Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 21, 2018, 01:15:40 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Bushmaster M17s
| | |-+  PN 30-440 - Ignition Pocket Retaining Clip (hammer post/pin retention clip)
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PN 30-440 - Ignition Pocket Retaining Clip (hammer post/pin retention clip)  (Read 1217 times)
DennisH

« on: January 06, 2018, 03:36:47 PM »

New toy! After bench cleaning, then my 1st range time revealed light strikes. Been emailing Ken the owner/CEO of K&M Aero at http://www.kmaerospace.com/M17s.shtml who was happy to give me some advice and steer me to this forum.

Was able to strip the gun this morning and the "A" shaped clip which holds the hammer onto the post (30-420 - Ignition Pocket) slipped off. I bought the "C" clips that hold onto the action rods from Ken [30-316 - Retainer - Action Rod (2 per gun)] but I don't see that they are available here on his site: http://www.kmaerospace.com/M17s/Articles-Instructions/M17s%20Parts%20List.pdf

Any body ever have this issue and was able to fix it?

* m17s clip.png (205.21 KB, 815x630 - viewed 53 times.)
srfnken
^

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 04:05:16 PM »

Is your clip missing?  I do have a clip but is not the exact same one.  It has worked in the past as a replacement.  It has been a while since I needed one and found the bag of them that I do have.  I guess I need to make sure they work and add them to the site.
DennisH

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 04:44:13 PM »

Hi Ken. I have the clip. Not sure if the post needs replacing or a new clip. I had an idea to use thin wire to tie the clip legs like we did in the military to tie down electronic equipment - but there is no room. So I reluctantly put a slight squeeze on the clip which put more tension on it - I hope. Do you know how the post is in there? Pressed &/or glued? Thinking a bolt would secure the hammer plate in there but then again I don't want to muck it up either! Over all the gun is in very good shape with minimum actual range time from what I see. This clip and the guide clips seem to be weaknesses in its design.

Plan on some range time next week with brass and steel cased. I'll post my results - or more quests for help!
DennisH

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 04:52:11 PM »

UPDATE: On my M17s' 2nd trip to the range yesterday, the "Ignition Pocket Retaining Clip (hammer post/pin retention clip)" came off the post after 2nd round. Waiting on new clip from Ken at K&M. Hopefully it will fix the issue by staying in place and holding the hammer plate in place.
DennisH

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 08:17:19 AM »

Received a different clip from Ken at K&M which is the one on the left in the photo. The clip on the right was in the gun when I got it which is a thicker diameter. The thinner clip also failed to hold the hammer mechanism in place at the range.

I do not understand why there are 2 different size clips for the same application?  Also not sure if the groove in the post is not deep enough either. Ken mentioned that the post is a permanent Bushmaster install. In my opinion the post and the clip is certainly a design fail.

The other photo is my attempt to hold the clip in place with "safety wire". If this attempt fails I have an idea to drill into the post and use a cotter pin.

* 20180114_093852.jpg (595.94 KB, 2560x1440 - viewed 36 times.)

* 20180114_095231.jpg (982.13 KB, 2560x1440 - viewed 42 times.)

* 20180120_150824.jpg (1014.93 KB, 2560x1440 - viewed 39 times.)
srfnken
^

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 08:33:31 AM »

Sorry it did not work for you.  This is the closest one I could find to the OEM one.  Bushmaster had a source or was having them made and I spent years looking for the same one without avail.  That is why I just sent it to you to see if it would work for you as it has worked for others that have lost theirs.  You are the first one I have known that is having this issue.  Normally they are on their so tight you cant get them off or the fire control group even out.  The only thing I can think of the previous owner damaged the post when removing it and it has not been the same ever since.  The post is molded into the plastic not installed after the fact.
DennisH

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 08:41:24 PM »

Range test was interesting. Shot about 50 rounds including Tulammo steel cased and not 1 malfunction. So the "safety wire" kept the clip in place to hold the hammer group in place. Questionable as to durability?

Did have several  2 & 3 shot bursts. One of 1st things I did before 1st range test, I did replace the sear spring with an AR15 spring since the 1 in place when I got the gun was too short or too weak to hold the hammer back on the bolt's cycle.

Don't mind to have a full auto by default without the price and paper work. :>)
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length