Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 16, 2018, 06:18:47 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  X95 Gunsmith troubles
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: X95 Gunsmith troubles  (Read 3677 times)
diescheize11

« on: January 28, 2018, 11:21:49 AM »

Hey guys, just picked up my new X95 a week ago. quickly shot a hundred rounds through it just to get a feel for it, Grouped good for me. I than ordered a slim buttpad and arranged for a local smith to pin the barrel.... never used this guy before. well i dropped the rifle off and we were talking at the counter for a bit and he starts trying to unlock the barrel. I was pretty sure there are prerequired steps before you go straight into it and i did pull out the manual while he was monkeying on it and told him to just follow the book... That shouldve been my sign right there to just walk out.

Well after a long 24 hours I got it back last night. To my relief nothing is outright broken and it was visually a good pin job.... BUT I did go back a check his work.

He said he only removed the hand guard and top rail section. and pistol grip. He spent a couple minutes trying to remove the barrel but it wouldnt budge for him so he viced the rifle and called it good. The gas tube and charging rod look good( couldnt get the best look at the gas tube tho).

The big things that concern me are the pic rail was removed from the side screws, not the top like the manual says to do(i had a small riser mounted over the screws so he missed them, plus didnt read the book). you can see where the 3mm allen key was stuck through above the charging handle slot... also you can see the screws are not straight with the charging handle slot( slot is plastic so maybe it is bent slightly). best case its bent slightly otherwise my first thought was the side allen screws that go through the dove tails mounted to the barrel(THAT THE BOOK WARNED ABOUT) arn't mounted back straight. I loosened them up to try to see if i could mount it straighter but its the same. Probly just top of charging rail slop is bent, which being on the right side doesnt interfere with charging the rifle. and its barely noticable. Later the book does detail taking them dovetail screws out anyways so maybe its not that big of deal...

Next I noticed the "Teflon sleeve" was missing under the handguard and barrel. Seriously doubt the factory would miss this, unless they omitted it on purposes, Ive read they have done this before on certain barrel components on this rifle(Some Grenade launcher dealy bob). not sure if this was the piece or not. just wanted to get some insight from the forum before i go and make that call.

Im most likely over paranoid and am gonna try to get out and test shoot it again to put my mind at ease, but with those dove tail screws Im worried It will be extremely off or groups worse... or worse yet the pin job was too deep or something...

I was even very much considerening sending it back to IWI to have them give it a once over.

OK so after all that rambling my 2 questions are....

1) I will test shoot this thing and it will likely shoot straight and not terribly off from where it was before it was smithed... I hope. Maybe after I confirm, I locktite each screw and never mess with it again?

2) That Teflon sleeve.... guess im just wondering if any of your rifles have been shipped without... and if not ill call him and have him look around and assume its his bad.

Sorry again for the rambling and Thanks for any input!

PS if Im being a b**** about this let me know!!! Im not used to babying rifles and this is a new one to me! Thanks guys
Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 11:53:04 AM »

HAve you tried opening your manual Huh? It shows exactly how and in what order to take down teh X-95 . It's really simple . It even is marked on the right side which way to turn the Barrel wrench to Close and Open the lock.  I would suggest you just read your manual and figure it out yourself. These are really simple guns to take apart. May as well learn so when you clean it you know how : GL
diescheize11

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »

Sure have and I stated that 2 or 3 times in my original post. That's what has me so worried... The fact that the Smith basically ignored the manual...

RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 12:08:39 PM »

Gunsmiths usually donít know what they are doing aside from what they were trained on.
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 12:12:18 PM »

Have a ďgunsmithĒ monkeyingbit would have voided the warranty, so if you need IWI to do anything it will probably cost you. You can get a torque screw driver and redo the screws yourself, 18-20 pounds usually are what optic related screws are set at.

Which Teflon sleeve is missing? The one at the front of the handguard
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:20:23 PM by RadScorpius » Logged
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 12:17:39 PM »

As for him unlocking the barrel before anything else, assuming he just went at it, the bolt carrier group has to be removed before that, the bolt locks in the barrel extension so of course it wonít budge. Thatís pretty unsafe to try and pull a barrel before dissembling the firing parts, you REALLY should have walked out then. I usually dissamble my guns myself before taking them to a gunsmith for work, I and hold on to those parts, when I pick up the gun I put it together myself to verify they didnít f&&k it up, thatís how much I trust them.
diescheize11

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 12:23:07 PM »

I figured pinning the barrel would void the warranty. And the missing sleeve is the one at the rear of the handguard.

