Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2018, 03:47:03 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  "The MDR delivers advanced firepower for the future patriot."
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: "The MDR delivers advanced firepower for the future patriot."  (Read 7682 times)
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: January 28, 2018, 06:08:25 PM »

(https://deserttech.com/mdr.php)

Enter: The 6.5 SOCOM ---

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=40&v=frA6anAX8wk)

In my view, the Desert Tech Micro Dynamic Rifle (MDR) and the polymer-cased 6.5mm SOCOM cartridge are made for each other.
Ditcher
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 06:16:38 PM »

How many 6.5mm cartridges do we need? lol  Why not build on something that is out there all ready? 
I hate to see how much this ammo will cost.  Guess it wont be a reloader cartridge either? 
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 07:10:58 PM »

(http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2009/10/15/innovation-in-the-american-firearms-industry/)

(http://innovationtrail.org/post/innovation-gun-industry)
spacegunz

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 07:37:01 PM »

In my view, the Desert Tech Micro Dynamic Rifle (MDR) and the polymer-cased 6.5mm SOCOM cartridge are made for each other.

Oh absolutely, they’re a match made in heaven: both the MDR and polycase ammo will probably see widespread adoption circa the year 2418.
coldboremiracle

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 08:00:56 PM »

Oh absolutely, they’re a match made in heaven: both the MDR and polycase ammo will probably see widespread adoption circa the year 2418.
Hahahahahahahahaha

The first shot, is worth all the rest.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT
racky
^

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 09:01:33 PM »

S-N-S, do you know what the cost is on these new rounds?Huh?, I remember a few decades ago some ammo company was making poly shell pistol rounds, but they never caught on, if these are more affordable,and dont have, side effects, they will be popular, but maybe an initial hesitation,......remember when glock first came out, ...time will tell,....in the mean time , It sure would be nice if somebody.....anybody......, ends up making a barrel/bolt/mag kit to fit either the Tavor7 or MDR,...in.....wait its coming....6.5 GRENDEL.!!!!! ....Don't get me wrong, the 6.5 Creedmore is a awesome round,...especially for a bolt gun,...but for a 16" carbine,...maybe a little over kill,....and the grendel would be even lighter  than 6.5 CM, with still spectacular B.C's, ...Of  Course I'm not telling you anything that you dont already know better than most of us.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 09:09:55 PM by racky » Logged
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 10:56:17 PM »

racky,

No word on cost, yet. Here's a recent article on the 6.5 SOCOM:
(http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2017/11/330/new-cartridge-6-5-socom/)
Potss
^

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 11:02:21 PM »

spacegunz spot on haha.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 11:52:26 PM »

"The MDR delivers advanced firepower for the future patriot"Huh??

Geeez, I hate cornball, marketing statements like that...no matter where they come from.  Stuff like that should be reserved for wannabe's and neckbeards.
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 07:49:56 AM »

They have had those poly rounds for years now. I’m not sure about the 6.5, but the 5.56 and 7.62 have been tested with mixed results.
Steelviper
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 10:35:06 AM »

Would like to see more info on the 6.5 Socom since it is designed around the AR10 platform curious how it compares to the other .26 calibers (Creed and Remington)
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 05:58:58 PM »

Would like to see more info on the 6.5 Socom since it is designed around the AR10 platform curious how it compares to the other .26 calibers (Creed and Remington)

(https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2017/04/18/special-operations-command-is-looking-at-a-new-6-5-mm-round-for-its-sniper-rifle/)

Steelviper, I think it's fair to state that the overall performance of the 6.5 SOCOM polymer-cased cartridge is similar to the 6.5mm Creedmoor and .260 Remington cartridges.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:00:31 PM by SHORT-N-SASSY » Logged
INV136
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 01:01:33 PM »

Interesting. I look forward to ballistics for this new 6.5 polymer round. I never had any interest in the MDR's ability to change out to other calibers. But, this new round has possibilities that might make an MDR caliber change kit something that I might actually want to look at. Depending on the ballistics (if they're better than the 7.62 Nato) and considering the lighter weight for carrying multiple 25 rd magazines and maybe drum magazines if they release them in this caliber.
Steelviper
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 04:57:02 PM »

Why not just use a polymer case 6.5 Creedmoor. Why build a entirely new cartridge how many 26 caliber .308 size round do we need (I mean .260 Rem and 6.5 Creed are already fighting for market share).

What next another polymer cased “22 Socom” to compete against the 22 Nosler and .224 Valkyrie. Or how about a polymer cased fat single stack .45- .50 cal to compete against the .458 Socom, .50 Beowulf, and .450 Bushmaster.

Why not just apply the tech to existing rounds?
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 08:52:09 PM »

S-N-S, do you know what the cost is on these new rounds? . . .

racky,

I've recently come across a FAQ Page on the PCP Ammunition website ---

(https://www.pcpammo.com/faq/)

And, re accuracy potential ---

(https://www.pcpammo.com/about-2/)

And, re the government choosing the 6.5mm for extended-range sniping situations: It's all about projectiles with high Ballistic Coefficient --- 6.5mm projectiles are born with it. It's like adding inches to your barrel length ---

(https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-5-creedmoor-effect-of-barrel-length-on-velocity-cutting-up-a-creedmoor/)

In view of all the above, I think a Desert Tech MDR chambered for the 6.5 SOCOM, with a 19" barrel (29.2" overall length), would be an excellent choice. Stay tuned. The future is now!

Sdevante
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 10:14:14 PM »

In view of all the above, I think a Desert Tech MDR chambered for the 6.5 SOCOM, with a 19" barrel (29.2" overall length), would be an excellent choice. Stay tuned. The future is now!

[/size][/font]

Considering they've shipped a whopping 5 rifles so far, your optimism, like your affinity for pictures rather than words, remains impressive.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 11:50:54 PM »

Sdevante:  There's really no need to get personally insulting.

As for the polymer cased ammo, one thing that they don't seem to discuss is the heat and how the case manages it.  In brass or steel cased ammo, the case helps retain heat and prevents all that was generated from being transferred to the chamber.  How does the polymer cased ammo handle this?  For a bolt gun, I don't see an issue, or even a semi-auto that will fire a handful of shots, but for something that will be firing a lot of rounds in a short time, I see heat being a potential issue.

Kurt
Steelviper
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 11:58:07 PM »

Sdevante:  There's really no need to get personally insulting.

As for the polymer cased ammo, one thing that they don't seem to discuss is the heat and how the case manages it.  In brass or steel cased ammo, the case helps retain heat and prevents all that was generated from being transferred to the chamber.  How does the polymer cased ammo handle this?  For a bolt gun, I don't see an issue, or even a semi-auto that will fire a handful of shots, but for something that will be firing a lot of rounds in a short time, I see heat being a potential issue.

Exactly- brass acts as a giant heat sink.
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 01:42:35 AM »

(https://www.pcpammo.com/faq/)
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 02:32:08 AM »

I just wonder why 6.5 SOCOM is brought up. If the polymer case is it's only selling point, it comes off as a far more niche item, especially if tests show no solid advantage over its contemporaries besides weight.

The MDR is better off getting past its current state to proper production and evaluation, and just working with either their own or ES Tactical's 6.5 CM kit. A 6.5 SOCOM kit will likely be far more niche due to the proprietary nature of the ammo, and I don't know how many people will justify SOCOM in lieu of CM's market.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 02:57:01 AM by Clarke-Sensei » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length