Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2018, 11:08:19 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Kel-Tec RFB, RDB, M-43 (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  Picking rdb over a iwi x95 a mistake?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Picking rdb over a iwi x95 a mistake?  (Read 5323 times)
metinemre

« on: March 10, 2018, 09:51:55 PM »

This is my first post at the forum so hi everyone!
it will be my first bullpup
i`ve been watching and reading reviews of everything for few months now.
I`m left eye dominant right handed.

My first choice would be fs2000 but i can`t find one below $2.5k and mdr is errm i don`t want to wait for my order 6-12-18-? months to be fulfilled.

I love ps90`s in mnay ways but close to $2k with the front muzzle that will make it look good, not thinking about sbr`ing it if i purchased, plus ammo type/price is scaring me

To cut the story short i`m torn between rdb being the only available choice that is truly ambidextrous and the  price being around $1k is tempting
iwi x95 being around $1.6-1.7k and can be converted if i decide to shoot with dominant eye from left shoulder.

But then again bullpups aren`t long range precision competition rifles anyway.

Should i stop worrying about the dexterity and dominant eye etc and decide on reliability etc more?

I`m a person who feels buyers remorse quickly if something goes bad. Most likely if i buy a rdb and it gets jammed etc before 1k rounds i`ll be very UNHAPPY i know it and i will look for selling and getting rid of it.

I started the thread here instead of iwi section to see what rdb owners think? Are you guys happy with your purchase? How many of you had issues and sold/traded your rifles> Considering it is 1st q of 2018 do you think rdb`s are more reliable than the first year now?
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 10:29:05 PM »

metinemre,

Welcome to our Bullpup Forum!

I'm right-handed, left-eye-dominant. And, I'm looking forward to Kel-Tec seeing the light of a RDB Survival Bullpup --- chambered for the 6.5mm Grendel ! ---

(http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=1060.msg121763#msg121763)
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 11:10:25 PM »

How often do you shoot? If you aren't a 1,000 rounds ever weekend, then the RDB should treat you just fine.

It has many good things going for it over the X-95. Adjustable gas system, long bolt travel provides an extremely smooth recoil impulse especially when the gas is well tuned, the top rail is at the same height as an AR receiver rail, and is lighter weight than the X-95. Plus, if something does go wrong, Kel-Tec will take care of you.

It's ultimately up to you, but if I was deciding between these two, it'd be the RDB. I've never been too keen on IWI's offerings though.

S&S, I'm not sure how that helps the guy decide.
odie64

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 05:22:39 PM »

I have both the RDB and RFB offerings from Kel Tec. I have had no problems with the RDB and the RFB was a Gen 2 that started to over gas once it was breaking in. I has a custom muzzle break oared for the RFB and once that was in and installed I have the gas adjusted correctly and no problems from the RFB. AS  far as I am concerned the Kel Tec Bullpups are the best bang for the buck and very much misunderstood.

* RDB.jpg (2334.17 KB, 4320x2432 - viewed 191 times.)
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 09:12:46 PM »

Like the others have mentioned in this thread I wouldn't hesitate in getting an RDB considering the lifetime warranty and cost.  It also is the most comfortable bullpup I've shot.  The x95 was a pleasure to shoot as well but it's a pound heavier and not as ambi as the RDB.  You could probably find for just under $900 at this point...you wouldn't regret it.  I'm glad I got one...and it does look pretty damn sweet, especially next to a $3000+ gen1 fs2000...

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:58:08 PM by HBeretta » Logged
metinemre

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 09:22:15 PM »

RDB is very tempting with the price for sure. I definitely love the details of the rdb-s aswell. that`s another thing kind off pushing me towards x95. I don`t want to have a rdb and a rdb-s lol.
Lately i`m a very unlucky person with machinery. I had two brand new hyundai`s that had check engine light in less than 2000 miles then i got mad and pulled the trigger on a brand new bmw and it ended up being a lemon and they gave me an upgraded newer model to keep my mouth shut lol. So actually it doesnt matter which brand lemons or bad products are everywhere.

However if you were purchasing one weapon to trust your life with, which i hope will never happen would you trust rdb as your only weapon?

I`d probably go shooting once a month 500 rounds for 6 months a year and next 6 months 500 rounds a weekend (due to my seasonal job and working on weekends every winter)
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 02:45:18 AM »

I've shot 500 rounds in a single day at the range with my RDB and it was fine.  I typically shoot about 250 rounds per session though.

