Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2018, 04:31:57 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  2018 update
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: 2018 update  (Read 16276 times)
reason

« on: January 05, 2018, 07:37:06 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/deserttechHQ/videos/1750911044939630/

“MDR shipping update January 5, 2018
Dear Valued Customers,

Our November 2017 update stated that our expectation was to ship a small batch or two of MDR’s prior to February and then move to high volume production in late February 2018.
Shortly after this update went out, we received news from our MIM supplier stating that they were able to speed up the schedule of the MDR side panels, allowing a sooner than expected ramp up. This information was not announced publicly but was released to our customers on the direct pre-order list and many of our dealers.

Most recently, a situation beyond the control of Desert Tech and our MIM supplier arose that postponed the time line of the December batch.The issue lies with the foreign government where our MIM supplier is located.  It has recently instated more stringent export regulations on firearms parts. The added scrutiny put a freeze on firearm parts being exported from the country, requiring our MIM supplier to jump through additional, unforeseen hoops of bureaucratic regulation to export firearm parts to the US. These new regulations were not unique to Desert Tech and affected many U.S. Firearms manufacturers.

Over the past few weeks, Desert Tech teamed up with our MIM supplier and several large U.S. firearms manufacturers to present a case to the foreign government, requesting relief from these added regulations. Thankfully, with the help of all involved, their government ruled in our favor, has released the parts and noted additional considerations will be made in future regulations.
These parts were scheduled to arrive in December. We now expect they will arrive by the end of next week (January 12th). 
         While we await the arrival of these parts, MDRs are being assembled and are only waiting on these parts for final testing. Once the parts arrive, they will be finished, installed and tested in the assembled MDR’s, then packed & shipped.

We are hopeful that our next shipments will begin in late January and that we will transition to high volume by the end of February.
Our internal goal is to have all MDR .308 Rifle preorders filled before the end of April 2018.

On another note.

I’m Super excited to inform you that our testing of the .223 MDR is on track and we remain hopeful to meet our current timeline. We will have fully functioning .223 MDR’s at Shot Show Range Day; along with a couple of surprises in our booth that will add even more excitement to the MDR. 

If you are going to Shot Show, stop by our booth (#31502). If not, stay up to date via Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and talk to your local Desert Tech Dealer for the latest MDR info.

Sincerely,
Carson Jenkins
Director of Marketing
Desert Tech LLC”
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 07:41:49 PM »

They outsourced MIM to a foreign country?!?
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:18:28 PM »

While I'm kind of indifferent to the matter of where they get their parts from, this is a bit of a far cry from the original idea that they produce all parts in-house, which would have negated any of these issues coming up in the past many months. When you want a job done right, you gotta do it yourself.
sampitt

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 08:35:05 PM »

They outsourced MIM to a foreign country?!?

"Hey Pakistan, this is your old buddy Mullah Nick.  sorry about cancelling your hti order but I was wondering if your shoe cobblers could get me these ejection panels busted out for me before s***show 2018.  Mmmmkay thanks and salam alaykom to you to."
sampitt

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 08:40:32 PM »

I want mine cnc'd and made here....I'll wait
EWTHeckman
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 08:41:09 PM »

Thanks for passing this along, reason!
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 08:42:35 PM »

I want mine cnc'd and made here....I'll wait
I'm betting that isn't an option
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 08:46:16 PM »

What the f&*k, DT?!  

I'm not even going to try and come up with an explanation for this...here's your shovel...dig your hole as deep as you want.

Kurt
Sdevante
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 08:57:05 PM »

Surprise surprise, more bulls***. Meanwhile, IWI will be shipping the Tavor 7 soon. Made in a foreign country, but a better one than DT is likely using LOL.
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 09:02:13 PM »

Are they kidding? I can understand outsourcing, but this is ridiculous on their part.
reason

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 09:04:54 PM »

One positive... look at all those receivers-parts...
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 09:10:05 PM »

While there are announced delays regarding the ejection panels being foreign made due to its recent delays, how much of the remainder of the rifle is also foreign made? I'm curious to know what percentage of the rifle is American made vs. made in foreign countries.
sampitt

