Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2018, 04:40:12 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  Tavor7
| | | |-+  Planning Ahead for Tavor 7
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Planning Ahead for Tavor 7  (Read 2688 times)
boscoman

« on: February 14, 2018, 07:51:36 AM »

https://www.botach.com/lancer-5-56mm-7-62mm-magazines/

While I already have an optic (Elcan Specter) and a new sling for the Tavor 7  that will adorn my gun safe, I happened upon Lancer 25 round magazines for the rifle. I have never been a big fan of Magpul & prefer the Lancers. Now the bonus with them is 5 xtra rounds. Already picked up 6 of them. Now I have no choice but to buy the rifle when it is released.

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it
ammomans

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 10:11:03 AM »

I wouldn't say "no choice"... those mags work in AR-10s as well as the MDR (assuming Desert Tech actually finishes it).  So there are other options out there!

Out of curiosity, what do you not like about the PMAGs?  I've been using them in my AR-10s for hunting for a few years and I've never had an issue with them.  Also, Magpul does make a 25 round SR-25 magazine.  (they make 10, 20 and 25 rounders)  Unfortunately since I'm in Colorado, I can no longer purchase anything mags over 15 rounds.  Since no one makes a 15 round mag for the AR-10, I have to use what I already have or get the 10 round ones. Sad

boscoman

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 01:04:46 PM »

Other choices... don't be silly. It has to be a Tavor 7.
Ok as to the P Mags, I feel that they are simply over rated & that there are better choices out there. I prefer Lancers or even Tapco mags. A few years back one of the gun magazines (can't find it) did test to see which were the most durable polymer mags out there. Tapco was the winner & held up being dropped & abused over all others including the P Mags. I have used the Tapcos & am impressed by them. I know everyone has their favorites, P Mags just aren't mine.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:13:27 PM by boscoman » Logged

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

spacegunz

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 02:28:56 PM »

PMAGs in 5.56 are awesome (I've had zero problems), but I've had a lot of problems actually with Magpul's .308 PMAGs. I went through probably 30 mags (including replacements) where the followers were sticky brand new, and caused feeding malfunctions when loaded. Their advise was "oh well have you tried adding lube to the follower?" IMO, if the follower needs lube, you might have a problem with your production, or design.

To their credit, they did replace them every time I asked. The problem is, all the replacements caused malfunctions too. I ended up having just 2 good .308 PMAGs, which I purchased separately from a retail store, which was date stamped of a much older manufacture. All the recent batches I got via online orders (this was some time last year) had issues.

I believe the follower vs mag body dimensions were somehow mismatched such that the 'anti-tilt' follower would often tilt and seize up. This seemed to be a production issue with their batches around the time I ordered. I don't know if they fixed it or not, but it probably affects thousands if not tens of thousands of them.

I've never, not even once, had an issue with sticky followers in Lancer L7 or SCAR mags.

To be fair, my experience with Magpul's 5.56 PMAGs has been flawless, but the bad batch of .308 SR25 PMAGs I experienced really made me think twice about them in general.

Unfortunately I've also had feeding problems with a few of Lancer's 5.56 mags (not really sure what it was), so it seems I just can't win :/ That said, Lancer's warranty and customer service is excellent and they replaced the few bad ones I identified, no aquestions asked.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:38:13 AM by spacegunz » Logged
Verfed

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 07:56:36 PM »

Since no one makes a 15 round mag for the AR-10, I have to use what I already have or get the 10 round ones. Sad

Can't you just drive out of state with a bunch of your old mags and a rifle as if your going hunting or to a shooting range, buy some new mags, unpackage them, mix them up with your old mags, drive back home and viola new mags everyone's none the wiser? Not like their serialized or anything; hasn't it been decided that the ban is completely unenforceable anyways? 
ammomans

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 10:45:23 AM »

Since no one makes a 15 round mag for the AR-10, I have to use what I already have or get the 10 round ones. Sad
Not like their serialized or anything; hasn't it been decided that the ban is completely unenforceable anyways? 

I know PMAGs have a date embedded in the plastic of when they were manufactured (not sure about Lancer).  So it would be really easy for LEO to see the date and say it was manufactured after 2013 so it is illegal. (then I get fined, jail time, and loose all my firearms for at least a year)

While the law is very poorly written and most sheriffs are CURRENTLY refusing to enforce it, my concern is not for the present but for the future.  As more Californians move here, the "ignorant to educated" ratio is leaning more and more toward the ignorant side.  So I'm more concerned about how the law will be enforced 5-10 years from now.

(Just to show how ignorant the people here are - the main sponsor of the magazine bill from 2013 said that once a magazine or clip was used it it couldn't be reused again. So passing the law would eventually result in no "high capacity" magazines in the state!)
ammomans

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 10:49:14 AM »

I know everyone has their favorites, P Mags just aren't mine.

