Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2018, 07:14:10 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  X95 failure to feed, failure to extract
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: X95 failure to feed, failure to extract  (Read 1658 times)
rockelino

« on: March 05, 2018, 07:03:19 PM »

Hi,
I purchased a new Tavor X95 (FDE, right hand, 5.56mm, 16.5" barrel) in November a few months ago. I fired it several times in the range, totalling about 300 to 400 rounds without any issues. I'm using brand new manufactured NATO 5.56mm cartridges (55 and 62 grain). I'm using the Magpul magazine that came with the rifle from the factory. I'm following all the pre/post maintenance and cleaning steps outlined in the user manual.

Today was the first time I had an issue with the rifle. After shooting 30 rounds or so without a problem, the rifle jammed: after firing a round, it looked like the bolt did not move back all the way to extract the casing and reload a new round into the chamber from the magazine. The magazine was still mostly full (20 rounds or more left in it). I pulled the charging handle back and released it, which extracted the spent casing and loaded a new round into the chamber.
*To give you more info on the issue - when the jam was happening, the bolt was not completely forward - it was about 2 inches or so aft of the forward position. I tested the charging handle while the rifle was jammed, and it was moving freely from the forward most position to about 2 inches back and then I felt the resistance of the bolt and the spring. Additionally, I could see the spent casing stuck diagonally between the chamber and the ejection port. I hope this description makes sense, I'm experienced with firearms but not very good with the nomenclature.
To clear the jam - all I had to do is pull back on the charging handle, release and that fixed it. It ejected the spent casing and reloaded a new round into the chamber.

After clearing the jam, I commenced firing again - was successful for 10 more shots or so, but then the same thing happened. I swapped magazines (also a Magpul - 30 round mag, identical to the one that came with the rifle), even used a new batch of bullets (also new NATO 5.56 ammo), but the issue re-appeared. I shot 20 to 30 more rounds, with the jam happening after 10 shots or so.
Now the problem worsened: instead of 10 shots or so between jams, it happened after every 3 to 5 successful consecutive shots (same jam issue - bolt did not go far enough to extract the casing and did not load a new round from the magazine).
10 to 15 rounds later - now the issue happens after every shot.
I do not know why this happened, but would like your assistance and want to know what I can do on my end to prevent/fix it. What is the most common reason for this type of issue and what is your recommendation?
I emailed IWI, but was wondering if anyone here had experienced anything similar. It's been about a month and a half between the times when I fired the rifle in the range.

FYI: I used newly manufactured IMI 556 NATO rounds (62 and 55 gr) when this happened. I shot ammo from the same batch in the past without any issues.
charliegotnolove
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 07:20:18 PM »

Sounds like extractor is pulling the case out but the ejector isnít pushing it off the face of the bolt.

Clean the hell out the bolt.  Check the springs for the extractor and ejector.
rockelino

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 07:28:28 PM »

Sounds like extractor is pulling the case out but the ejector isnít pushing it off the face of the bolt.

Clean the hell out the bolt.  Check the springs for the extractor and ejector.

Like I said, when I pull back on the charging handle, the spent casing is extracted normally, and it's ejected out of the rifle without any issues. Maybe a gas port/piston issue?
DubageL

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 08:32:19 PM »

It sounds like that shipping preservative got hot and turned gummy. Iíd pull the bolt carrier assembly out and give the bolt a really good strip and clean with contact cleaner. Iíd also scrub and flush out the barrel and chamber.
cciman

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 12:40:07 AM »

Is this new manufacture steel case ammo?  If this is not, did you shoot steel prior to having these malfs?

What brand ammo is this?   Is this type of ammo new to this gun, or was it the same you have been using up until now?

What other variables have changed since it last functioned without a problem?
rockelino

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 09:42:50 AM »

Is this new manufacture steel case ammo?  If this is not, did you shoot steel prior to having these malfs?

What brand ammo is this?   Is this type of ammo new to this gun, or was it the same you have been using up until now?

What other variables have changed since it last functioned without a problem?

It's brand new IMI 556 NATO 62 and 55 gr. In previous range visits I shot new IMI 55gr, and remanufactured Freedom munitions Rem 223. Never had any jams before. Never shot steel casing ammo.
AverageJo

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 09:58:38 AM »

It sounds like you need a new brand of ammo my friend.
cciman

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 12:30:38 PM »

So you have not changed the shell deflector, nor any of the internals, nor shooting in odd positions where ejection port is obstructed.

I highly doubt it is the rifle

Drat.  I just got a lrge batch of IMI brand ammo from Midway, too  Angry
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 01:15:43 PM »

How carefully did you clean the rifle when you first got it and last shot it?
Pantera

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 09:07:05 PM »

So you have not changed the shell deflector, nor any of the internals, nor shooting in odd positions where ejection port is obstructed.

I highly doubt it is the rifle

Drat.  I just got a lrge batch of IMI brand ammo from Midway, too  Angry

I have shot a lot of IMI 55&62 in my X95. Never one malfunction.
rockelino

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 10:44:06 PM »

How carefully did you clean the rifle when you first got it and last shot it?
I cleaned it pretty good after buying it and immediately after shooting it each time. I wonder if anyone else experienced anything like that and how they fixed it. Still no word back from IWI.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:31:25 AM by rockelino » Logged
JRKrejsa

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 11:55:39 PM »

Iíve had issues with the rifle firing, extracting, ejecting, and chambering a new round, but the trigger did not reset all the way.

