Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2018, 01:26:18 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  .224 valkyrie hype or next ballistic phenom?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: .224 valkyrie hype or next ballistic phenom?  (Read 4561 times)
tavor hollow

« on: December 24, 2017, 07:43:48 PM »

I'm probably missing it but there seems to be so little after market support. I understand the bullpup market is so tiny compared to the ar market, but then when iwi manufacturers drop models in a whim compared to the customers expectations of a long lived product base. I can see why part suppliers and innovators would not want to invest time and money in a failed item. That said we need a. 224 Valkyrie conversion in 5r. That's my Christmas wish.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 01:27:13 AM »

The Valkyrie does look promising, and especially due to the involvement of Federal.  I reload, and the ballistics don't look like hype.  I think it will eclipse the 22 Nosler which IMO is too small an improvement over .223 to make it worthwhile.

Still, calibers like this rarely make the jump into the bullpup arena.  Heck, even something like 6.5 Creedmoor will not be common across the bullpup line.  This is that advantage of the AR platform that is hard to argue.  Jumps to different calibers in the AR15 and AR10 platforms are relatively easy and cheap and with little fuss.
SteveD

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 04:33:48 AM »

It would be good in a precision platform. Otherwise I don't see the point. If I'm never shooting past 200 yards than no need to think I'm the next American Sniper. DMR? I'd take it. SHTF rifle? I'd take it in that caliber. It's nice and light. I would prefer it over 308 maybe. Like a scout rifle or lightweight AR in this caliber
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 12:32:15 PM »

It would be good in a precision platform. Otherwise I don't see the point. If I'm never shooting past 200 yards than no need to think I'm the next American Sniper. DMR? I'd take it. SHTF rifle? I'd take it in that caliber. It's nice and light. I would prefer it over 308 maybe. Like a scout rifle or lightweight AR in this caliber

It's true that there's no one weapon/caliber that fits all applications.  However, a .224 caliber that has a heavier bullet traveling at the same speed as a lighter bullet delivers more energy on target no matter the distance.
SteveD

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »

Forgot the mention because of price and availability. Abundant 223/556 if shtf and currently, for cheap as $0.20/rnd. Not the case for 224 Valk.
tavor hollow

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 06:23:40 PM »

From what I was watching federal American eagle was supposed to sell for about .20 cents a round. Match about a dollar.
SteveD

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 07:10:25 PM »

At the moment it's around 50 cents a round. Until then, I doubt it's 20cents ever. Maybe for reloading the bullet itself is 20, but not the whole round
Rastoff

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 01:21:45 PM »

Never heard of it. Why should I care?

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
SteveD

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 02:48:27 PM »

The round can remain supersonic out to 1300 yards with a 90gr bullet in 224 diameter. But in a cqb platform I don't see the benefit as 223/556 still does well out to 300 yards. It's a round for bench shooters and precision rifles to gawk at but not the tavor, honestly.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »

Nothing suggests you should.  Just about all guns, calibers, and their surrounding components ought to be based on shooter application, preference, and even economics in some cases.  For example lots of folks absolutely love 1911 design based pistols.  I care nothing about them personally, but there's no question that many use them to full advantage in many scenarios.  This is what I love about guns in general at this moment in time...at least in the non-communist states.  We have some outstanding options that can boggle the mind.

Steve, I agree that the Valkyrie might not turn out to be a direct replacement/contender for the .223/5.56 in all platforms, but it may be a little early to see how it shakes out.  There's not a lot of debate that its longer range capability should exceed the .223.  Ripping 90-100g bullets along at the speed present in this cartridge should be impressive.  I'm still curious that it might also translate to better performance in the shorter barrel applications but only time will truly tell.
SteveD

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 04:50:43 PM »

I am actually interested in the round, a lot. If it drops down to 223 price range, with the same availability as 556, I would hop on it. But that won't happen unless the military adopts it, honestly haha. But then it might be so expensive because they have to contract the ammo to the military and us civilians don't get anything. I will say this round looks promising and I expect it to last, unlike just about every other single caliber in 224 like 243, 22 nosler, ect.
Beach Bill

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 09:36:49 PM »

The 224 Valkyrie shows promise as a new long-range precision shooting round. Personally, I am not interested in seeing IWI offer a caliber conversion for the 224 for the Tavor or X-95. Neither of those platforms are built to take advantage of the 224's long-range precision capabilities. I also cannot see a reason to adopt the 224 as a CQB round in the Tavor since the 77gr 5.56 is  more than adequate in that role.

