Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2018, 01:37:05 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  K&M Arms M17S 5.56 and .308
| | |-+  Any new thoughts or reviews on the 308 version?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Any new thoughts or reviews on the 308 version?  (Read 3679 times)
Old Leg
^

« on: December 18, 2017, 10:17:24 AM »

I've finally received my refund from my MDR preorder and am considering options for a 308 bullpup purchase. I'm interested in additional info that  any owners might be able to provide. How have your M17S's held up so far in regards to reliability? The few accuracy posts I've seen so far seem to indicate about 2MOA with ball and approx. 1MOA with match quality ammo. Does this match your experiences so far? Have any of you had a chance to play with it in a fairly dirty environment(shooting prone in the field without a mat for example)? If so, did it remain reliable?

I really like the simplicity of the design and the easy break down. I'd prefer a more ambidextrous design, but the options for that are very limited and it increase the complexity considerably.

Thank you in advance to any owners who can give some of their long term views on this subject.
Old Leg
^

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 01:47:07 PM »

Wow! The sound of crickets is deafening here! I hope that after the holidays, some of you owners will chime in with your long term views and experiences with your M17s 308's.
Until then, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
tmckay2

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 11:06:22 PM »

I just bought one. Received the upper. Lower will be at FFL Tuesday. Obviously no experience firing but I will say it's very well made. The upper is also extremely simplistic and robust in its design. I have a hard time believing you could easily damage the bolt or bcg. I've heard the trigger is great otherwise there really isn't much to the lower which is a good thing.

I had a bit of a hard time pulling the trigger (pun intended) on a 308 bullpup due to a myriad of factors. Most are expensive ($2000+) or have major reliability issues (rfb). I built several 308 ars and granted you can do it pretty cheap and still have a pretty solid rifle but in 308 the size and weight (or rather weight distribution) become a bit of a burden. I feel the m17s308 is a reasonable compromise. I was hesitant due to the small company nature meaning it could easily become impossible to find parts or support if something happened, but after looking closely at the design I feel the somewhat universal parts along with a simple and robust design made it less of a concern. Also no offense to plastic firearms as they can be great but having an all aluminum design is kind of nice especially in a bullpup 308 where the chamber is so close to the face.

When I fire it I can let you know how it goes but with it being winter it may be a while.
Old Leg
^

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 08:45:43 AM »

Thanks tmckay2. Looking forward to hearing your experiences with your rifle. I went ahead and ordered the 16in 308 version about a week ago. How long did it take for you to receive yours?
I owned an RFB for about 1 year, but could never get it to feed reliably. I also own a Tavor. I like the ergonomics and it's not a tack driver, but it's military accurate. It really is a pain to break down for any reason though.
I think I'll really enjoy the simple disassembly of the M17s.
Happy holidays and please post more when you have any news to report.
Dogslayer

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 09:31:12 PM »

I bought one when they first came out. It is quite accurate with my handloads. The only commercial
ammo I have shot through it was a couple boxes of Federal GMM. I am a machinist and like the
look of it, looks right out of the  shop. The billet lower reciever is bad ass.   It has an adjustable gas system, I had to move it one click to get it to shoot my handloads well. The trigger is superb for a bullpup. Just bought an Atibal XP 8 scope for it. Going out to the range this week to dial in the scope.
You can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone shooting an AR10, I like my bullpup 308...
Hope you enjoy yours.
Dogslayer
Old Leg
^

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 10:39:30 PM »

Hi Dogslayer, I would have posted a reply sooner, but I've had some internet issues at my house. Thank you for the info on your rifle. I am looking forward to shooting mine when I receive it. I'v discovered that bullpups fit me better than traditional designs(even AR's though they're not too bad). If the M17s proves to be reliable and decently accurate, I'm sure I'll be very happy with it. On a good day, I'm about a 1moa shooter, so I'm not expecting a sniper rifle and couldn't live up to it's potential if it was. I haven't reloaded for several years, but I've dusted off my equipment and intend to start working up some loads for experimenting. It'll probably be a few more months before I receive mine, but I'll post some results when I have any. 
Dogslayer

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 06:50:01 PM »

The load that I am using is 41.5 grains of Varget under a Hornady 155 grain Match BTHP.
Using a CCI #200 primer, 2.795 OAL. That is a fairly mild load according to my Hornady reloading
manual. I used a Nikon Buckmasters 6-18 x 40 scope to shoot the groups, not exactly a
high dollar optic. For most of my rifles I try to find an accuracy node well below maximum pressure,
the barrel and brass last longer if you do. I currently have an Atibal1-8x scope on it. The rifle is reliable as a belt buckle, very happy with the setup.

Dogslayer
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length