My X-95 seems to like 5.56, as it has this problem far more with .223, and cheap.223 in particular.

I now wonder if it is not a cleaning issue.  I was spraying a water based firearms cleaner directly into the area where the piston goes.  I wonder if this isnít getting sticky over time and slowing down the piston, which slows the whole system.  I have since mucked out this area with an oil based solvent, dried it out, and re assembled.

Waiting for another range trip to see if this helps.

Never a common issue.  And either pulling the half reset trigger- with no round going off, OR, manually shoving the trigger foreword would reset it and solve the malfunction.
rockelino

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 12:18:09 AM »

Iíve had issues with the rifle firing, extracting, ejecting, and chambering a new round, but the trigger did not reset all the way.

My X-95 seems to like 5.56, as it has this problem far more with .223, and cheap.223 in particular.

I now wonder if it is not a cleaning issue.  I was spraying a water based firearms cleaner directly into the area where the piston goes.  I wonder if this isnít getting sticky over time and slowing down the piston, which slows the whole system.  I have since mucked out this area with an oil based solvent, dried it out, and re assembled.

Waiting for another range trip to see if this helps.

Never a common issue.  And either pulling the half reset trigger- with no round going off, OR, manually shoving the trigger foreword would reset it and solve the malfunction.

I'm open to any advice - any idea how to best clean the area where the piston goes? I'm only using Ballistol type CLP solvents, not water base. Thanks in advance to you and anyone else who is contributing to this thread. I just wish IWI didn't take too long to reply. It's been over 2 days now.
Rastoff

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 12:25:05 AM »

Still no word back from IMI.
It will take a while if you just sent them an email. Last time I sent them an email it took over a month to get a response. They did respond, it just took a while.

Do you have any pictures of the malfunction?

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
rockelino

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 12:30:50 AM »

No, I should've taken some pics, but it did not cross my mind at the time. I will definitely do that if it happens again. I'm not going to the range for at least a month (deployed), but as soon as I'm back, I'll do a little bit of pre-shoot cleaning (even though I cleaned it post shooting) and go check it out again.
DubageL

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 07:10:40 PM »

I used carburetor/brake clean. You are going to need to do a detail strip. That factory preservative is tough!! Just flushing it didnít do it. I took a disposable aluminum pie baking pan and soaked the parts and used wet patches to get it off. Also took out the trigger pack but used electronic contact cleaner. Take apart the bolt and swab/flush the parts. Also flushed out the inside metal receiver frame. Then lube real good with oil. I ran it really wet to break it in. 
rockelino

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 09:16:31 PM »

Also flushed out the inside metal receiver frame. Then lube real good with oil. I ran it really wet to break it in. 

Any advice how to flush the inside metal receiver frame? I'm guessing this, and re-cleaning the bolt carrier group might fix the issue.
DubageL

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 10:16:11 AM »

I did a full detail strip. Removed the rear rubber butpad, pistol grip, top rail, so I could wipe down the outside of the barrel and gas block area, forearm, trigger pack, bolt and bolt carrier. Scrubbed piston, bolt-carrier springs and rod with brush and wet patches in pan. Put it muzzle down into a metal pie pan with a rag and flushed everything down gastube and barrel. You will see some residual cleaning fluid  “leaking” out of the gas tube area, sort of like where an ar15 front sight is mounted to the barrel/gas port area and where the barrel mounts into the receiver. Don’t worry about it. Used wet patches for wiping everything and a chamber brush. Then looked everything over closely with a good light to make sure I didn’t miss anything. Same for the bolt, bolt carrier assembly. Make sure you use the manual for disassembly and assembly. Make sure you properly remount the top rail, that it’s seated properly and torque correctly. I used electronic contact cleaner and wipes on the trigger pack as it’s less harsh on polymers. Also flushed the mag release buttons and linkages with it then lubed. That packing lube is nasty. I did a 90 round mag dump, 3 30’s to heat it up. You will probably get a little bit of smoking when you shoot it but it’s just residual burning off. No worries. I ran it really wet, used Rem-oil, lubed everything inside and out. Then recleaned, relubed, didn’t take fully apart but did clean barrel, gastube, bolt/carrier. Used pmc 5.56, imi m193 over 2500rds no problems.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 10:25:46 AM by DubageL » Logged
cciman

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 01:58:35 PM »

I don't think the gas tube is your problem....BUT, if you want to detail clean it, best to take it out (you need a special wrench to unlock the barrel (sold on bullpupforum).

I use brake cleaner and a 12ga bore mop, only during times I have it apart (rarely)

Have you been lubing your piston during previous cleanings?

You do not want any residual lubricant or oil on the piston parts nor in the gas tube.  Any lube or residual on it will burn, carmelize, and cause carbon rough spots-- normally just wipe it down to get most of the crap off the piston surface.

Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 05:41:58 PM »

I have 1000's of rounds through one of mine. Using Wolf and Freedom only . Since I ran out of PMC. No issues ever . I go 2,000 rounds before cleaning . Sometimes maybe more . Magazines are normally the issue when Gun has worked just fine before. That and Steel. I never use steel in anything. Not worth the few pennies per round savings IMO
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length