Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2018, 11:54:50 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Never felt a need to by a Suppressor until Now.
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Never felt a need to by a Suppressor until Now.  (Read 3608 times)
whitetail

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 11:08:55 AM »

Look into a YHM turbo, its probably the best, low cost silencer on the market, its about 399 with a mount included ($100+ value). Silencershop carries them on their website.
whitetail

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 11:09:36 AM »

I like that idea. every time they come out let them fire off a few rounds on your rifles.

If you just want a cheap suppressor to show that you made an effort, get an oil filter and the little oil filter thread adapter suppressor. You'll still have to pay a tax stamp, but it's a lot cheaper than buying a dedicated suppressor.

He cannot legally replace the oil filter when its worn out, which on 5.56 will be fairly quickly. He has to send it back to the MFG to do so.
Craigy

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 10:55:52 AM »

Neighbor is a renter.  You live in the country.  Call up his landlord and buy the property.  Has to be pretty cheap.

https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=11602.0
45r

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 02:50:07 AM »

Get the OSS.
Its the way to go for the tavor.
Might as well get the best when waiting a long time for it.
Low back pressure cans are the future.
metinemre

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2018, 02:22:40 AM »

Get a louder gun or tell your neighbor that the solution will cost for him/her the suppressor bill since he/she is the one that is disturbed. If i was disturbed by my neighbor`s rifle i`d buy him a suppressor as a gift before calling cops.
RNB
^

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2018, 06:29:31 PM »

I had the same problem, but I got around it my every time they complained I called the local SWAT team and had a cookout for them and we spent the rest of the day shooting on my range with my Barrett fifty . Evil
pyroxide

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2018, 08:09:51 PM »

I recently purchased a brand new Nexgen Maxflo 3D on gunbroker for a steal, and have just begun my wait. It is supposed to be comparable to an OSS with its method on removing back-pressure. It has a 2" outside diameter, which theoretically could have more suppression capacity than the OSS. I'd love to see the 2 compared apples-to-apples. Very few results on google shooting with it, and none that I can see shooting anything other than .22 or 5.56.
RNB
^

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2018, 09:20:03 PM »

I have started the paper work on 4 oss suppressors because they was so cheap like 550. each so I got two elite 7.62 and two helix QD old style in 7.62  My dealer  has a indoor range so I am able to use them while I wait for the stamps with the Tavor 95  love them.
blottogg

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2018, 07:07:28 AM »

A well designed suppressor will knock about 30 dB off the muzzle rapport.  For a 16" barrel shooting 5.56mm ammo, that means going from 160+dB (not hearing safe) to 130-140db, with 140db being the cut-off for hearing safe for an impulse noise (sustained noise has a lower level for hearing safe status).  The bullet will still be supersonic (subsonic ammunition is available, but too underpowered to cycle the action), and there's still the noise from the action cycling with full power ammo, and the suppressor only affects the muzzle rapport.  It will reduce the noise making it to your neighbors noticably, but if they're determined to be dinks and can see where you're shooting from, any noise or motion might trigger a call to the cops from them.  Sometimes neighbors just suck.

I've got a Gemtech Halo GM on my Tavor, and as others have said, high backpressure cans like mine aren't a good fit for the fixed gas system of the Tavor or X95.  The OSS can is low backpressure, and the best I've read about for working with the Tavor/X95, though I haven't looked at the newest stuff coming out.  A suppressor sized for .30 cal rifles (.308, .300 WinMag) will work with 5.56, provided you can get the properly threaded adaptor (1/2x28 for 5.56mm, .308 barrels are usually threaded 5/8x24, so a directly threaded .308 suppressor won't work without an adaptor), but as others have said, there will be a 2-3db loss of suppression because the gas has more room to leak around the bullet as it travels through the suppressor.  The up side is that the leakage will reduce the backpressure problem.  Another benefit is that you don't need a separate can (and tax stamp, and wait for said tax stamp) for a rifle you may have in .308 you'd like to run a can on. Just unscrew it from the X95 and screw it on the .308 rifle.  BAFTE approval for my suppressor's form 4 took about 9 months, don't know what the wait is these days.  Until you get the tax stamp, the can stays in your dealer's safe, since you've got to buy it before filling out the form 4 (it's serial number specific).  You'll also need a gun trust or an LLC to register the suppressor to, for the most flexibility in using it.  Given the frequent trips the cops are forced to make because of this dink, I'd be inclined to dot i's and cross t's with regard to the legal paperwork.
Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 01:30:50 PM »

