Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2018, 01:19:42 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  suppressor on SAR sucks
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: suppressor on SAR sucks  (Read 1826 times)
rockwind1

« on: January 11, 2018, 08:53:47 PM »

i put my silencerco specwar 556 suppressor on my sar,   it totally sucks to shoot now because of the gas that hits me in the face.  has anyone come up with a fix for this?

is there an adjustable gas block?

some one suggested tape over the rail,    has that worked for others?   thanks, kevin
SteveD

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:10:32 PM »

My can is in jail, but in anticipation I did a few things. I took off the top rail and used red RTV High Temp silicone gasket maker to seal up the edges. I also did it to the port cover made of that flimsy plastic ( I do not use the aftermarket covers). I also duct taped the parts that I sealed up, mostly cause I hated the ugly red even after I spray painted over it; it would just flake off. I think what I did is sufficient to stop a lot if not all of the gas.
SteveG75

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 03:48:29 PM »

1) GHW Flex port cover.
2) Remove top rail and use a little RTV to seal it. I used black RTV. Just remember to check zero after reassembly.
3) Stiffer recoil spring from Shooting Sight. Helps with bolt speed and delays bolt unlock just a hair to let pressure drop as well.

I use a Rugged Razor with 7.62 end cap to reduce back pressure. If I mag dump, I will get a little gas but normally not much of an issue.
konigstigerii

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 01:00:55 PM »

1) GHW Flex port cover.
2) Remove top rail and use a little RTV to seal it. I used black RTV. Just remember to check zero after reassembly.
3) Stiffer recoil spring from Shooting Sight. Helps with bolt speed and delays bolt unlock just a hair to let pressure drop as well.

I use a Rugged Razor with 7.62 end cap to reduce back pressure. If I mag dump, I will get a little gas but normally not much of an issue.

I did all three of these (though I just RTV the port cover) and it helps a lot. still over gassed but not as bad as an AR with gas to the face. Even better is to use a 30 cal can to reduce the backpressure.
rockwind1

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 04:32:08 PM »

i have a gearhead works cover.   as an experiment, i just now took the tavor into a dark bathroom and used my surefire scout to shine light into the open side and then looked at the port cover.   there is light coming out of all sides of it.    it appears to have not sealed at all.   i am not sure why as i watched a video or two on how to install and i am sure it is installed correctlly.    very sad.   
rockwind1

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 09:16:39 PM »

well, what a pain after spending 40 or 50 bucks on that gearhead works port cover.    it totally did not seal.   i took it off and put silicon around it.    also put silicon around first half of rail, then put gorilla tape on the other half.    also switched to using my 30 cal harvester suppressor.   anyway, works really good now.      i could have saved myself 50 bucks and used the stock cover.
SteveD

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 10:04:06 PM »

Glad it worked out; I would have bought any gasket cover from GearHead or Manticore but I didn't see what silicone and duct tape couldn't do that the metal ones did. Plus you might save some weight.
Jwill

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 04:27:49 AM »

I shot mine with a yhm .30 cal can and it wasn't bad at all.
SteveD

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 04:32:07 AM »

Just about any 30cal or bigger can is a huge improvement in backpressure. Makes me sad I bought a 556 can; stupid silencershop didn't have the Deadman Air K in stock but two weeks after I send my stuff out it was back...
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 05:21:01 PM »

Put a piece of tape over the back end of the optics rail.  Where the rear sight and the plastic receiver meet.  That is where you are getting gassed from.

There are several threads on this.  I think there are about 15 threads on this subject on this forum alone.  Those threads have the info you seek.

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length