Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2018, 01:14:24 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Utter noob with an X95 needs help
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Utter noob with an X95 needs help  (Read 1081 times)
maxgravity
New Posting Member

« on: March 08, 2018, 01:19:42 AM »

Hello,

I'm new to 5.56 and bullpups, but not new to guns.  I grew up on a farm and have used shotguns and .22 rifles, and when I moved out to the bush, I learned how to use a Winchester carbine and a .308 bolt action and got certified as a Hunter Ed. Instructor.  I've also learned semi-auto pistols (started with a cheap 1911 clone and then picked up a LC9 and a Glock 23, but in pistols I am totally self taught due to the isolation out here, and it shows in my really bad accuracy with them.  I'm really hoping to avoid that as I learn this new weapon type and would appreciate any recommendations you all have.

I will very shortly take delivery of a 5.56 X95 (already purchased, just waiting on the slow logistics involved with getting anything up here). Being a first responder,  I took advantage of the discount and went with as much top-shelf accessories as I could so I wouldn't be replacing cheaper stuff sooner (especially plastic parts which tend to horribly embrittle below -20 F).  Towards that end, I've got an  AMG UG-1 and 3x Magnifier from Vortex, Cantilevered forend, curved butt pad, LUMA safeties, port cover, afterburner linear comp with flash hider from Manticore Arms, a Cobra sling from Savvy Sniper, and 10 windowed PMAGs  with ranger plates also coming in.  I considered a flashlight, but frankly I know enough to know the last thing I want to do is use an unfamiliar weapon under the stress of a combat situation involving my home and family.  Speaking of familiarity, I didn't blow all my budget on the accessories.  I'm going into Anchorage next week and will be bringing back 2K - 3K rounds back, with plans to keep ~1K of that as a reserve.       

I'm hoping to use that non-reserved ammo to learn the system as well as possible.  Towards that, I'm hoping to be able to benefit from your collective wisdom by picking your brains.  In particular, I'm interested in learning the basics IDF firearms practices, especially in how those pertain to the Tavor.  I'm also interested in both dry and live-fire drills that don't required a lot of supporting accoutraments beyond paper targets, a stand and maybe one or two steel or self-helaing targets.

thanks,

-max

cciman

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 05:41:13 PM »

Other than polar bears, what could you possibly be at risk for needing to defend from in -30 degree weather?

Here down below, we have access to training camps and schools.  You are asking to learn kung fu over an internet forum.

That kidding aside, the operation of the X95 is not that different from an AR or other carbine basics.  In Anchorage, are there tactical schools you can take classes in both pistol and rifle? 
maxgravity
New Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 09:46:47 PM »

Wolves and mama moose (big, stupid and have a ridicuously large threat bubble around their calves).  Can also take caribou in those temps.

-max
larryz

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 10:25:34 PM »

With wolves and moose in the winter, and bears and such in the summer, wouldn't the Tavor 7 (.308) be a better choice?

That said, look on YouTube for the Tavor Six Points of Contact
Buy a big bag of paper plates for 50 and 100 yard drills
Check out how to rig your sling on the rear connector with cord
Watch the videos by Lovie and Tash on tactics

Oh, and RTFM.

Welcome to the Tavor.  You'll love it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:35:35 PM by larryz » Logged
ExaltedVanguard

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 10:49:09 PM »

Not to mention Alaska is the rape capital of the US, so home defense is an entirely reasonable thing.

Honestly, practice is just about the only thing you need. It sounds like you already have a firm grasp of firearm basics. There's not too terribly much else that can be said, but this video has a lot of good Tavor-specific advice. It's about the SAR, but mostly applies to the X-95 too. Probably the most relevant being the grip-styles he talks about at 7 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXmO7mPki0A

I would recommend NOT using and vertical foregrip. The basic gist of why is that it moves your hand farther away from the part you're trying to steady (the barrel), which puts you at a mechanical disadvantage. IIRC, vertical foregrips gained popularity because they were part of a socom package for the M4. If special forces use it then it must be good, right? The loadout included so many attachments around the foreend (light, laser, etc) you couldn't properly grip the rifle without it.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length