A well designed suppressor will knock about 30 dB off the muzzle rapport.  For a 16" barrel shooting 5.56mm ammo, that means going from 160+dB (not hearing safe) to 130-140db, with 140db being the cut-off for hearing safe for an impulse noise (sustained noise has a lower level for hearing safe status).  The bullet will still be supersonic (subsonic ammunition is available, but too underpowered to cycle the action), and there's still the noise from the action cycling with full power ammo, and the suppressor only affects the muzzle rapport.  It will reduce the noise making it to your neighbors noticably, but if they're determined to be dinks and can see where you're shooting from, any noise or motion might trigger a call to the cops from them.  Sometimes neighbors just suck.

I've got a Gemtech Halo GM on my Tavor, and as others have said, high backpressure cans like mine aren't a good fit for the fixed gas system of the Tavor or X95.  The OSS can is low backpressure, and the best I've read about for working with the Tavor/X95, though I haven't looked at the newest stuff coming out.  A suppressor sized for .30 cal rifles (.308, .300 WinMag) will work with 5.56, provided you can get the properly threaded adaptor (1/2x28 for 5.56mm, .308 barrels are usually threaded 5/8x24, so a directly threaded .308 suppressor won't work without an adaptor), but as others have said, there will be a 2-3db loss of suppression because the gas has more room to leak around the bullet as it travels through the suppressor.  The up side is that the leakage will reduce the backpressure problem.  Another benefit is that you don't need a separate can (and tax stamp, and wait for said tax stamp) for a rifle you may have in .308 you'd like to run a can on. Just unscrew it from the X95 and screw it on the .308 rifle.  BAFTE approval for my suppressor's form 4 took about 9 months, don't know what the wait is these days.  Until you get the tax stamp, the can stays in your dealer's safe, since you've got to buy it before filling out the form 4 (it's serial number specific).  You'll also need a gun trust or an LLC to register the suppressor to, for the most flexibility in using it.  Given the frequent trips the cops are forced to make because of this dink, I'd be inclined to dot i's and cross t's with regard to the legal paperwork.
Thanks for the INFO:
Jack Flag

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 02:03:41 PM »

I will say this. People are free to do what they want. But I would never shoot a gun,like an AR, Tavor, etc w/ a suppressor, without at least some ear plugs in. OSHA standards for "hearing safe" for impulse noises can and probably still do some damage to your ears. Sure pop off a round or 2 or 5.56 and you may be OK. But outside for an hour, shooting round after round after round. Hundreds of them. And you're doing damage. Even if your ears don't hurt much or at all.
Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 10:19:44 AM »

I will say this. People are free to do what they want. But I would never shoot a gun,like an AR, Tavor, etc w/ a suppressor, without at least some ear plugs in. OSHA standards for "hearing safe" for impulse noises can and probably still do some damage to your ears. Sure pop off a round or 2 or 5.56 and you may be OK. But outside for an hour, shooting round after round after round. Hundreds of them. And you're doing damage. Even if your ears don't hurt much or at all.
Huh? 
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 12:24:11 PM »

Huh? 

Though it wasn't absolutely clear, I took his statement to involve shooting the more common supersonic rounds through many/most rifles with a suppressor as not being totally "safe" to hearing.  From my experience, I find this to be generally true.  I've shot with my own suppressor and around others with their suppressors, and for the most part and for many calibers and guns, there is still a level of pain or at least a decent level of annoyance when shooting supers through a suppressor.  It's far from the movie version of "Pffft-Pffft".

