Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2018, 11:50:37 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Never felt a need to by a Suppressor until Now.
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Never felt a need to by a Suppressor until Now.  (Read 3607 times)
Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: February 19, 2018, 02:38:43 PM »

Long story Short : Live in the country Have my own range : Lately have a neighbor who complains so much about everything, that after their 9th visit . The Cops asked if I'd get some sort of sound Suppressor . So when this guy complains they can say Nothing we can do.

PLEASE NOTE: Cops didn't demand I get one : They just suggested it. Personally though is it going to make that big of a difference  for someone basically down range and off to the side?

LAST : What's a good Silencer that doesn't weight a tone : Huh?  Should I get a larger can then dedicated 5:56?
cementman

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 04:13:54 PM »

Be prepared to spend over $700.00 for any decent suppressor.  In addition to that you will have to purchase a $200.00 Federal stamp for it.
Jack Flag

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 05:06:16 PM »

Suppressors do make a difference.

If you're mainly thinking about 5.56, a dedicated suppressor for that caliber may be the way to go. A multicaliber can will obviously work, but it won't be as quiet. Were talking a few decibles here. Which can be substantial in some cases. But a round like 5.56 is going to be "loud" anyway. With the inherent sonic boom/crack. A 5.56 suppressor, for you, is gonna be right on the cusp of what is considered "hearing safe".

Thing to remember is db ratings are not linear. But is logarithmic. Essentially meaning that going from 10 to 20 db isn't twice as loud. It's more like 10 thousands times as loud to your year. (I always were ear pro when shooting 5.56 suppressed. Suppressed on rifle rounds like these will make a difference. But your neighbor may still probably here something when you shoot.

If you've never shot one before, you're probably gonna be surprised. It's not like the movies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/03/20/are-firearms-with-a-silencer-quiet/?utm_term=.e0a02b35578e

http://www.gunsandammo.com/gun-culture/the-science-of-hearing-protection/
SteveD

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 06:02:09 PM »

It's gonna still be loud, sonic crack is gonna be there, but definitely buy yourself a freedom can. I suggest an OSS suppressor for the Tavor because of the overgassing. Or you can buy a 308 can which at times can be the same or better in decibel reduction. It has more volume to trap gas but doesn't trap gas as well as a dedicated can. It will, however, reduce backpressure, which is a problem with the Tavor because little can be done to compensate for a suppressor unlike the AR platform.

I was always interested in the Dead Air Sandman-K, which is 13oz, 5.4" short, and rated to 300WM. But you will sacrifice sound reduction. $569
SilenceroCo Omega for $850, 14.7oz, 7 inches; both cans can be found on SilencerShop.
Vee12

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 06:22:46 PM »

5.56/.223 is still pretty loud suppressed...I still wear my muffs. Agree with a dedicated suppressor for the 556/223. I have a Silencerco Hybrid that I use on several platforms, but Id look hard at the Sig 556 can. Cheaper than any of the other choices out there, good quality, and it works really well.
Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 07:40:46 PM »

WHAT SUPPRESSOR IS THIS in video?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwwMIuMpiuc&t=537s
SteveD

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 07:42:29 PM »

That's an OSS Suppressor. The specific model, not sure, but the Tavor/x95 cannot use the over the barrel models
Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 10:00:23 AM »

That's an OSS Suppressor. The specific model, not sure, but the Tavor/x95 cannot use the over the barrel models
So I guess I have to find out what Suppressor Larry is using on the X-95 in the Video. IMO Suppressors are somewhat of a dimmick.  As they suppress more of the felt recoil then the noise : Same with 300 BO. It makes for a Good Suppressor round due to it's speed:
patrick711
^

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 10:10:25 AM »

Just a question, have you tried inviting this neighbor over to participate in shooting? If ya have an that didnt work, Send your azzhat neighbor that has call the PD 9x a pair of Howard Leigh earmuffs with a note on how an when he needs to use them. I'll bet no matter how much you try to placate this person it wont work, because its probably not the sound but the fear of guns that drives this person. Suppressors help but the gun is still gonna make noise. (Keep a supply of donuts around for you know who) One other thought, be sure to document each interaction with this guy an the PD it could save your bacon in the future.  
Heavy

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 10:44:38 AM »

Get a louder gun.
Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 11:15:39 AM »

Just a question, have you tried inviting this neighbor over to participate in shooting? If ya have an that didnt work, Send your azzhat neighbor that has call the PD 9x a pair of Howard Leigh earmuffs with a note on how an when he needs to use them. I'll bet no matter how much you try to placate this person it wont work, because its probably not the sound but the fear of guns that drives this person. Suppressors help but the gun is still gonna make noise. (Keep a supply of donuts around for you know who) One other thought, be sure to document each interaction with this guy an the PD it could save your bacon in the future.  
LOL *I've been to Court required Mediation with the Guy Twice*  It's an extremely long story that you can find in the full details of in the  general forum : 
Getting a suppressor is the last thing I need to do to show I have done everything possible to keep the peace . *I've already been told I have a legal right to shoot*  What I am doing is covering all my bases so to speak. 
Jack Flag

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 01:18:12 PM »

So I guess I have to find out what Suppressor Larry is using on the X-95 in the Video. IMO Suppressors are somewhat of a dimmick.  As they suppress more of the felt recoil then the noise : Same with 300 BO. It makes for a Good Suppressor round due to it's speed:

I guess it depends on ow you look at it. On some rounds, tere's noting you can do about a good amount of noise because the rounds are supersonic. But suppressor take a lot of rounds that could/would instantly damage your hearing. Especially if you were shooting more than a couple rounds. And makes it hearing safe. Plus a lot of times, much of the noise is coming from the action of the gun itself. And some guns just don't suppress well.

