Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2018, 05:20:01 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  MDR kitting out
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: MDR kitting out  (Read 31613 times)
whiskey91lima

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 07:17:26 PM »

Did anyone get the RDS from Desert Tech with their MDR? Any info on the quality of the optic? Does it ship with the gun?
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 04:35:46 PM »

Minor progress - some stuff made it today.  Still waiting on optic, optic mount, light and 3 slot pic rail.
OP still remains at 1-8 days on the DMRii - looks like the non-illuminated were in stock, waiting on Bushnell for the illuminated.  Meh.
Have ammo finally at least, and a way to mount the bipod, so worst case becomes a borrowed optic if Bushnell and/or OP doesn't ship my optic soon.
Glorfindel

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 04:05:58 PM »

Still no gun to wear it, but I have all the outfits and jewelry collected now that my Leupold finally came.

Optics - VX-6HD 3-18x44 with Bobro mount (Planning to add Shield CQS with offset mount on the gas block picatinny)

Suppressor - OSS Gen IV. Already have suppressor handguard.

Sling - VTAC 2-point padded

Bipod - Atlas V8 with QD MLOK mount - I don't expect this will be mounted 100% of the time, hence the QD.

Weapon light -  LaserMax Manta Ray; not sure if this is going to work well with the outsize handguard.

Magazines - Lancer 20 rounders and a couple of 25ers.

The products of three years of anticipation and planning for this rifle to arrive. Thankfully, everything but the handguard is transferrable to a POF Revolution if I end up throwing in the towel or the rifle is not everything I hoped and dreamed of.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 07:15:16 PM »

Suppressor - OSS Gen IV. Already have suppressor handguard.

I'm sure we ALL want to know the results on that combo! Smiley

Looks like possible snow Friday but still planning on making it shooting either Sat or Sunday at this point.
Glorfindel

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 08:22:13 PM »

No idea how it'll run with the gun, of course, but I've confirmed that the gen IV fits just fine under the oversize handguard if that's what you mean.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 09:49:50 PM »

No idea how it'll run with the gun, of course, but I've confirmed that the gen IV fits just fine under the oversize handguard if that's what you mean.

Overall performance of the OSS plus on the MDR as there aren't many of either out there.
Mr. Business
^

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 03:01:47 PM »

I have the same. I used the supplied short M-Lok screws to mount a sling mount (to be a Harris bipod base) and a 3 o-clock rail section for an Inforce weapon light. The suppressor has maybe 2mm clearance left and when mounted on the barrel might actually hit the little M-Lok tabs. I can always dremel down the tabs I guess. Also have 8 20rd .308 Pmags and a Primary Arms 1-8x Platinum waiting for my MDR.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 07:26:22 PM »

So USPS temporarily 'lost' the optic mount, sitting at USPS since Dec 2nd, then just 'delayed' until I filed a complaint, then it showed up magically yesterday.

Optics Planet - ordered 'in stock' Nov 26th.  Eventually my order email updates to 1-8 days.  2x 8 days later, my online order still shows 'waiting on item.'  Calling them said 'maybe end of Jan.'  Awesome.  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Meanwhile, I got a decent deal on some bulk 147gr bulk M80 PMC ball ammo for blasting rounds. 

Have  bunch of family stuff coming up so my window to go shoot is pretty much this weekend, which will have to be with a borrowed lower-powered optic. 
This is frustrating.
kyle@eurooptic

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 03:04:03 PM »

I dont know what scope exactly you are looking for, but if you want to get a DMR2 with the H59 reticle, I have them in stock and would ship it out to you today if we can place an order in the next couple hours. Also feel free to call and ask for Kyle. I will see what I can do for you on price you can reach me at 570-368-3920.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 03:27:36 PM by kyle@eurooptic » Logged
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 07:12:45 PM »

Sadly, too much cash floating around out there at the moment waiting on stuff to arrive.
It's a DMR2 G3 illuminated, although I just recently found out the illuminated reticle version has a thicker reticle, so now digging out info on that. :-/
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2017, 11:39:15 PM »

Amusingly, today I got a tracking # for my optic, which was supposed to show up 'maybe late Jan.'  Looks like they expedited into 2 day shipping, which is nice, all things considered.  However, this weekend is when I have to shoot. 