You asked a good question about "only one rifle, would it be the RDB?"  And that's a question that still generates lots of debate. Personally, I think provided you get an RDB that isn't a "Lemon," yes, the RDB would be fine as your only 5.56/.223 rifle.  There is lots of debate regarding Keltec's QC and the RDB's longevity, but for the most part, it seems like most people are putting high round counts into their RDB without issue. It's turning out to be a reliable rifle. While I admit, the horror stories of Keltec's past sometimes give me pause when considering my RDB for that role. But thus far, mine and most people's experiences seem to support the rifle as being dependable. There are certainly many who have said that they would trust their lives to this rifle, and I would say the same. Keltec themselves billed the RDB as being their first true "professional grade" firearm. All the handling advantages of the RDB certainly makes it a great choice.  For me, the choice is between my AR, RDB, Tavor, and possibly the MDR (5.56) that is expected to come out.  I love my AR. It's reliable and accurate, but I really want my ideal 5.56 semi-auto to be a bullpup. I dislike the feel, weight and handling of my Tavor. It's solid, but feels more clunky than I would like. And who knows how long before the (5.56) MDR comes out? And even once it does, who knows how reliable it will be? The current crop of MDRs coming out are seemingly having much more issues than the RDB when it was released (of which, it had almost none).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:47:17 AM by Frostburg » Logged
metinemre

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 02:57:38 AM »

Nicely explained, thank you. While i was debating, the last available and good priced rdb is sold. (there were two available at $1049 one sold yesterday and other sold while i was at work today. on https://www.preppergunshop.com/kel-tec-rdb-rifle-kel-tec-rdb-bullpup-5-56nato-rifle-17-barrel-20rnd-tan)  and i really like tan over black Sad

So i purchased a x95 from gunprodeals for $1545 can`t beat the price i guess. https://www.gunprodeals.com/products/tactical-iwi-us-tavor-859735005923
I have a very strong feeling that i will be purchasing rdb-s as my second bullpup once the price settles to high 900`s to low 1k

Now i have beretta cx4 and howa kuiu verde .308 in my short list Smiley

scstrain

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 10:32:16 AM »

I absolutely like everything about the RDB.  However, take it apart and then take a X-95 apart. You will see why folks are asking you how much you will be firing the RDB.  There is no comparison on how much sturdier the X-95 is built.
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 03:18:02 PM »

Nicely explained, thank you. While i was debating, the last available and good priced rdb is sold. (there were two available at $1049 one sold yesterday and other sold while i was at work today. on https://www.preppergunshop.com/kel-tec-rdb-rifle-kel-tec-rdb-bullpup-5-56nato-rifle-17-barrel-20rnd-tan)  and i really like tan over black Sad

So i purchased a x95 from gunprodeals for $1545 can`t beat the price i guess. https://www.gunprodeals.com/products/tactical-iwi-us-tavor-859735005923
I have a very strong feeling that i will be purchasing rdb-s as my second bullpup once the price settles to high 900`s to low 1k

Now i have beretta cx4 and howa kuiu verde .308 in my short list Smiley

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=Keltec%20RDB

A couple RDBs there in the $800-900 range.
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 03:23:53 PM »

I absolutely like everything about the RDB.  However, take it and then take a X-95 apart. You will see why folks are asking you how much you will be firing the RDB.  There is no comparison on how much sturdier the X-95 is built.

I do agree that the Tavor series of rifles are built like tanks. They've set a new standard of solid reliability that imo has surpassed the AK and any other semi-auto out there.  But there are many other military issued rifles that are less solid than the Tavor and work fine. The RDB has dead simple internals. There isn't much room for malfunction, tbh.  Based on mine and other's experiences, I would place the RDB on par with a high quality AR in terms of dependability.
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 03:30:48 PM »

I absolutely like everything about the RDB.  However, take it apart and then take a X-95 apart. You will see why folks are asking you how much you will be firing the RDB.  There is no comparison on how much sturdier the X-95 is built.

I would say the actual design for the RDB is rock solid, just a few material improvements could go a long way to making it a superior overall choice to the X-95. The unfortunate thing is that Kel-tec is mainly interested in innovative but still budget friendly guns.

I'd love it if the RDB had the build quality of the Tavor or AUG, and I certainly wouldn't mind the extra cost for that. (Plus, to even go even further on the unreasonable scale. An RDB with the build quality of the AUG with the integrated optics, and the AUG mags would be an absolute grail gun for me)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 03:36:22 PM by Clarke-Sensei » Logged
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 03:39:15 PM »

I would say the actual design for the RDB is rock solid, just a few material improvements could go a long way to making it a superior overall choice to the X-95. The unfortunate thing is that Kel-tec is mainly interested in innovative but still budget friendly guns.