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 09:26:25 PM »

While there are announced delays regarding the ejection panels being foreign made due to its recent delays, how much of the remainder of the rifle is also foreign made? I'm curious to know what percentage of the rifle is American made vs. made in foreign countries.
Yeah noooooo s***!
Potss
^

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 11:48:08 PM »

kfeltenberger we are finally on the same page.  FFS I wish they'd sell the design to someone competent enough not to f*** up such a rifle with so much potential.  Maybe Ruger the king of MIM (no really they do a great job), or someone with enough capital to throw around like S&W.  We all rag on Freedom Group and Bushmaster for f***ing things up so royally but honestly how much worse would they be than DTA is now?  Not that I hope the MDR ever end up in either of their clutches, but seriously this is insane it is 2018 already!
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 12:05:52 AM »

kfeltenberger we are finally on the same page.  FFS I wish they'd sell the design to someone competent enough not to f*** up such a rifle with so much potential.  Maybe Ruger the king of MIM (no really they do a great job), or someone with enough capital to throw around like S&W.  We all rag on Freedom Group and Bushmaster for f***ing things up so royally but honestly how much worse would they be than DTA is now?  Not that I hope the MDR ever end up in either of their clutches, but seriously this is insane it is 2018 already!

I agree.  Right now, I can't imagine why DT didn't utilize a domestic MIM partner, especially when Ruger's Arizona operation was so close. 

Is designing an bringing an all new design, especially one as complex as the MDR, to market easy?  No.  Not as an aggregate whole.  However, based on my own experience and those of people I know who have "been there and done that" when it comes to manufacturing, I am really beginning to wonder if DT has a competent *mass production* production consultant.  I was willing to accept glitches in August and then into early October.  But these issues...if it is truly a subcontractor/export issue, then I'd like to see some actual industry chatter about it.  Who are the other companies that were impacted? 

I'm a loyal dog, I think I've proven that over the past few years.  But right now, if anyone from DT is reading this, this dog is wondering if it isn't time to walk away.  The MDR is *the* rifle that will fit all of my needs, but in addition to the hardware (which with the consistent charging handle issues), I also have to have confidence in the company.  That confidence is wearing thin.

Finally, since I'm venting a bit on a cold Friday night...we were told we'd be "taken care of".  What and when? 

Kurt
JesseJames38

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 12:29:45 AM »

Well my hopes are quickly dwindling in the MDR,  Still have the pre order in with Euro optics.  But the  Tavor 7 is starting to look more and more appealing right now.  The excuses are all the same every time.  Its always "out of our control" and "issues with our MIM parts supplier"

I am thinking my biggest disappointment now is that these MIM suppliers are a out of the country supplier. And the biggest thing I was looking forward to was the rifle "Made in America" and in house.        They may as well take that sticker off there page and just replace it with a generic "Assembled in America"    If it even that.

At this point in time I am really considering picking up the Tavor 7.  The deciding factor for me right now is which one comes out first. And things are looking pretty Grim for the MDR. The more Desert Tech messes up they may as well kiss my money good bye.

Jesse.

reason

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 01:05:44 AM »

FFS I wish they'd sell the design to someone competent enough not to f*** up such a rifle with so much potential.

Yeah, I wish another company would come from nowhere with a better multical bullpup. I have very little respect for DT as a company after this whole ordeal.
Ditcher
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 02:25:18 AM »

I was wondering why it took them so long to ship out the few rifles they have after they said the parts were on the way.  Because they had to cross the ocean. lol
I'm also considering moving on. Hard call after waiting so loooong.
Dogslayer

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 02:44:23 AM »

There is only so many excuses in the whole world, Desert Tech has used 10 times their share.
People who still believe in DT are delusional, with all the CNC mills they allegedly have
they could have made hundreds of those things by now. Stay tuned for the next DT BS story...
"There is a sucker born every minute", PT Barnum....
patrick711
^

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 05:53:26 AM »

One probability could be, because DT didnt pay in a timely fashion, its in country parts suppliers refused to get screwed over again. Had to go outside of USA.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length