Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2018, 11:05:37 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  scope deal and question
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: scope deal and question  (Read 1818 times)
semper paratus
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: January 07, 2018, 07:05:24 PM »

First - Steiner has their 1-4 24mm scope on sale for $469 - did not think that was a bad deal for a Steiner scope, picked up one to try on my 18 in SAR.

QUESTION:

any thoughts on what to put on the Tavor 7 when they come out?  On the low end I do not want to go above 1.5.  Was thinking of a 1x8 or a 1.5 to 8 / 10 --- IF even available

Thanks
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 12:48:53 AM »

To give any sort of an answer beyond a "This is what I want (and probably can't afford, so I think you should *REALLY* get it!" sort of thing, we need to know what your budget is and what you intend to use the rifle for.

I could suggest a Kahles K16i (which I am probably going to sell, NIB), and it would be ideal.  But it's also an $1800+ optic.  A Vortex Strike Eagle or Primary Arms 1-6 would do the job just as good if you didn't need the absolute clarity and durability that the Kahles offers.

That said, I think there are really three questions to consider once you have "budget" and "use" defined:

1.  What company will I *not* purchase?

2.  Do I want an illuminated reticle?

3.  What kind of reticle do I want?

For most of my guns, a Primary Arms 1-6 or 1-8 SFP is fine.  I'm not a door kicker, I don't even play one on Range Day; I just want an optic that is durable, has a good reticle that works for shooting out to ~3-400 yards, and is illuminated.  And isn't Leupold.

:-)

Kurt
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 05:57:58 AM »

What is wrong with Leupold? I always thought thought they are top quality optics. I have one on my Marlin model 60 for squrrel hunting and backyard plinking. Although I admit I will probably replace it with something that has a bit higher magnification. But that will be a pain though. Iím using the Burris POS align insert rings. Man, are they pain to set up!
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 12:05:50 PM »

What is wrong with Leupold? I always thought thought they are top quality optics. I have one on my Marlin model 60 for squrrel hunting and backyard plinking. Although I admit I will probably replace it with something that has a bit higher magnification. But that will be a pain though. Iím using the Burris POS align insert rings. Man, are they pain to set up!

Strictly speaking, nothing is wrong with Leupold, I just chose not to patronize their products.  At one time, I think they deserved their reputation, but I think that was several decades ago and is not the current state of affairs as there are other brands that are more durable, offer better reticles, and do it for a better price.

Kurt
semper paratus
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 12:09:30 PM »

I do not have any specific company on my NOT buy list.  I am not a fan of Bushnell - always thought they were kind of cheap scopes - but did last year pick a couple of them up on clearance and but them on my Berretta 40's and have been happy with them so far.  A few years back I read some bad reviews on leupold scopes and that's when I switched over to Burris. - it all comes down to quality of a specific model.  I had a Kahles 6x scope on my SSG P1 years ago - regret getting rid of that scope - but now have a Leupold mk4 6x on it and a 8x on my P2 ( those were purchased 20 yrs ago).  On my Tavor I have a Burris XTR 1-4, on my Rogue I have a Burris XTR 1.5-6.  Not that I love Burris but I was getting LE pricing on them, so did not set me back too bad.

Price range I usually try and stay around 6 to 800 for this type of weapon system.  I did order the Steiner mentioned above and will try it on my Tavor  and if I do not like it, I'll put them either on my Terry or Berretta carbines.  My rule of thumb, and probably not a good one, is what ever the price of the rifle is - TRY and spend half of that on a scope.  I'm hoping that the Tavor 7 will be priced out between 1800 and 2k for LE, so I will look at spending between 800 and 1k  and between an 8x to 10x scope.  I also do not want to go above 1.5x on the low end

Illumination - I can go either way - as I do not see myself getting into any low light scenarios anymore.  If the scope is offered both ways, I will usually spend the extra though and get it illuminated -

A lot of my older scopes are set up with Mil Dot but some sort of BDC is required.  I do not see myself shooting over 200 yds anymore and 95% of my shooting now is under 100.

bassybob
^

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 02:28:06 PM »

During a Christmas sale, I was able to purchase a Vortex Strike Eagle 1x8-24 with a Vortex mount for $269. Originally, I thought I would spend more on a scope for my MDR and I still may, but this deal was too good to pass up. Plus, I already have a SE 1x6-24 on a Steyr AUG.

I like these scopes. The glass is pretty good, not Kahles good, but pretty good. The price and lifetime warranty are excellent. There are better scopes, depending on your budget, but these are hard to beat.

When the Midwest deep freeze breaks, I will try it out.

-Bob
semper paratus
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 04:37:11 PM »

That's a great deal.  I have spent the day researching and although it is calibrated for 5.56 I am leaning towards the Burris 201012 scope at this time - 1.5-8x 28mm.  Requesting an LE price to see how much it will set me back for 2.  I am hoping that for shooting under 300 yrds the BDC will not matter that much.

Reasons:

I do like FFP , and a 34mm tube.  It is illuminated and under $850 - will see if LE pricing brings it down any more.  Any more input still appreciated
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 09:41:17 PM »

I do like FFP , and a 34mm tube.  It is illuminated and under $850 - will see if LE pricing brings it down any more.  Any more input still appreciated

IMO, FFP has a place, but I'm not convinced that place is on a short/medium (out to ~400 m/y or so) combat optic.  While it is nice to be able to range at every magnification, and really, that's the only reason for a FFP optic, in most cases with something that low of a magnification, are you going to crank it only part way or crank it all the way over and go to max or near max magnification?  In my tests, for me and based on how I am, the optic is either at 1x or 4/6/8x (whichever the highest magnification is), and rarely in between.

YMMV.

I like 34mm tubes, but I would prefer that it would be coupled with a larger, objective, even if it bells the objective somewhat.

Kurt
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 02:47:25 PM »

Just remember that the Steiner isnít a ďrealĒ Steiner. Those budget models arenít even close to the regular high end ones. I think they are made somewhere in Asia.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 08:31:49 PM »

Just remember that the Steiner isnít a ďrealĒ Steiner. Those budget models arenít even close to the regular high end ones. I think they are made somewhere in Asia.

Beretta owns both Steiner and Burris, and much of the lower cost offerings are very similar between the two.

Kurt
semper paratus
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 04:45:34 PM »

OK - that's news to me --- scope came in today and look good --- The box states "made in USA" --- I highly doubt that, maybe assembled here but as far as I know, no one in the US is grinding lenses.  last I HEARD, ONLY IN Japan, Germany and ? Switzerland were they still making glass.  I do not have a problem with any of those countries making my glass.

The Flyer that came with the scope states they are made in Germany -- That is what I thought when I made my order.

A budget scope -?- this scope MSRP was just under $700.  I would consider that mid range.  I think they are dumping  these - maybe last years model and the new one is a 1-5x24mm and list out at over $1500.

Final cost with a MI QD mount was $549.  We'll see how it hold up compared to my Burris XTR 1-4

UPDATE:  did some more research --- scope is made in the US -- all but the glass which is machined in Germany.  Should be a good scope - thanks for all the feed back
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:09:34 PM by semper paratus » Logged
Ferrum
New Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 06:19:52 PM »

I highly doubt that, maybe assembled here but as far as I know, no one in the US is grinding lenses.  last I HEARD, ONLY IN Japan, Germany and ? Switzerland were they still making glass.  I do not have a problem with any of those countries making my glass.

Patriotic Mode on: dont forget Austria!

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (4) mit Tapatalk

semper paratus
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 06:26:18 PM »

sorry
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length