Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2018, 12:08:09 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Accidental bumpfire
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Accidental bumpfire  (Read 1671 times)
Forlorn Hope
New Posting Member

« on: December 12, 2017, 05:15:59 AM »

I recently acquired a basically brand new tavor sar. When I shot it the other day it seemed to have rapidly bump fired 2-3 rounds after firing a few in the magazine normally. As far as I can tell the thing has the stock trigger at about 12 lbs of pull. I never had a rifle do this before, and have shot enough to have proper follow through on trigger pull.  I wanted to see if this was a common occurence with this design, or if it might be something else like a slam fire.
Leonitus

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 08:07:37 AM »

I don’t think that bump firing the Tavor was even possible. The hammer is reset long before the bold travels far enough to remove another cartridge from the magazine. I would suggest field stripping and looking at the firing pin spring. Trigger may need cleaned as well.

Just a few thoughts, really have not heard of this before. I suspect that you simply had the “perfect storm” allowing for a bumpfire event.
cciman

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 10:22:13 AM »

Is this factory ammo, or bubba loads?

I agree with advice in previous post.
Leonitus

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 08:30:14 AM »

Any updates with this issue?
Forlorn Hope
New Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 11:40:37 AM »

The issue was with factory ammunition. I have not had an opportunity to shoot it again to see if it will do it again. I field stripped it, and the firingpin/spring appear to be clean enough. I will get to shoot it later today with different ammo, and will see what happens.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 07:24:49 AM »

Did you remove the firing pin spring, or install it incorrectly.  It has one to prevent this from happening.

It's possible you bumpfired it if you had a stiff shoulder and loose trigger hand.  I've never done that with a tavor, and it's only happened maybe once to me with an AR maybe every 50,000 rounds or so.

I think it's more likely something wrong with your gun, or you had some out of spec ammo.
I've bought federal ammo that was so deformed from the factory so bad it would have caused catastrophic malfunctions.

You aren't going to get anything besides speculation from this thread unless you are able to tell us ALL the factors regarding the event.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 07:28:31 AM by RabbitSlayer » Logged

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length