Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2019, 02:37:57 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Gun Safes
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gun Safes  (Read 3574 times)
Diverbelow

« on: March 23, 2018, 08:43:44 AM »

I was just looking at the Colonial Fatboy 25 to 26 hunderd and the Franklin Fatboy is 3400 to 3500 price wise. The Franklin is another option. Colonial 30 or Franklin 35, possibly.

Any thoughts
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 06:54:24 PM »

I was just looking at the Colonial Fatboy 25 to 26 hunderd and the Franklin Fatboy is 3400 to 3500 price wise. The Franklin is another option. Colonial 30 or Franklin 35, possibly.

Any thoughts

Neither.  Look long and hard at Champion Safe Company https://championsafe.com/  In early 2017, I decided I needed a good safe and was at the Great American Outdoor Show thinking I'd go with the one I'd heard the most about recently, Liberty.  Beyond the attitude I got from the people there, the product really looked and felt substandard.  Then I walked down the row and started looking at Champion/Superior safes and it was a completely different experience.

Renae, the regional manager, spent about half an hour explaining everything to me and showing the strengths and weaknesses all safes had and how the Champion/Superior lines handled them.  The fact that they were made in the US from US products was a nice plus, but so was the price to performance ratio, and the features offered.

I wound up with Trophy 25 but had to wait until I had room for it to be delivered.  I also got it for a killer price, well below MSRP.  As fate would have it, I realized I needed a larger safe and because of where I lived and the doorways, the largest I could upgrade to was the Triumph 40.  Renae let me upgrade (and still offered the show price) and the safe, again, was well below MSRP. 

The plan was for an electronic lock, but after talking with Renae and her assistant, their frank answers about failure rate and consequences steered me to the standard S&G dial lock.

Right now the Triumph 40 is in my spare room and is everything I could ask for in a safe.  Is it a premium product?  Yes, I think it is.  The feature set, the materials, the fit and finish, and the silky smoothness of the lockwork is amazing.  If you are in the central PA area (or within a day trip), let me know and I'll give you Renae's contact information.  I know there are other safes on the market, but I have yet to find one that compares as well.

Kurt

Kurt
EWTHeckman
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 10:28:11 PM »

Any thoughts

Neither.  Look long and hard at Champion Safe Company https://championsafe.com/  In early 2017, I decided I needed a good safe and was at the Great American Outdoor Show thinking I'd go with the one I'd heard the most about recently, Liberty.

Did you see the Liberty safe they had sitting in their booth with the seriously mangled door? I laughed when I saw it because of how much of a poke in the eye it was. I wondered if the booth selling Liberty would have some sort of response. They didn't.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 11:00:11 PM »

Did you see the Liberty safe they had sitting in their booth with the seriously mangled door? I laughed when I saw it because of how much of a poke in the eye it was. I wondered if the booth selling Liberty would have some sort of response. They didn't.

LOL!  Yep!  The crew at the Liberty display was next to worthless and despite having cash in hand and being ready to buy, and *telling them that*, I got the ego/attitude and blow off.  I'm glad they did.

If you ever get a chance to stop in at their office, ask them to show you the other safes they have from the competition.  Some of them were from very well known names and it looked like a can opener carved them open.

Kurt
dntam

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 03:12:47 AM »

Most of these “safes” can be easily cut into by a grinder or power saw through the top or sides. Unless you get a real TL rated safe it probably doesn’t matter much which brand you get. There is a reason most are UL rated Residential Security Containers and not safes.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 03:19:45 AM by dntam » Logged
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 08:06:57 PM »

Most of these “safes” can be easily cut into by a grinder or power saw through the top or sides. Unless you get a real TL rated safe it probably doesn’t matter much which brand you get. There is a reason most are UL rated Residential Security Containers and not safes.

If someone is going to go through that level of risk to break into my safe, then there really isn't much I can do to prevent it.  When you look at the majority of burglaries, however, rarely do they come equipped with a grinder or power saw.

Kurt
dntam

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 01:28:24 PM »

Not the best solution as not everything is replaceable but I insure for replacement with a homeowners policy. I don’t have 10k to spend on a TL 30 x 6 safe.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 03:29:20 PM »

Not the best solution as not everything is replaceable but I insure for replacement with a homeowners policy. I don’t have 10k to spend on a TL 30 x 6 safe.

I have a policy as well, but I also have a safe that is better than most, and I didn't pay anywhere close to $10k for it.  No safe is perfect, but for the average burglar, a good safe is cheap insurance.  Also, if you have small valuables that you claim are kept inside, you may receive a discount on your homeowner's insurance as well.

Kurt
7n6

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 12:37:50 AM »

Get a sturdy safe and have it lined with extra hardened plate steel.

https://www.sturdysafe.com/

dntam

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 10:09:41 PM »

The sturdy safes do look good.
7n6

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 07:29:26 PM »

The sturdy safes do look good.

Mine has the "Magnum Steel" package upgrade- basically weigh over 1500 lbs and holds 26 long guns. It's a real safe with fire wool. I believe most of it is near 3/4" thick steel with the hardened plate upgrades. Downside, it doesn't hold a whole lot of rifles and was very expensive. Upside, I don't own junk guns anymore.
semper paratus
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 11:31:17 AM »

as kfeltenberger states - most burglars don't come with power tools - but when I had a safe malfunction I opened mine up with a battery powered grinder in under 5 minutes.  I had an old Colbalt safe with 1/4 steel plate.  Now with any safe I purchase the first thing I do is rip out the drywall and replace it with 1/2 inch cement board / tile backer - It will chew up a grinding disc a lot faster, double your fire resistance ( which is the biggest threat you'll have) and adds another 20 to 30 lbs .

Also, I would recommend having 2 smaller safes over one big one - 
olouttt7

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 06:40:30 AM »

I'm also searching the best gun safe under 1000 and found this https://secretstorages.com/best-hidden-gun-safes/
Solomone Cavalli Portable Biometric Fingerprint Gun Safe is what I'm considering getting. It offers multiple ways to get opened, very secure and can be mounted or tethered.

Anyone uses it?
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 08:01:21 PM »

I'm also searching the best gun safe under 1000 and found this https://secretstorages.com/best-hidden-gun-safes/
Solomone Cavalli Portable Biometric Fingerprint Gun Safe is what I'm considering getting. It offers multiple ways to get opened, very secure and can be mounted or tethered.

Anyone uses it?

I don't, and just looking at it, I wouldn't.  The key lock completely voids any security it might possess (which given its size, is pretty minimal).  You'd be better off getting a cheap safe from a big box store and securing it in a closet or storage room.

Look up on YT how easy it is to pick one of those round key locks...it's pretty basic.

Kurt
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 05:46:59 PM »

Good advice from Kurt. He has a lot of experience with guns being in safes so his words of wisdom hold weight on this subject matter.

AE
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 06:26:33 PM »

I don't know whether to laugh at you, Aussie, or to shake my head at how juvenile this is.

Kurt
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 06:53:21 PM »

Just calling them how I see them.

AE
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length