Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 18, 2018, 02:35:36 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  ammo problems with my new Tavor X-95
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ammo problems with my new Tavor X-95  (Read 1927 times)
Charly
New Posting Member

« on: February 09, 2018, 09:33:25 AM »

Hi,
I am new here AND new with a Tavor X95 in 223REM Smiley
I have also a Steyr AUG for more then 10 years already so I do have some knowledge of shooting a bullpup rifle.
I am looking for some help on solving, if possible, a problem I am facing with my Tavor.

I shot S&B and reloaded ammo whithout even one hickup.
But when I tried to shoot Russian Barnaul ammo (55 and 62 grns) every second round gets a 'fail to chamber' or 'fail to feed'. I do shoot this ammo out of my other 223REM rifles and never had a single failure (AR15, AUG and Galil).

Anything I can do to make the Tavor accept shooting these Russian rounds ?
Is there any trick I can try ? Or must I just accept the fact the Tavor will not shoot these ?
diescheize11

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 11:16:00 AM »

I usually shoot brass through my 6920 then I cheaped out one day and bought a few boxes of wolf. That rifle is usually dry of any lubricant and I was having the same issue as you so I sprayed some(more than enough) clp on the bolt carrier and didn't have a single malfunction the rest of the day.
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 02:00:49 PM »

Those Russian ammo are usually loaded so underpowered that they may not push bolt carrier far back enough to chamber the next round successfully. Brand new guns have it worse because of the new stuffier spring.
SteveD

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 09:28:18 PM »

It may need more lubrication, just a break in period, or try using a polymer magazine (the feed lips have less friction than any metal mags.
spacegunz

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 09:39:33 PM »

What mags are you using? If it's something other than a PMAG Gen 3, at least give the one that came with it a try to see if that fixes it. With that out of the way, I would try these next:

1. Cleaning the chamber / feed ramps / locking lugs
2. Clean off all the factory shipping grease, clean the BCG, and re-lubricate
cciman

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 10:56:15 PM »

I have never had good luck with any Russian brand steel cased 223 ammo in any 556 (piston or DI) that I have ever owned (PWS, CMMG, POF, Armalite, Adams Arms....etc).    No sympathy for you.

Wolf Brass works great in my Tavors. 

Just save the Russian steel crap for those other guns that can use it.   Be glad it is not wearing out your Tavor barrel, which will be more expensive to replace than the ARs.
SteadiShot

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 06:29:15 AM »

This:

1. Cleaning the chamber / feed ramps / locking lugs
2. Clean off all the factory shipping grease, clean the BCG, and re-lubricate

Charly
New Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 06:16:52 AM »

Thank you guys for the advises.

Last Saturday I was again at the range and I first shot about 150 rounds of reloads without any fails and then I tried also 15 rounds of the steel cased Barnaul and they went *bang* one after the other  without one single fail !
So I guess it was just because the rifle was real new and needed some brake-in.

BTW : this Tavor is realy lots of fun to shoot and I like the trigger pull as it is without removing the one spring from the trigger groupe as
is advertised in some vids on Youtube...
SteveD

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 01:49:28 PM »

When you want to shoot for groups, sighting in certain loads, trust me I was that guy once. Didn't mind the OEM trigger. I have a Geissele Trigger Pack now Smiley
Charly
New Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 06:03:41 AM »

I get what you say but when I shoot for group I take an other rifle (Tikka Tac3 in 308 or Blazer LR92 in 222)
The Tavor like the AUG, Galil or AR15 are more for target shooting in a larger sense  Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length