Don't get me wrong -- I am not down on the 224 Valkyrie as a future cartridge -- I just do not think it is something we need right now for the Tavor/X-95.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 09:47:26 PM »

I'd rather have a 243

6mm projectiles are the magic spot, and most 6mm calibers are available at walmart and cheap to buy.

If this new round is popular that would be cool, but I'm not trying to pay a dollar a pop.

ETA:  I do have a 243 in a bolt action.  It is AMAZING, I would love to have a Tavor or AR chambered in 243, and would rather have that than the 224 valk.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 09:50:19 PM by RabbitSlayer » Logged

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
tavor hollow

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 07:41:36 PM »

There would be a couple of complications. I think a different bolt,  I think the inconvenience of 6.5 Grendel or is it 6.8 magazines. Then the barrel. I just think it would be great to be able to reach out that far with low recoil. One of the reviews I saw a federal Rep was saying they would get target/ practice ammo for .20 a round,  but who knows. Till then still excited for the tavor 7?
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 03:12:23 AM »

I'd rather have a 243

6mm projectiles are the magic spot, and most 6mm calibers are available at walmart and cheap to buy.

If this new round is popular that would be cool, but I'm not trying to pay a dollar a pop.

ETA:  I do have a 243 in a bolt action.  It is AMAZING, I would love to have a Tavor or AR chambered in 243, and would rather have that than the 224 valk.

Interesting you mention a .243.  When I bought my Armalite AR10 .308 in a 20" barrel a few years ago, they were also blowing out the .243 AR10.  Having been a .243 bolt rifle fan before that, I opted for one with a 20" barrel. 

For some reason it didn't push my buttons like I thought it would, and I ended up rebarreling it with a 16" .308 carbine barrel that I shoot suppressed.

Now, as far as the .243 caliber goes, you're absolutely right.  Earlier this year I built up a precision chassis bolt rifle using a Ruger American Predator action.  It shoots lights out with quality off-the-shelf ammo and my match bullet reloads.  It is a good caliber, and John Whidden won the NRA long range championship for 2016 with that caliber while everyone else was using 6CM and 6.5CM

I have a Savage chassis rifle in 6.5CM that I built, and I actually see where it was a slight improvement over 260REM because of the better bullet bearing surface/location of the Creedmoor to better accommodate some of these super long match and hunting bullets we have now.

The 6mm Creedmoor may be a little more "faddish" as the .243 doesn't have an issue accommodating these longer, modern, precision bullets.

The relative explosion of some of these newer cartridges is pretty darned impressive, because most of them really are performance improvements.  What a time to be a gun nut...LOL!   
racky
^

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 03:38:00 AM »

224 valkyrie, interesting new cartridge, impressive specs--however, after reading alot of blogs about it, many folks are saying to give it a year to SEE what "REAL-World" specs are,...ie, no commercial hype, ....but I would rather see a 6mm,  or 6.5mm Grendel for the tavor,......mass x speed =Power,.....Also I thought I read in the press release of the Tavor 7, that it will be a Free-Floating Barrel, If thats true, Maybe IWI, will be able to offer a free-floating replacement kit for the Tavor/X 95,....in 6mm or 6.5mm,......UMM HUH.....in maybe 20 years
SteveD

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 03:24:07 PM »

If 224 becomes a NATO round with the prices we seein at 556 (maybe a little more is ok), I'd do the switch if possible  Smiley No reason not to.
boscoman

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2017, 07:43:39 PM »

There would be a couple of complications. I think a different bolt,  I think the inconvenience of 6.5 Grendel or is it 6.8 magazines. Then the barrel. I just think it would be great to be able to reach out that far with low recoil. One of the reviews I saw a federal Rep was saying they would get target/ practice ammo for .20 a round,  but who knows. Till then still excited for the tavor 7?

Still excited & waiting patiently for the Tavor 7.Please just don't make us wait forever for it. I'll take 7.62 over most other rounds. I have a number of rifles that take it & a good supply of it.
 I find that most of these other rounds are just fine, for bolt action precision rifles.

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it
tavor hollow

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 10:20:40 AM »

I saw savage was advertising an ar15 in .224 Valkyrie msrp 1499. The promo I was looking at had federal Rep saying they would be selling target ammo at $.22 a round.
SteveD

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 10:54:26 AM »

I don't see how it can be 22 cents, almost ever, when they're selling their lowest budget round at 50 cents/rnd atm. When you can get all of those advantages of high BC, low recoil, lightweight, and transonic capabilities of 300WinMag, I can't see it going cheaper than 30-35 cents a round.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length