So options were a friend's 3-9x or sacrificing my bolt gun's zero and using my ERS.
Crap phone pic showing which way that went.

A few things discovered. 
With rings, the ERS is a tight fit vs the rail as you can see in the pic.  In an ideal world, it would be forward another ~2" give or take, but can't do it.
I have no intent on keeping those rings on but didn't want to swap the optic into another mount as well - I have an Aero lightweight 1.5" centerline one pice mount I'll use when the DMR2 shows up, but now I've finally got an optic on it, I can say AR height is right.  The badger rings are 1.26" and are too low for my cheek weld.  Not terrible, usable, but far from spot on when you close your eyes, shoulder the rifle and then open them.  I expect 1.5" to be pretty close to 'right,' and at least with an optic of similar length (13"  w/out sunshade) and length behind the turrets, at least a mild cantilever mount will be the ticket. 

3 slot m-lok added and loc-tited up front for the Atlas.  The Atlas is 'backwards' from how I normally mount it on the bolt gun with the QD lever forward so I can still hold the rifle with the bipod mounted and slide my support hand forward without getting poked by the QD lever. 

Still dicking around on sling attach points/locations.  My AUG is near perfect w/convertible sling and GHW takedown replacement in single point mode, and the Manticore optic mount as the forward sling point due the the AUG's balance.  Will work itself out when I get some blasting time and drills in.

I'm hoping I can get away without doing a 'full' internal zero reset on the ERS as I'm going from a 20MOA base to 0MOA on the MDR.  Should be good there as I had around 20mils of upward travel, and shouldn't need more that 5-7 to offset going back to 0MOA. 

Still can't find the damned trigger gauge, and need to check chrono batteries.  Managed to find the half dozen Magpul Gen 3 SR25 mags I'd stashed ages ago for it - and lol because I bought them at a good price in sand.  Have a handful of random other mags but nowhere to be found at the moment.  Yeah, 'sand' is pretty much nowhere close to the MDR coloring but nothing a rattle can can't fix if I decide I care. Wink

If all goes well, I should have at least a few hours of shooting it tomorrow.

rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2017, 09:35:30 PM »

So, made it shooting.  
Some good, some annoying.  
Made it through ~80 rounds today with the MDR.  Zero failures.  This is good.
Located chrono and brought it with, but ran out of light - meh.  Next time.
The eye relief and optic height with my ERS and rings was pretty crappy - just too low and rearward, so after rough zero decided to just blast some rounds.  The optic I'd planned for the rifle shows up next week and I only have so much factory ammo, so will run through it with a full day, chrono, and optic mounted further forward.  

Here was the planned ammo lineup:

Had to zero the optic coming from a 20MOA base to 0MOA on the MDR.  
Used random 1980s-ish milsurp 147gr M80 ball, initially at 25yds.  Target is crawling up towards zero and multiple shots overlapping during zeroing and random fun/putting rounds through.

Random target at 100.  5 shots M80 ball and had planned on doing 5 shots 155gr Amax, but managed to load only 4 Amax.  
The ball was 2MOA + a known pulled shot - just really need to get optic moved forward and up to get comfortable.  
Amax ran about MOA but only 4 shots.  

Will wait for optic to show and do a full day vs the match ammo - I don't buy factory ammo often so this is it before I work up loads for it.  
The trigger seems to have smoothed slightly, or maybe it's me.  Still need to find my damned trigger pull gauge.
Other than optic positioning, the rifle handles well and you can certainly tell it's not a 5.56 but it's not brutal.  Oh yeah - and the mag release still sucks/is stiff.  I ran the gun a bit wet for break-in but will need to poke at the mag release.  

