Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2018, 07:49:13 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  MDR kitting out
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: MDR kitting out  (Read 42773 times)
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2018, 07:46:48 PM »

That is great to hear and love that one is being developed...however at $2500 modern firearm...the trigger shoudn't need upgrading though...even if its a bullpup design...

This has been said before and it bears repeating:  DT never said this would have a precision rifle's trigger - they said it would have a trigger suitable for a "battle rifle" (their words, not mine).

Kurt
JesseJames38

« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2018, 08:47:36 PM »

While I do agree that Desert Tech never said that it was going to have a precision rifle trigger in the MDR, It does state in the manual that it has a "Crisp 4.6 lb Trigger.   

Personally. by them stating that in the manual, that is what the rifle should have.     After looking at the MDR video from shot show from 2018,   and MAC video of the MDR.   Using a digital pull gauge having a 6lb trigger pull is a far cry from the 4.6lb in the manual.

And from the general statements of people on this forum who said own the MDR, most if I am not mistaken has stated there is quite a bit of creep in the trigger.

There is the argument that a 2500 dollar rifle shouldn't need to have a after market trigger installed.  And I do see there point to some extent.     I am more in the notion that if the manual says it has this type of trigger "Crisp 4.6 lb trigger"  is should damn well have that trigger.

If I buy a car and it manual states it has a 300 HP engine.       and you take the engine out and put it on a dyno and it comes back at 275  I would not be pleased. 

It is a much better world when you under promise something and over deliver then it is for you to over state the specs and then under deliver on said items.

But that is where I stand. 
Jesse
Sdevante
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2018, 09:26:06 PM »

If I buy a car and it manual states it has a 300 HP engine.       and you take the engine out and put it on a dyno and it comes back at 275  I would not be pleased. 

Maybe DT measured the pull weight at the crank?
JesseJames38

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2018, 09:34:19 PM »

Maybe DT measured the pull weight at the crank?

I have no idea where they measured the pull weight from.  Hell for all I know they cut the bottom of the trigger guard off.  put a 1 inch trigger shoe extension on the trigger and measured it from the bottom of the extension.     Who knows.     All I can say is I expect what is advertised.     

Jesse.     
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2018, 04:51:01 PM »

Agreed.
bpguy

« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2018, 10:20:11 PM »

I guess people have forgotten the post from Nick himself saying "The MDR's Trigger weight is 4.5-5 lbs, anyone who has reported anything above has miss-reported the specification because they hastefully over-pulled the trigger gauge beyond the triggers breaking point.
https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=12444.20
I guess people at SHOT SHOW were not using the gage right either. 
Ditcher
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2018, 10:26:03 PM »

I guess people have forgotten the post from Nick himself saying "The MDR's Trigger weight is 4.5-5 lbs, anyone who has reported anything above has miss-reported the specification because they hastefully over-pulled the trigger gauge beyond the triggers breaking point.

Well this is true, How do we know the training these people received on using a trigger gauge or it the trigger gauge they are using is in calibration!   Grin
bpguy

« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2018, 11:12:35 AM »

Well this is true, How do we know the training these people received on using a trigger gauge or it the trigger gauge they are using is in calibration!   Grin
If there were only one report of a crappy trigger then I would cry foul on the report.  Also with the trigger gage.  But there have been several videos and reports on this.  So to cry calibration or user error is a shame.  Obviously you have never used a digital pull gage to know how easy they are to use and get constant results.  You can watch the MAC video and see that he is using it correctly and his reporting is similar to other reports out there.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2018, 12:49:03 PM »

If there were only one report of a crappy trigger then I would cry foul on the report.  Also with the trigger gage.  But there have been several videos and reports on this.  So to cry calibration or user error is a shame.  Obviously you have never used a digital pull gage to know how easy they are to use and get constant results.  You can watch the MAC video and see that he is using it correctly and his reporting is similar to other reports out there.

If anyone has a sampling of weights, one could also do it the old fashioned way - put rifle in a vice or fix straight upwards, put a string around the trigger, and a known weight on the bottom.  I don't know how one could easily argue those results. 

As I still can't find my original trigger pull gauge, I've now got a new Wheeler digital coming for whenever the MDR makes it back to me.  I think the reality is it is what it is, which is likely a ~6#-ish, not great but also not terrible, trigger.  It's also TBD as to how much the trigger may wear in over time. 

