Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2018, 04:01:15 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  What WML/Laser are you running on your AUG?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What WML/Laser are you running on your AUG?  (Read 1858 times)
fadaldude

« on: December 11, 2017, 07:55:12 PM »

Looking to set up the wife's LH AUG M1 with a WML/Laser and was wondering if any lefties out there had a good set up.  Right now it has an Insight M3 on it just to have a light. 

Any options for mounting the switch other than the foregrip? 
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 12:15:26 PM »

Here's my setup, which is the best I've worked out to date:

TLR1-HL - because it's a damned decent light.
Can't stand the fore grip switch location as:
1.  I don't alway use the foregrip, and instead I cradle the bottom of the stock and forward section of the hand guard, sort of/kind of like Tavor 'N points of contact.'  This puts the tape switch in perfect location to use as a momentary light, i.e. flash and move, etc.  Can also reach with trigger finger if need be although wouldn't generally want to.
2.  If I were to 'need' the rifle NOW, and I did grab the fore grip chances of activating the light unintentionally under stress > 0.

An A3 rail or maybe an M1 w/red dot and no BUIS might be able to get away with running the light on the top rail, which would be slightly better positioning but not much real-world difference.  There's really no or little barrel shadow running the bright HL, and the only time I've been sad w/it was during an obnoxious and intentional very tight 9 hole training drill with tiny holes so basically had to flash and retain the image to shift slightly and shoot, while someone with a Tavor with it's height over bore couldn't actually get optic visual and barrel through the hole and wound up putting a few holes through the plywood. Wink

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:54:54 PM by rtp » Logged
lockon

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 06:29:38 AM »

On my A3 I have a TLR-1HL mounted at the 12 O’clock position in front of my TR24G. It keeps things very narrow. The pressure switch is located on either the fore grip or similar to rtp’s. I use the softer side of the Velcro on both those locations and the hook part being the pressure switch. It’s been used in a few multihun night shoots and low light classes.

On my M1 with integrated optics I use similar mounting but have a TLR-1HP on the side rail. An added benefit I found is that location combined with this light in specific takes advantage of the extremely tight beam. The light is located very close to the barrel and there is very little offset from the beam hot spot to the image through the optic. Meaning on 25 yard plus distances what you see through the optic is what is illuminated by the focused hot spot.

I will try an HPL version of that light on the near future.
INV136
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 12:26:00 PM »

I simply mounted my Streamlight TLR2 HLG green laser setup on the side rail of my Steyr Aug A3. It's simple, no wires or crappy pressure switch pad to wear out (I always had a problem with the pressure switch glue wearing off and the attached pad falling off after a short period of time. I used to use nothing but Surefire lights and lasers. But, this new Streamlight TLR2 HLG outputs 800 lumens and has a green laser unit built in for about $300 (I bought mine brand new for $275) and is actually just as good as any Surefire unit I've owned. The Streamlight hand held flashlights on the other hand are not as good. My EDC flash light is an Elektrolumens EDC model with 1,000 lumen led powered by a rechargeable 18650 lithium battery. It beats any Surefire or Streamlight hand held pocket flashlight.
xdmikey

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 11:37:10 AM »

INV316, what is your laser good to distance-wise? Day/night.

I bought a CT for my A3. Mounted it yesterday and went outside. Actually my garage. My daughter's BF guessed it to be good to just under 100 yds. I was pissed. Last night the sammichmaker took the monkeys to get their nails done so I was home alone when it was dark! 

Out the door I go: AUG and 1911 in hand. Both CTs(a3 green, 1911 red) hit probably 200 yds. Then I scrambled my a$$ inside and stashed them in case some nervous homeowner called the sheriff. Where I live folks think you're an outlaw for owning an 1100 Remington.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length