Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2018, 11:48:04 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  X95 SBR bummer
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: X95 SBR bummer  (Read 3080 times)
pyroxide

« on: March 15, 2018, 11:27:50 AM »

Just got off the phone with a dealer who just spoke to IWI. The X95 SBR will be in 5.56 NATO only at this time. Later on there will be conversion kits and they didn't give a definitive answer about any other calibers for those.

So there's the answer. Not the one I wanted, but an official answer nonetheless.

I'm seriously bummed out. I guess that means I'm in the market for a PDW. Thought about an actual PS90 with short barrel, but I'd prefer something that shoots a caliber larger than .223. The B&H GHM9 is cool. Purchased a 7.62 suppressor, but AR-15 pistols don't interest me much. Any suggestions? Bullpups or very short overall length preferred.

EDIT: Or should I just get a regular length X95 in .300 BLK?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 11:31:27 AM by pyroxide » Logged
SteveD

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 02:04:14 AM »

Bullpups are really your only choice. They are about equivalent to 10.5" non-bullpups. I would purchase the x95 (unless you want the Tavor 7, but you probably won't short barrel a 308), get the chassis serialized, and wait for conversion kit. I would they come out by the time your tax stamp comes back, which might be close to a year.

556 or 300BO your choice but I'd honestly go for 556 because it's so much damn cheaper to shoot. Of course when/if conversion kits come in take the 300 blkout but I wish they could get 10.5" barrels in...
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 01:08:51 AM »

My 16" barreled Tavor X95 is still shorter than an 11.5" AR with the stock extended.
An SBR Tavor would be tiny.
A 5.56 caliber SBR with expanding ammunition, or even FMJ is more than enough to efficiently kill any two legged threat. 

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
Shrike30

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 08:13:25 PM »

I'm a little at a loss for how 5.56 is ruled out in an application you want a "bigger caliber" for when 9mm is on the table as an option.
Border Dave
^

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 12:42:24 PM »

How about a B&T TP9?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9pSJQKdMS-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0UmxKqnRwg
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:53:52 PM by Border Dave » Logged
Rastoff

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 12:25:44 PM »

I'm a little at a loss for how 5.56 is ruled out in an application you want a "bigger caliber" for when 9mm is on the table as an option.
9mm is bigger than 5.56 though. Wink

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
Craigy

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 03:39:09 PM »

9mm is bigger than 5.56 though. Wink

LOL

3.44mm bigger, to be exact  Grin

I was also very interested in picking up a B&T product for the compact size, prob APC45, but the X95 SBR will get you a full rifle caliber in a more compact package, at least when you factor a stock on the B&T.

Might still get an APC45 in the future though, they're just too cool.
pyroxide

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 08:07:07 PM »

It only took over a month for IWI-US to reply to an e-mail that I had sent them about this topic, and it is very different news. 5.56 NATO and .300 Blackout being released about same time "later this year."

Either way, their mixed messages turned me off quite a bit. The SBR is going to be too much money, then I would have to pay for my tax stamp. For ~$2000, I might as well make the most ridiculous AR pistol in the world. And I may do just that.

I wanted something "exotic" and the X95 SBR was just that; bullpup, short OAL, ambidextrous, .300 BLK. A skeletonized, ultra-lightweight AR pistol would still be mostly outside the realm of normal and cost ~$1400 without having to write a check to the BATFE and waiting 9+ months.
Craigy

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 03:06:04 PM »

It only took over a month for IWI-US to reply to an e-mail that I had sent them about this topic

Just curious, how did you email them?  The form on their site, something else? 

I've sent inquiries direct email and their email form on the website, no replies yet. 
Ross

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 07:20:17 PM »

Pick up the phone and call them, the SBR X95 will be available in two colors, Black and FDE in 5.56 with barrels (for those wanting to do their own SBR builds) later in the year, personal I never asked about a 300BLK simply because it's not something I'm interested in. Cutting a check to my dealer tomorrow for a X95 SBR in FDE he ordered for me at the sports south show, I don't know when IWI will start shipping these but I suspect it won't be long.
bigeasy911

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 04:56:50 PM »

Not only that but who pays msrp for the x95?  They can be found on sale for under 1600.  In fact I just helped a couple friends to eacb phrchase on for 1575 each 1600 with shipping.  

The conversion can be had under $700

You will ALWAYS be able to build a average di AR for cbeap becuase of volume.  But look at a premium factory piston AR which is far closer to apples to apples and add a few premuim parts to include BUIS  and you are EASILY at and past the street cost of a x95.  That is much more realistic comparison.

I for sure am getting a 13" Blackout conversion when theg are avaible.  I already sent in my sbr paper work so I can use it right away.  If for some reason they do not come out then I will get the 16 and cut it down.
RebellionOnIce

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 07:26:24 PM »

Whats a ballpark price of cutting 3 inches off the 16" barrel . Has to be cheaper than a new barrel right?
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 11:49:32 PM »

Whats a ballpark price of cutting 3 inches off the 16" barrel . Has to be cheaper than a new barrel right?

I canít recall where but I was quoted just (barely) above $100 for cut, thread and crown.

...but just send to rainier arms for $80+
https://www.rainierarms.com/cut-threading/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:52:50 PM by HBeretta » Logged
bigeasy911

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 03:23:37 PM »

Also make sure whomever you choose does precision muzzle threading so you can ensure proper suppressor alignment.  I have had to clean up the threads on a few mass produced AR barrels.  Some are quite good but it should always be checked.

The x95 piston system is overgassed for most all conditions a d is quite forgiving for  loss of barrel length as it seems to use the inital gas pulse and does not seem to need the duration that we are accustom to with AR DI systems.  Based on the reports for the 300bo version the sub will cycle even on super sonic setting.  Losing a few inches may actually make it so you use the subsonic setti g for subs and the super setting for supers.  Frankly to me there is no point to supers in a 300bo.  Its nich is big heavy 30 cal bullets going sub where they can be suppressed..  Suppressed 13" X95 300BO with idf micro handguard is just about as good as it gets IMHO for size , control, and sound signature reduction.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length