My buddy with his Tavor said the MDR makes the Tavor look like a toy fit-and-finish-wise.  Well, except for this, which is the charging handle weirdness I tried to describe previously.  DT said they've seen it and it should break in.  Dunno - will send them the video and see what they say.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbVR7GLICjg
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbVR7GLICjg" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbVR7GLICjg</a>

Considering I haven't run through the rest of the match ammo w/sorted optic yet, I'm happy-ish but concerned about the CH and the mag release.  
More once I get the new optic mounted up and target and chrono time, likely in 2 weeks or so.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2017, 11:37:50 PM »

Oops - missed the actual image.
5 shots 1980s ball, 4 shots amax 155gr.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2017, 12:21:46 AM »

Did a bit of quick poking on the mag release.  There's  a long pivoting-yet-captive system..one pivot and spring up front, then a flat bar running to the rear with another bar connecting via a pin, which pushes against an angled ramp which pushes the mag release outward as the bar 'crawls' up/along the ramp.  The release itself contacting the mag is part of the black horizontal piece a bit below the left side ort cover plate.

If I hold the rear piece 'depressed' manually, it's effectively disconnected from the rest of the linkage and then the front mag release still has tension but moves pretty smoothly...so it's pointing to the ramp geometry, tension or springs, something causing excess friction on the rear portion of the release. 

Need to look at further but you can hear and feel a bit of a distinct click when actuating without a mag in place.  The linkage seems to be guided well and without flexing.

rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2017, 11:04:53 PM »

No word yet from DT this time around, after sending the video a week+ showing the charging handle issue(won't lock back on left hand side slot). Will call this week and see if anyone's working.

Optic showed up, so mounted it in the Aero precision ultralight.  Have the mount fully forward on the receiver with the DMR2.  Need to ensure I can pull the barrel and it not being grabbed by the front of the mount, or move it back a notch.  Tomorrow.

The eye relief and height is noticeably better now vs using the rings and optic from my bolt gun, which had been forcing rearward positioning.

Should be heading out to shoot this weekend with the rest of the match ammo once I sight in the new optic.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 11:17:00 AM by rtp » Logged
EWTHeckman
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2017, 09:55:10 AM »

Thanks for keeping us current, rtp. I, for one, appreciate it!
Spartan
^

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »

Thanks for your coverage of the MDR disappointed didnít show up underneath the Christmas tree maybe next year
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2017, 05:36:38 PM »

Thanks for keeping us current, rtp. I, for one, appreciate it!

Sure thing. 

Here's the MDR with Aero Precision Ultralight mount (1.5" to optic centerline, typical AR height mount) and the DMR2 with proper eye relief for me in prone and standing.  Truth be told, I could even go slightly more forward, but you can see the front of the Aero mount has some slight bit covering the barrel rail, and not a whole lot of forward movement left on the mount/scope tube.  Haven't broken the rifle back down yet but will need to see if it the very front of the mount will interfere with barrel removal as is.  If so, will make a small relief in the front inside of the mount.

pwillie

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2017, 12:20:40 AM »

That's downright sexy!  Shocked
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2018, 12:13:35 AM »

Never got a reply to the second online ticket created, but I did get a quick response via email.
Looks like it's going back to DT, shipping there on my dime - which I'm not thrilled about as the charging handle issue was reported to them via web ticket and phone before the first shot fired.

As I'm stuck in the lovely freezing temperatures for this weekend, and still have a ton of factory match ammo to shoot, going to shoot the weekend of the 13th before sending it off to DT.

I'm hoping this is a once and done thing, as yeah, I'm irked about paying to send them a brand new not-quite-right out of the box rifle.

Will see how I feel after accuracy testing and the round trip to DT. 
Next update should be accuracy testing on the 13th or 14th as long as the weather warms up at least into the 40s.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length