I blame hollywood. Since it seems like all guns on shows and movies are pew, pew whispers.

Suppressor are just plain fun. First time I shot one. Instant smile on my face. But they are a bit of a hassle to get.

Plus I think they are important for home defense. Smiley
Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 02:48:48 PM »

So I guess I have to find out what Suppressor Larry is using on the X-95 in the Video. IMO Suppressors are somewhat of a dimmick.  As they suppress more of the felt recoil then the noise : Same with 300 BO. It makes for a Good Suppressor round due to it's speed:

I guess it depends on ow you look at it. On some rounds, tere's noting you can do about a good amount of noise because the rounds are supersonic. But suppressor take a lot of rounds that could/would instantly damage your hearing. Especially if you were shooting more than a couple rounds. And makes it hearing safe. Plus a lot of times, much of the noise is coming from the action of the gun itself. And some guns just don't suppress well.

I blame hollywood. Since it seems like all guns on shows and movies are pew, pew whispers.

Suppressor are just plain fun. First time I shot one. Instant smile on my face. But they are a bit of a hassle to get.

Plus I think they are important for home defense. Smiley
Yeah I realize they don't really benefit all the much. It's the reason I haven't wasted money on one. Especially to shoot an X-95 which isn't the most Suppressor friendly rifle.

I am only considering one because it's the last thing on a List of 6 changes I volunteered to make to calm the neighbor down.  *None of which have helped or are going to help*  

Worse thing is it's 2 guys that are renting this little house trailer that sits on a small 165 FT Wide - 10 Acre sliver of land between far larger parcels . Everyone out by me owns at least 30 acres . How someone bought just 10 can't even be answered by the Township (If you know what I mean)  Let alone allowing it to be rental property.

Most everyone Shoots. This guy complains mainly about me because he can see me. There's times when others have been shooting and he calls on me. It's a big joke but the Police have to make the stop when a complaint is made. Hopefully they won't stay to long. Coming up on a year . So maybe they'll move out XXXX

The thread has gotten pretty side tracked. I know all the pros and Cons etc. I was hoping to hear more about the OSS and maybe something else from a satisfaction point of view:  I appreciate all teh advise. It's just not the advice I had in mind:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 02:55:21 PM by Rick53 » Logged
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 01:08:02 AM »

As pointed out while suppressors don't do the movie "pffft-pffft" thing, I think they do a lot to mitigate sound.  The shorter the barrel of the .223/5.56 weapon, the louder they are regardless of suppression...actually obnoxiously loud with regular full power ammo.  For 16" and longer, I think a 5.56 gun is noticeably quieted.  On my 16" and longer 5.56 guns, I can do without ear pro but not my 11.5" and 14.5".

I'm using a SilencerCo Hybrid that allows you to change barrel thread caps, QD caps, end caps, all to accommodate different calibers from .22 to .46.  They don't offer it anymore...I think because it was too expensive because of its modularity.  It's basically like a couple of their other suppressors, the Omega and Saker.  Some still offer the .22 to .30 cal capability.

I wouldn't buy a suppressor that isn't at least somewhat convertible from .22 to .30 cal unless you have lots of bucks to buy multiple suppressors.  Rick, I live in the country too, but with neighbors in a reasonable distance as to gunfire sounds.  They tell me they can definitely tell when I'm using the suppressor vs. not.  It makes a difference.
Jack Flag

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 03:51:41 AM »

I believe my post was misunderstood. I believe suppressors give plenty of benefit.

As for te OSS. I would suggest you go to te suppressor section of a larger site like Arfcom m4carbine.net or silencertalk.
Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 10:19:52 AM »

I believe my post was misunderstood. I believe suppressors give plenty of benefit.

As for te OSS. I would suggest you go to te suppressor section of a larger site like Arfcom m4carbine.net or silencertalk.
I asked about the OSS due to the group Buy that is sticky in this forum.  Plu I think if it works on the X-95 it's better looking then most suppressors are. Thanks everyone .
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 10:53:49 AM »

I asked about the OSS due to the group Buy that is sticky in this forum.  Plu I think if it works on the X-95 it's better looking then most suppressors are. Thanks everyone .

I thought the point of a suppressor is sound, not sight?

AE
Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 11:51:35 AM »

I asked about the OSS due to the group Buy that is sticky in this forum.  Plu I think if it works on the X-95 it's better looking then most suppressors are. Thanks everyone .

I thought the point of a suppressor is sound, not sight?

AE
LOL : Am I misunderstanding : What I'm reading and finding in reviews is many like the OSS Suppressors. Has that changed ?
boscoman

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 04:35:44 PM »

A lot of the sound that comes from a rifle is to the sides. If you one, don't want to be seen so much by them build a small for lack of a better term range shooting area for yourself & then insulate the walls to help absorb sound.
 I would also invite the police to shoot with you. Let the neighbor see that they are YOUR friend & maybe they will move. Can't hurt.
 BTW, if you do a search in the internets of

gun range sound absorbing material

You will get lots of ideas, & materials that are used to keep thing quieter.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 04:43:44 PM by boscoman » Logged

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it
phantoms

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 01:29:20 PM »

I like that idea. every time they come out let them fire off a few rounds on your rifles.

If you just want a cheap suppressor to show that you made an effort, get an oil filter and the little oil filter thread adapter suppressor. You'll still have to pay a tax stamp, but it's a lot cheaper than buying a dedicated suppressor.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length