Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2018, 11:02:21 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Factory Steyr "Suppressor" Gas Plugs In Stock
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Factory Steyr "Suppressor" Gas Plugs In Stock  (Read 3529 times)
PjsSteyrAUG

The Steyr AUG Guy

« on: February 28, 2018, 07:10:30 PM »

Call or email to order yours

Factory Steyr Austrian Military Suppressor Gas Plugs now in stock

For suppressor use, these are factory gas plugs, not modified ones.

Thanks,
Pete Athens / Pja
pjs1inc@aol.com
704-668-7973

* canplug.jpg (1398.29 KB, 2555x2252 - viewed 131 times.)
CabbitOne
^

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 10:52:38 AM »

Call or email to order yours

Factory Steyr Austrian Military Suppressor Gas Plugs now in stock

For suppressor use, these are factory gas plugs, not modified ones.

Thanks,
Pete Athens / Pja
pjs1inc@aol.com
704-668-7973

Iím pretty sure there was a discussion about these a while back, but I canít seem to find it...so Iíll just ask again.

Obviously these are intended for use with suppressors, but what is actually different?
Jack Flag

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 11:16:34 AM »

A normal gas plug has 3 settings. Regular, adverse and grenade. Reg is larger hole, adverse is a smaller hole (to push to more gas in the system for a dirty gun or less powerfull ammo. Grenade is closed and lets no gas escape. It's very quite and turns the gun into a single shot.

These new plugs, like on Steyr military guns from my understanding. Have no adverse setting. And the suppressor setting has a larger hole than the regular setting. to let more gas escape and make the gun reliable w/ suppressors.
Jack Flag

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 12:43:54 PM »

I just bought a couple a few minutes ago. About 13 left of the second batch left.

Get 'em while they're hot.
mpd3285
^

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 03:43:49 PM »

I got mine in.  (The dirty plug is the regular one, clean is the suppressor type )Testing soon to follow. At first inspection, the Normal (small dot) setting appears to be the same as a standard plug. Holes all seem same size and open up same ports in the gas piston block. The Adverse setting (big dot) looks to be a "gas off" setting like the normal plug in GR, perhaps so you can still get straight pull repeater function, I hope. The GR setting seems to open the same hole as a normal plug in adverse, but with different dimensions.  

* 20180226_094411.jpg (4544.1 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 157 times.)

* 20180226_094501.jpg (4640.3 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 130 times.)

* 20180226_094417.jpg (4056.97 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 105 times.)

* 20180226_094528.jpg (3441.61 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 112 times.)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:20:29 PM by mpd3285 » Logged

Steyr AUG= Austrian combat Legos since 1977.
Why SBR when you can AUG?! - Haven't we been taxed enough already?
kkok
^

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 10:04:59 PM »

Hi mpd3285,

Do you have pictures comparing the hole sizes and where they line up when the gas plugs are inserted?  Thanks.
mpd3285
^

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 10:53:21 PM »

I don't know that pictures will show it well.  Consider there is a small exhaust port on TOP, a larger exhaust port on the BOTTOM/side, and the passage from the barrel into the PISTON chamber. Here is how I would chart it:

Standard Gas Plug-Normal "o" Setting- TOP= Medium Diameter Hole, BOTTOM=Closed, BARREL to PISTON=Open
Standard Gas Plug-Adverse "O" Setting-TOP= Small Diameter Hole, BOTTOM=Closed, BARREL to PISTON=Open
Standard Gas Plug-GR Setting-TOP= Closed, BOTTOM=Large Hole, Slightly off center, BARREL to PISTON=OFF

Suppressor Plug- Normal "o" Setting- TOP= Medium Diameter Hole, BOTTOM=Closed, BARREL to PISTON=Open (Same as standard plug)
Suppressor Plug- Adverse "O" Setting- TOP= Closed, BOTTOM=Large Hole, Slightly off center, BARREL to PISTON=OFF (I think this becomes the new GR/Straight pull setting)
Suppressor Plug- GR Setting- TOP= Large Diameter Hole, BOTTOM=Closed, BARREL to PISTON=Open, but smaller than Normal (I am assuming this is the  Suppressed Setting, less gas into piston, more venting out).

Normal Plug has holes at 1,8,10,11 o'clock
Suppressed Plug has holes at 1,2,5,10 o'clock

That's my armchair assessment.  I will shoot ASAP to confirm and give impressions on gas/fouling reductions achieved.

sboone

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 11:25:10 PM »

So hereís a question Iíve got, if your running suppressor wouldnít you not want that gas escaping from the piston vent?  Isnít that why the ratworx suppressor vented it to the suppressor?  Is there a reason a guy couldnít run an OSS flow through suppressor so that you donít get any back pressure,  and then take the GR setting and have a small gas port milled out piston to barrel enough to cycle and then not have anything vent out of the piston?  It should all vent forward through the suppressor at that point right?
kkok
^

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 12:43:57 AM »

I don't know that pictures will show it well.  Consider there is a small exhaust port on TOP, a larger exhaust port on the BOTTOM/side, and the passage from the barrel into the PISTON chamber. Here is how I would chart it:

Standard Gas Plug-Normal "o" Setting- TOP= Medium Diameter Hole, BOTTOM=Closed, BARREL to PISTON=Open
Standard Gas Plug-Adverse "O" Setting-TOP= Small Diameter Hole, BOTTOM=Closed, BARREL to PISTON=Open
Standard Gas Plug-GR Setting-TOP= Closed, BOTTOM=Large Hole, Slightly off center, BARREL to PISTON=OFF

Suppressor Plug- Normal "o" Setting- TOP= Medium Diameter Hole, BOTTOM=Closed, BARREL to PISTON=Open (Same as standard plug)
Suppressor Plug- Adverse "O" Setting- TOP= Closed, BOTTOM=Large Hole, Slightly off center, BARREL to PISTON=OFF (I think this becomes the new GR/Straight pull setting)
Suppressor Plug- GR Setting- TOP= Large Diameter Hole, BOTTOM=Closed, BARREL to PISTON=Open, but smaller than Normal (I am assuming this is the  Suppressed Setting, less gas into piston, more venting out).

That's my armchair assessment.  I will shoot ASAP to confirm and give impressions on gas/fouling reductions achieved.

Thanks.  That's the info I was looking for.  The fact that the pictures had holes in different locations threw me off.

Look forward to your actual shooting report.  What suppresor you pairing this up with?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 12:48:23 AM by kkok » Logged
CabbitOne
^

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 11:10:09 AM »

I don't know that pictures will show it well.  Consider there is a small exhaust port on TOP, a larger exhaust port on the BOTTOM/side, and the passage from the barrel into the PISTON chamber. Here is how I would chart it:

Suppressor Plug- GR Setting- TOP= Large Diameter Hole, BOTTOM=Closed, BARREL to PISTON=Open, but smaller than Normal (I am assuming this is the  Suppressed Setting, less gas into piston, more venting out).

That's my armchair assessment.  I will shoot ASAP to confirm and give impressions on gas/fouling reductions achieved.

Thanks! This is what I was looking for a well.

Normal stays Normal
Adverse becomes Grenade/Off
Grenade/Off becomes Suppressed
7n6

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 11:44:23 AM »

Why not do normal, adverse, and suppressed? Why not just eliminate grenade/closed altogether?
kkok
^

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 01:02:11 PM »

Why not do normal, adverse, and suppressed? Why not just eliminate grenade/closed altogether?

I suspect it is because these are the real Austrian Military parts and not just made for the civilian market.
7n6

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 06:04:42 PM »

I suspect it is because these are the real Austrian Military parts and not just made for the civilian market.

They use 40mm under barrel grenade launchers though.
mpd3285
^

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 09:24:15 PM »

I like keeping the "straight pull repeater" as an option when suppressed. It is quieter as there is no "piston pop" and no bolt noise or ejection.  It's like making AUG into suppressed bolt action. Never had much use for Adverse setting anyway.

Hkbeltfed

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 10:03:50 PM »

I like keeping the "straight pull repeater" as an option when suppressed. It is quieter as there is no "piston pop" and no bolt noise or ejection.  It's like making AUG into suppressed bolt action. Never had much use for Adverse setting anyway.

A video I made of doing so... https://youtu.be/zh_ncS0fCSY
Hkbeltfed

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 09:53:22 PM »

Got mine, haven't used it yet, but the port sizes look promising. Keep in mind when reading the following, I'm using a factory 14" barrel. Mine was still slightly overgassed suppressed even with a .101" port often mentioned on the forums, .00785 port area. So, I used the stock port and added an extra port totaling .0103 post area and it was slightly undergassed. I measured the new plug with pin gauges at .110, netting .0095 port area. So, in between the two and hopefully the sweet spot! Will report back after shooting.
Hkbeltfed

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 04:49:18 PM »

Welp, turns out my modified plug works better in my factory 14" barrel, so my suppressor plug is going up for sale. Oh well.
charliegotnolove
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 11:23:07 PM »

Hk

What metric are you using to judge it works better?
Hkbeltfed

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 09:45:28 PM »

Ejection pattern.
mpd3285
^

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 03:28:33 PM »

Tested mine out today with 16" barrel and AAC M4-2000 and AAC Mini 4.  
As I suspected the first setting is normal/regular (works same suppressed or unsuppressed).
Adverse is now "GR" or no gas (so you get straight pull function).  
GR is the suppressed setting.  
When compared to running suppressed in "normal", the bolt speed is reduced in the "suppressed" setting.  It was noticeable to me. Unicorn and rainbows didn't appear and it wasn't all of a sudden like shooting a MP5-SD, but the felt recoil was not a violent as running suppressed in the regular setting.  Ejection pattern was forward to the 2 o'clock.  If left in "suppressed/GR" with the can OFF, the round will eject, it cocks the hammer, but does not pick up a new round.  The porting in the plug/piston needs the additional pressure created by the suppressor to get the bolt all the way to the rear.  

* 20180313_105337.jpg (6225.26 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 150 times.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 03:31:10 PM by mpd3285 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length