Thanks for your thoughts.  I wouldn't say PMAGs are my favorite either, but they are what I have so they are what I use.  And the price can't be beat! (I picked mine up for $14 each)

Someday (when I move to a free state) I'll have to try the Lancers in my 7.62 rifles.  Unless someone found those older (pre-2013) Lancer mags that I lent you and you can send them back to me? (I'll cover shipping - should be around $45 a mag, right?) Cheesy
spacegunz

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 01:28:40 AM »

*$#&@ I hate Lancer mags now. This talk of mag brands made me realize I have no lancer mags any more, so I went and bought some lancers today. I immediately regret this now, and it all came back to me why I got rid of my other lancers in past years.

* Lancer L5AWMs HATE 5.56 ammo with longer OAL, like my IMI mk262 Mod 1 ammo. The mag is simply not long enough, so the tips of each bullet ALMOST rubs against the mag unless itís seated perfectly back. As a result, if the ammo shifts around in the mag from normal carrying, you get the tips rubbing on the front of the mag, which causes massive friction. It would malfunction or double feed EVERY OTHER ROUND until I DROWNED the whole mag in CLP lube.

* I have never had a single issue running 77gr mk262 ammo in totally dry, non-lubricated PMAGs.

* Even some of the brand new mags had sticky followers when loaded with regular m193 ammo, so I took them all apart and lube them with CLP. One of them STILL had a lot of apparent friction. Even if it was perfect lubed, I fear what would happen when a lubed mag comes in contact with fine dust ó sounds like a recipe to instantly jam every mag exposed.

* After lubing all the followers, they seem to work better but thatís not the end of it: It all came back to me, another reason why I hate Lancerís 5.56 mags (again, I never had an issue with their .308s): They CANNOT be inserted on a closed bolt on a regular AR15. Itís even worse in a Tavor, since I can insert any PMAG on a closed bolt in my AR15, but the same PMAG will take a lot more force to lock into the Tavor.

* Despite the feeding problems with the lancers, the mag spring is SO stiff. The PMAGs are just so much more pleasant to load, unload etc.

At risk of offending some: Lancers 5.56 mags are not so great. PMAGs are more reliable, insert on a closed bolt, donít need lube, and are probably tougher too. Buy PMAGs for 5.56, and you will never regret it.

To be fair, I should give their excellent warranty policy a chance at fixing this. Maybe itís a bad batch with tolerance issues. The closed bolt insertion thing is a design problem though it seems, not a manufacturing defect.

Now when it comes to .308 itís another story; I wonder if Magpul ever resolves those sticky follower issues I had a year ago ó in later batches now, maybe they have.

I have the worst luck with reliability of firearm products for some reason.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 02:54:12 AM by spacegunz » Logged
boscoman

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 01:26:20 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Pre ordered my Tavor 7 today. March/April is listed as delivery date. No matter, at least I know I will be getting it.

ammomans

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 02:48:43 PM »

Where did you preorder it?

I had an MDR in order, but canceled last fall.  The shop I ordered it from called last night because they had an extra one from a shipment they received.  But this close to the Tavor 7 launch, I didnít want to regret getting it.  I need the Tavor 7 to come out so I can decide which to buy!
boscoman

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 05:04:34 PM »

Quantico Tactical in VA. They had pre order for Military, LE, & Public Safety.
Last summer was the X95 & a Jericho 941 in 9mm. Who knows, maybe next year TS12.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 12:21:55 AM by boscoman » Logged

adoloris

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 12:39:00 PM »

Leupold VX6 1-6 on Bobro mount, and FLC M80 preloaded in Magpul mags awaiting arrival of preordered Tavor 7 for immediate home range testing. Sling and light to be added later.

"Love never fails!"
boscoman

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 04:26:55 PM »

Just found a reply on the Tavor 7 owners page on FaceBook (March 2) from Jeremy Gresham who is director of sales for IWI on when to expect the 7. His reply was the end of April.  Angry
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:28:38 PM by boscoman » Logged

adoloris

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 06:13:44 PM »

I have a VTAC sling and PWS/FSC30 muzzle device ( from the sold AR 10 ) that I will try on the Tavor 7. I'll start looking for an M-Lok mount for a light.

"Love never fails!"
adoloris

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 08:01:27 PM »

What's missing in this picture? Hint: It's named after a mountain in Israel.

* IMG_0065.jpg (60.98 KB, 640x480 - viewed 96 times.)

"Love never fails!"
boscoman

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 02:22:58 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/IWIUS/photos/a.240365686093959.59088.238732556257272/1254784134652104/?type=3

Looking for the time being as June. Not holding my breath.

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length