I'd love it if the RDB had the build quality of the Tavor or AUG, and I certainly wouldn't mind the extra cost for that. (Plus, to even go even further on the unreasonable scale. An RDB with the build quality of the AUG with the integrated optics, and the AUG mags would be an absolute grail gun for me)

Exactly! I would pay handsomely for that. I would get rid of all my other 5.56 rifles for that.  If I could contact a private custom gun maker, I would contract him to do this for me. Is that even possible? Lol.
ttarp

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 03:43:05 PM »

It shouldn't take the better part of $2,000 to get into the centerfire bullpup game, I've been tempted to pick an RBD up simply because they're pricing them sensibly.  I really can't fathom why innovative and budget friendly could be viewed as cons, using quality materials doesn't mean a company has to loose that goal.  Bullpups should not be strictly a rich mans game.

I hear so much about how Kel-Tec is synonymous with garbage, I may end up buying an RDB just to abuse it and see how quickly it falls apart.
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 03:47:11 PM »

Exactly! I would pay handsomely for that. I would get rid of all my other 5.56 rifles for that.  If I could contact a private custom gun maker, I would contract him to do this for me. Is that even possible? Lol.

I'm sure it is if you find the right person, but it sure as hell will be more expensive than all the factory options available to us now.

It'd just be nice if Kel-Tec was open to working with Steyr USA and vice versa, since Steyr could use the publicity and acclaim of a newer design, and Kel-Tec could benefit from a nice up tick on licensing funds and less bulls*** from people.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 07:44:06 PM »

It'd just be nice if Kel-Tec was open to working with Steyr USA and vice versa, since Steyr could use the publicity and acclaim of a newer design, and Kel-Tec could benefit from a nice up tick on licensing funds and less bulls*** from people.

^
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 12:25:19 PM »

A business move like that is probably never going to happen. Has anyone actually suggested this to Keltec as an idea? Are they even aware that this is a grievance? Sometimes these grievances are purely restricted to internet chatter and the actual company is clueless that it's a thing. Either way, my confidence is low on this ever transpiring. Life is too short to wait on others; I would rather pay a private entity to fabricate one for my own use and be happy with it. The RDB is virtually perfect in terms of design. If I had one with upgraded materials and construction, I would put down $5k for it, and never buy another 5.56 semi-auto again in my life. I would sell the rest of my own. It would be my single and only 5.56 rifle, and my go-to rifle.

If anyone is aware of any private firms who make custom firearms from scratch, whom I could make a deal with, feel free to let me know.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:28:22 PM by Frostburg » Logged
RebellionOnIce

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 12:44:16 PM »

Picking rdb over a iwi x95 a mistake?

I was in a similar position last year. I was looking at Bullpups and on paper the RDB was a top competitor.
The Lithgow Atrix, MDR, X95 and RDB were my choices. What made my decision was what countries tested the hell out of it and actually use it? The Atrix wasn't out yet, the MDR wasn't out yet so on that criteria I bought an X95 and feel I made the right choice.
If the RDB was built to those standards I'd imagine country's all over the world would be using them and Kel Tec would have huge military contracts.
 In 308 I'm going to use the same philosophy between the MDR and Tavor 7.
I'd rather let country's put a zillion rounds down the barrel and test the crap out of it rather than me. The one I buy will be the one that passed and is being used to defend a country.
My 2 cents.

Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2018, 12:55:14 PM »

Picking rdb over a iwi x95 a mistake?

I was in a similar position last year. I was looking at Bullpups and on paper the RDB was a top competitor.
The Lithgow Atrix, MDR, X95 and RDB were my choices. What made my decision was what countries tested the hell out of it and actually use it? The Atrix wasn't out yet, the MDR wasn't out yet so on that criteria I bought an X95 and feel I made the right choice.
If the RDB was built to those standards I'd imagine country's all over the world would be using them and Kel Tec would have huge military contracts.
 In 308 I'm going to use the same philosophy between the MDR and Tavor 7.
I'd rather let country's put a zillion rounds down the barrel and test the crap out of it rather than me. The one I buy will be the one that passed and is being used to defend a country.
My 2 cents.

While I vastly prefer the RDB over the Tavor (I havn't tried the X95), the logic of your decision is completely solid.
scstrain

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 10:38:39 PM »

Like Mr. Kellgrens other designs I find the RDB nothing short of amazing.  

My only gripe about Keltec is that Mr. Kellgren has so many good ideas that he can't seem to get the bugs worked out of one firearm design before he is working on another.  It is getting old how he expects his end buyers to be his beta testers.  

If you look at the internals of the RDB there are some pretty "Thin" parts inside.  The good side of this is that it makes it light weight for a bullpup.  The other side is that I do not see it holding up to true Military use.  Not a Knock on it, most will never put that kind of use on one anyway.  Awesome civilian bullpup.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length