I don't have a decibel meter, and I'm not trying to make this discussion absolutely scientific, especially as we're talking about different guns and calibers.  Still, there are plenty of already available studies that prove that many guns and calibers still produce damaging decibel levels, especially with repeated shots. 

Now, when talking about subsonic rounds in suppressed firearms, they are usually below any damaging levels for the most part and often quite pleasant to shoot without any earpro.
pyroxide

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2018, 04:12:03 PM »

Now, when talking about subsonic rounds in suppressed firearms, they are usually below any damaging levels for the most part and often quite pleasant to shoot without any earpro.

Not sure why anyone would use a suppressor with super ammo. If shooting for accuracy semi or full auto, a muzzle brake would help much more, reducing felt recoil as well as keeping on target.

This study as well as this article explains why brakes are preferred in competition.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2018, 12:05:43 AM »

Not sure why anyone would use a suppressor with super ammo. If shooting for accuracy semi or full auto, a muzzle brake would help much more, reducing felt recoil as well as keeping on target.

This study as well as this article explains why brakes are preferred in competition.

I've read that prb article and some others on the subject.  I don't think they really discount the use of suppressors in long range competition as much as rationalize why they aren't more popular...cost, nfa hassle, etc.  I certainly defend anyone's preference for or against a suppressor for whatever reason for their personal use, but I think there's ample, reasonable evidence why many like to use them for whatever purpose.  The prb article even comments on some of them.

Even though I wear earpro when shooting supers in a rifle or pistol, it is still much more pleasurable with a suppressor.  I live in the country.  I can shoot from the back of my house and remain under the 25 X 60 car and patio cover in the shade and not feel the concussion of the muzzle blast.  My wife can be inside without experiencing the heavy pounding of an open muzzle or muzzle break.  And while my neighbors aren't like downtown next door, they appreciate the quieter report when I do a lengthy ammo development.  There are many beneficial reasons to use a suppressor but none of them are an absolute that would demand one.
pyroxide

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2018, 06:50:11 AM »

I've read that prb article and some others on the subject.  I don't think they really discount the use of suppressors in long range competition as much as rationalize why they aren't more popular...cost, nfa hassle, etc.  I certainly defend anyone's preference for or against a suppressor for whatever reason for their personal use, but I think there's ample, reasonable evidence why many like to use them for whatever purpose.  The prb article even comments on some of them.
While more than 60 of those top 100 finishers used brakes for competition, that study also looks into the theory that they do not use a suppressor because of NFA or cost; it even has a nice graphic. 65 of the top 100 said he/she would use "either, depending on the situation." 24 said they would use brake only, 11 would use suppressor only. ...meaning at least 76 of these people own suppressors.

Sorry I strayed further off topic, but running supersonic ammunition through a suppressor when reliable subsonic is available doesn't make any sense to me. If you need to be quiet, use subsonic with a suppressor. Otherwise, wear your ear protection and use a brake.

Because I am going to purchase a Tavor for home defense (X95 SBR in 300 BLK), I will be suppressing it with a zero added back-pressure NG2 Maxflo 3D. And I will be running subsonic 220 gr. HPBT through it. It will still be loud (especially inside a home), but hearing safe.

Perhaps one day there will be a .45 X95, possibly with SBR option. I suppose I should be happy with a 300 BLK option as it is still a larger caliber than the .223, can be subsonic, and will still cycle the rifle.
RickyRifle

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2018, 09:23:27 PM »

I hesitate to say this, but Botach has the OSS Helix in 7.62 on sale for $400 with mount included. You can add an additional 5.56 mount for $100.

Iíve never had a problem ordering from Botach, but I always call to verify that the item is in stock.

Because of their less-than-stellar reputation, if I were to order an NFA item from them, I would pay with a credit card and not hesitate to initiate a chargeback if thereís any funny business.

For that price, I was considering ordering one to use on an AUG and on a .300 BLK pistol but am waiting on reports that Botach has actually shipped any cans.

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length