures in Glocks and AK's.  You learn and practice failure drills, TBOYA.
I've seen many guns fail too, but I may not be clear in what I'm asking here...

There are two types of failures when it comes to firearms; malfunctions and jams:

Malfunction:
This is when the gun fails to fire, but can be put back in service quickly and without tools. Examples of this are the standard Type I (dud round or empty chamber), II (stove pipe or fail to eject) and III (double feed) malfunctions. Tap, rack, assess is the standard response to Type I or II and of course the Type III is more involved, but still resolved without tools.

Jam:
This is a broken gun. It will require extra time, tools and maybe a gunsmith to fix. This is when you have a broken part or one goes missing. It could be a squib and now you have a bullet stuck in the bore.

In the context of this thread, I'm more interested in jams. Of course we all know that a bullet stuck in the bore isn't caused by the gun. I'm curious to hear about other issues. Broken firing pins, hammers, sight mounts, grips, whatever, but something that actually broke.

It's been my experience that the X95 is a very robust gun. By the lack of response to this thread, I'm gleaning that it really is very durable. Other guns are also durable, but I'm not asking about them. This is the X95 forum so, I'm looking to hear about the X95. Mine has been trouble free even though I haven't been gentle with it. I'm pleased to hear, by the lack of response, that others are also having trouble free experiences with theirs.

Freedom isn't free.
Shrike30

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 01:18:07 PM »

About 3000 rounds through an SAR, 4500 or so through an x95.  Both have been cleaned twice and I lubed the bolt on the x95 once in the middle of a ~1500 round class because I could feel it dragging a little when I ran the charging handle (problem solved, cleaning after that class was like washing mud off an off-road truck).  Zero jams and zero malfunctions across two rifles.

Tavors are conscript rifles.  They're built to get abused and mishandled and still run despite intermittent maintenance in hard conditions.  Not the most accurate or the softest shooting platform on the planet but they weren't made to be.
chowser51

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 05:25:53 PM »

I bent my charging handle. I ordered a new one. Haven’t been back to it to fix it.
Halmbarte

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 12:59:23 PM »

Ran a SAR at our local monthly rifle match + other shooting for a year, estimate 2k rounds fired in that time.

The only stoppages were from shooting weak handed (The stage required you to shoot weak handed around a barricade) when the spent case bounced off my jaw and back into the ejection port. My buddy was shooting a different SAR at the same match and had the exact same stoppage. 

H
Kevlar

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 03:20:24 PM »

I have thousands of rounds thru both the SAR and X95 rifles.  I have used both steel case and brass.

I have not had anything “break”

I have had a FTE stuck case where the rim was torn off the case.  The requires a tap out with a rod.

I now alway have a cable system to knock out the case with parts from Otis.  It packs small and works

20” cable
Small slotted patch holder
Male brass extension piece. It is just over 3 inches long

I assemble the pieces with Loctite so it won’t come apart.

The brass extension goes in the barrel first for a case tap out

It also works as a pull thru with patches

Hope this helps
Rastoff

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 09:08:54 PM »

This is exactly what I thought I'd hear from this thread. Small sample size, but no breakages. Sure, some have damaged their own guns  through their own actions, but so far, I've yet to hear of one breaking on its own.

Freedom isn't free.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 03:47:25 AM »

I have never broken my Tavor x95
The only issues I have had are the following.
-Ftf, multiple times caused by bent out of space GI mags. Mag problem not the gun.
- Got a failure to eject, with a double feed type of malfunction, it was caused by one of my reloads, the brass had a bent rim not allowing it to properly eject.

Other than those issues which were user induced my gun has been functioned flawlessly.

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length