Will post the #s once I have the MDR back.  Meanwhile, as others hopefully start to get theirs, and trigger weights are posted, it will be interesting to see DTs response or if the manual is updated, possibly having the weight from the 'crisp 4.6# trigger' line removed altogether.  This is of course assuming no one is getting 4.x# triggers.
Ditcher
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2018, 02:20:23 PM »

You know I was joking right???
newguy2k3

« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2018, 11:13:12 PM »

Mine actually measures about 4.5lbs at the bottom 1/4 of the trigger shoe.

It just has more creep than every other AR trigger I have put together. I think I measured .080"+ of sear engagement. I got an extra hammer first but I stoned the hammer and cut the sear engagement in half and while it's much better I would still take the milspec trigger in my Bushmaster first.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2018, 06:58:06 PM »

Mine actually measures about 4.5lbs at the bottom 1/4 of the trigger shoe.

It just has more creep than every other AR trigger I have put together. I think I measured .080"+ of sear engagement. I got an extra hammer first but I stoned the hammer and cut the sear engagement in half and while it's much better I would still take the milspec trigger in my Bushmaster first.

Interesting to see how mine compares.  Is that before or after your work on it?
A Wheeler 'pro' digital gauge showed up today from Amazon; the MDR looks like it'll be back to me on Monday.

DT sold you a hammer separately?  How much?
I'm more interested in getting back to reliability and accuracy testing once it's back in my hands again, but might consider trying to do some smoothing down the line.  Maybe, and if parts are available.  I did a solid job on my CZ, but may also just wait to see how/if it breaks in over time or what Art comes up with.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2018, 10:22:39 PM »

maybe the hand guards aren't as tough as they need to be...noticed this in CBM's 556 vid.  assumed they were using a zytel polymer...but maybe not...anyone's guess.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 10:40:34 PM by HBeretta » Logged
JesseJames38

« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2018, 10:43:09 PM »

That's not looking good.  and the sad part is  that's the top half of the hand guard.     don't think I ever seen CBM ever put anything on the top rail of the MDR handguard.

Jesse
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2018, 10:58:10 PM »

That's not looking good.  and the sad part is  that's the top half of the hand guard.     don't think I ever seen CBM ever put anything on the top rail of the MDR handguard.

Jesse

On the face of it, I would agree.  However, we don't know the lineage of the handguard or what has been done to it.  It could be an original test item that has been beaten to hell and back and is showing the wear.

Kurt
Box

« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2018, 11:09:01 PM »

Nice catch, HBeretta.

It’s definitely very concerning.   I suppose that’s seemingly an easy fix that DT can handle, but it would require a polymer change.

I’d like to hear CBM chime in on that image.
spacegunz

« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2018, 04:41:49 AM »

The Desert Tech MDR is such a disaster. Let’s recap:

* Charging handle often doesn't lock back; charging handle flops around when firing
* Default flash hider is torqued on WAY too tight, where trying to remove it sometimes causes damage
* PMAGs don’t always drop free
* Reliability issues and weird ejection malfunctions like trying to eject live rounds
* Overgassed when suppressed, even on the suppressor setting
* Hand guard is brittle and breaks from simple bipod use —and DT blames the user for “mounting it wrong”
* Mag release way too stiff or stuck, and DT just says “it’ll loosen up over time” (about as trustworthy as their continual promises that they’ll ship out all the preorders “soon”)
* Trigger pulp weighs 6-8 lbs rather than the advertised “crisp 4.6 lbs” — and Nick Young of DT blames customers from using their trigger gauges wrong.

Let’s see, what else am I missing? Oh yeah — they’re not really even shipping them yet in any reaonsably large quantities; meanwhile they parade around gun shows saying they’ve “shipped” the MDR.

Hmm, what about some positives? Well, I hear it feels nice and looks nice before you shoot it. So there’s that.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:58:29 AM by spacegunz » Logged
coldboremiracle

« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2018, 09:34:06 AM »

Good eye, I was hoping nobody noticed that. That was from shooting the rifle with the overmolded handguard, and no suppressor, 308 muzzle blast is not kind. Its the only reason why I have my own overmolded handguard  Roll Eyes  
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:39:44 AM by coldboremiracle » Logged

The first shot, is worth all the rest.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »

So are the handguards breaking up top due to the gas coming out of the barrel...is that it?

or did you shot the MDR with an extended handguard that went past barrel? (if so that is not smart to beging with).

If it's not one thing...its another it seems like.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:30:38 AM by thehun » Logged
ES Tactical

« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2018, 11:31:50 AM »

So are the handguards breaking up top due to the gas coming out of the barrel...is that it?

Seems pretty dang cheap to me...come on DT. If it's not one thing...its another. What is going on?
It he used the overmolded handguard without a suppressor, then it's from the muzzle blast being contained inside the hand guard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length