Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 08:25:05 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Feelin' pretty good
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Feelin' pretty good  (Read 2514 times)
Rastoff

« on: December 30, 2017, 08:59:45 PM »

I went to the range this morning to verify my zero. It was good so, I decided to do a little test.  This is the result:

Not an impressive group at first glance, but...

The blue square is 6"x6".  I was standing at 100 yards.  One shot at a time, starting from the high ready, 5 seconds per shot. This is part of the skills test at the Front Sight Firearms Training Institute. I actually got each shot off in under 3 seconds. The Front Sight target is roughly 2x larger than this. I normally drop to prone to take this shot. Now that I know I can nail it while standing, I have more time.

This was my first time trying this particular test with the X95. Yeah, this is good shooting for me. I love this gun.

My next test for myself is a controlled pair at 50 yards, standing, starting from the high ready, in 3 seconds.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 11:43:50 PM »

standing at 100...i'd be more than happy with that.
Practicool

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 10:01:50 PM »

I agree, good job on the grouping!

Since most Tavor owners here appreciate it for the battle rifle it is, and are concerned with "Minute-of-man" at 100yds and not MOA, you might like my favorite drill from training class:

We usually run this drill on a small steel silhouette target (7.5" x 12") from 3 firing positions at 100yds-75yds-50yds, and the drill goes like this:

Start at 100yds with 2 mags of 15, 1 in gun other in PC/chest rig/belt pouch.  Low ready.

At the buzzer, fire 5 in your choice of position (lots of ppl drop prone).  Safe up, high port.

Run to 75yd line, 5 shots kneeling.  Safe up, high port.

Run to 50 yd line, 5 shots standing, reload, 5 shots standing.  Safe up, high port.

Run back to 75yd line, 5 shots kneeling.  Safe up, high port.

Run back to 100yd line.  Last 5 shots to clear drill, dealer's choice for position.  Timer stops on last shot.

5 second penalty for each miss.

Those last 5 shots when your adrenaline is pumping are my personal challenge - can I calm my heartrate and breathing and make those shots from standing (rather than taking the extra time to drop prone, and lessening my mobility) and not miss.  If you don't have a range where you can run up-range in high port, you can ground/table the rifle if need be and do 8-10 push ups or burpees between sets.  It is a wake up call to most shooters the first time they try to get hits when their heart is racing 200bpm.  Smiley

Tavor-specific note: To me, the Tavor excels when sprinting in high port.  I have NEVER been called on muzzle discipline when running, and several classmates (running ARs / AKs) have been.  Not that they've flagged anyone, but if you've seen people are trying to run too fast with a longer gun in high ready, that thing can start to move!  But if you pull your Tavor into your body, you can sprint and it stays put!  Just another thing that makes me very pleased about the Tavor.
limamike55

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 04:40:39 PM »

This is good shooting in anybody's book. Very well done.
Rastoff

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 01:49:20 AM »

Thanks gents!

Practicool,
Would you please explain your positions for me? We all use different terminology even though we often mean the same thing. You used "high port" and "low ready" to describe starting positions. I'm not familiar with exactly those terms. Here's what I've been taught:

Ready position: (Toe of the stock in your shoulder, rifle down at about 45, ready to pop up at a moment's notice)

High Ready position: (Heel of stock tucked under your arm, muzzle up about 30)

I also use what's been called the "field ready" position. This is with the rifle held muzzle down about 45, but in a relaxed position down near your waist.

Your terminology may indicate one of the positions I showed above, but I'm just not familiar with it.

Freedom isn't free.
limamike55

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 07:20:03 PM »

What optic are you using?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:22:44 PM by limamike55 » Logged
Rastoff

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 10:12:31 PM »

What optic are you using?
ACOG: TA33R-8

I find the 3x to be plenty for me out to 200 and yet not too much when closer like 25 or 7 yards.

Freedom isn't free.
Practicool

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 06:27:56 PM »

Thanks gents!

Practicool,
Would you please explain your positions for me? We all use different terminology even though we often mean the same thing. You used "high port" and "low ready" to describe starting positions. I'm not familiar with exactly those terms. Here's what I've been taught:

Your terminology may indicate one of the positions I showed above, but I'm just not familiar with it.

I'm going to see if I can attach some pictures of the high port position.  1 AR guy running and 2 of the Tavor.

It's like night and day when you see the compact Tavor and how easy it is to maneuver with it based on how far the barrel does or doesn't stick out past your body.

* highport1.jpg (387.31 KB, 987x1091 - viewed 123 times.)

* highport2.jpg (735.2 KB, 2048x1365 - viewed 128 times.)

* highport3.jpg (585.6 KB, 2048x1365 - viewed 136 times.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 06:32:43 PM by Practicool » Logged
Rastoff

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 12:57:12 PM »

Thanks for the pictures. I don't know that I've ever used that before. I will put it into the regimen.

Freedom isn't free.
Practicool

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 04:12:41 PM »

Thanks for the pictures. I don't know that I've ever used that before. I will put it into the regimen.

You are more than welcome.  The low ready I am used to using is pointing just 1' in front of me, so if I rotate I make a 3' circle on the ground.

I think those MSM pictures of high/low ready are good and often used for static drills when you are facing a single berm and not moving.  They make for fast times off the buzzer.

But, most classes that involve any IMT, turning/pivoting, and dynamic movement wouldn't even think of letting you actually move in either of those positions because you'd flag everyone on the range near you.  I've been fortunate to train with some very responsible groups, and think that if I attended classes anywhere that made me feel unsafe, I'd just walk off and leave the money behind.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length