Yah buddy. Hindsight is a capitol B. Thankfully I don't believe there's any damage to the gas tube or the Opera rod due to Monkey in with the unlocking the barrel
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:25:57 PM by diescheize11 » Logged
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 01:00:18 PM »

That piece has been omitted for a while, you are good.
diescheize11

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 02:15:58 PM »

Excellent! Thank you...

Suppose I just need to get out and shoot it and see where I'm at.
cciman

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 02:51:57 PM »

Was he a Certified Glock Armorer?

Just kidding.  Why did you need to "pin the barrel"?

I personally find the X95 manual a little confusing to follow.
Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 04:09:47 PM »

Sure have and I stated that 2 or 3 times in my original post. That's what has me so worried... The fact that the Smith basically ignored the manual...

Excuse by bad way of typing what I mean. I guess I should have said had you read the manual yourself before taking it to someone ? And if so Why wouldn't you just bring him the barrel. Huh? Sorry I'm terrible at expressing things in type. Better face to face
Grizz

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 04:28:17 PM »

I find it rare to find a gunsmith willing to listen to anyone other than other gunsmiths when it comes to guns. And even then they are too proud to ask for help from anyone, including the manufacture.
Rastoff

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 05:15:21 PM »

The IWI manual for the X95 is one of the best manuals I've ever read for any piece of equipment. A so called gunsmith that won't look at the manual will not get any of my business.

The stock can be damaged if the barrel lock isn't operated correctly. Also, the cocking rod can be damaged if not removed prior to turning the barrel lock.

From your description, it sounds like he buggered your rifle. Got any pics for us to help determine if it's messed up or not?

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
diescheize11

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 05:31:11 PM »

What should I look for as for stock damage? Also what pics could I take? Op rod look fine and gas tube from what I see look fine...
diescheize11

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 08:07:53 PM »

* 20180128_175318.jpg (3435.21 KB, 2976x2976 - viewed 191 times.)
diescheize11

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 08:18:39 PM »

Sorry guys. Trying test the pic uploader on the site.

* 20180128_175413.jpg (3865.49 KB, 2976x2976 - viewed 149 times.)

* 20180128_175354.jpg (2230.64 KB, 2976x2976 - viewed 139 times.)

* 20180128_175331.jpg (2138.17 KB, 2976x2976 - viewed 155 times.)

* 20180128_174948.jpg (3454.79 KB, 2976x2976 - viewed 171 times.)
Rastoff

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 08:50:08 PM »

Maybe I didn't follow your original post, but when you mentioned something not being straight, I thought maybe a couple of screws could have been put in wrong. That doesn't seem to be the case. If you're concerned about the gap between the picatinny rail and the polymer frame not being even or parallel, take a look at this:

This is my X95. Looking at the points indicated by the arrows, you can see that mine looks almost identical to yours. Mine is this way from the factory and the picatinny rail has never been removed. It appears to have the same taper when comparing frame to rail. I don't think this is an issue.

The frame can be damaged if the barrel lock lock is not operated properly. Look at this pic:

In order to move the barrel lock, you have to push in on the dimple in the lever pictured here. It is spring loaded and not that easy to hold while the lock is being turned. If it is not held, the polymer can be scored as the barrel lock is rotated. The arrow indicates the place where it could be damaged. This damage would not affect function at all; purely cosmetic. Even so, I wouldn't be happy if a bumbling gunsmith marred my new gun.

Based on your pics and narrative, I think everything is fine.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
diescheize11

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 09:14:20 PM »

Thanks a million rastoff. And yes that gap above the charging handle is exactly what I was getting at.

As for damage due to barrel removal... I really couldn't find anything visible, but that's what pics and forums are for... And aside from pulling the barrel I can't really see much. Unless anyone else has other places I can check.

Also I'll give iwi a call and see what their thoughts/recommendations are. Like I was saying I'm def not shy about sending it back. Rather not but peace of mind and all.

I'll do some shooting tomorrow afternoon if there's no damage and after I talk to iwi.

* 20180128_190230.jpg (3179.43 KB, 2976x2976 - viewed 157 times.)

* 20180128_190221.jpg (3565.63 KB, 2976x2976 - viewed 157 times.)
diescheize11

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 08:45:29 PM »

Just an update, iwi says I'm good. Put another hundred through it and shoots and groups similar to pre gunsmith visit. Thanks for all the help guys. Looking forward to putting many more rounds through it this year.
becket

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 12:43:31 PM »

HAve you tried opening your manual Huh? It shows exactly how and in what order to take down teh X-95 . It's really simple . It even is marked on the right side which way to turn the Barrel wrench to Close and Open the lock.  I would suggest you just read your manual and figure it out yourself. These are really simple guns to take apart. May as well learn so when you clean it you know how : GL

Have you tried reading his post?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length