Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2018, 02:31:01 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  MDR kitting out
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print
Author Topic: MDR kitting out  (Read 40457 times)
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #200 on: April 21, 2018, 07:50:44 PM »

Finally made it back out to shoot the MDR some today.
Round count: M80 surplus ball: 70 rounds, no issues.  ~1.5-2MOA depending on target and round.
Hornady steel match 155gr - 6 rounds, ~2MOA for today
Speer LE 150gr GDSP - 5rds, 2 MOA
PMC Bronze 147gr FMJBT, 20rds, 1.75MOA
Federal PowerShok 180gr, 5rds.  Suck.  4x at 2MOA, nasty flyer = 3.5MOA
PMC Xtac Match 168gr, 10rd.  Might have done better, 3x sub-MOA, 2x added coming in at 2.5MOA.
IMI Match 168gr, 5 rounds attempted, but rims ripped off, had to rod out.  4 shot 1.25MOA
IMI Match 175gr, 5 rounds attempted, ripped off rims, had to rod out.  Unable to shoot more IMI.
FGMM Match 175gr, 4rds, 1.3MOA
Round count for today: ~122rds.  Total rifle count: 382rds

Beyond the suck of ripping rims off of both PPU Match and now IMI Match ammo, I noticed the charging handle, which it had been sent back for previously for failure to lock solidly on the left hand side...now can't be released from the right hand side.  I don't care a whole lot on this one immediately, and will see what develops, but does make me have some concerns about relatively overly-tight tolerances in the changing handle mechanism.  Will see what happens.  Locks up solidly on the left hand side.

Swapped out the DMR2 towards the end of the day sighting in the Minox ZP8 and to do some steel blasting at 100 and 200yds.  Worked well, next outing will probably start with the Minox, bring the chrono and do some longer range shooting.  If I can get my reloading room set back up (new to us house not long ago, neglected reloading bench needing to move upstairs), may do some load workups.

Ran like a sewing machine with the crappy surplus M80 ball, perfectly acceptable at 2MOA-ish at 100, sometimes better, and blasting steel gongs. 
I remain concerned about it doesn't run everything - whether or not we're now saying both PPU and IMI brass is both 'soft' or not, it should run reliably. 
Will contact DT - they're aware of my prior PPU Match having the rims ripped off, now add the IMI Match to the mix. 
Hoping an updated gas adjustment w/more positions can resolve the issue, while hoping it's not in need of a bolt/trunnion re-design to reliable fire and extract all comers.  Debating on whether or not to do some very minor chamber polishing, but will see what DT says first.

Pics of ripped rims and the 'follow-up' round as the MDR tried to feed the next round into the blocked/stuck case. 

JesseJames38

« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2018, 08:04:13 PM »

Yeah that sucks its ripping off the rims.  Honestly the way the ejector is set up and how the bolt is made. I really wonder if it may be possible to cut off that bottom leg of the bolt and put a second extractor in its place. This would give more surface area to remove the casing. and being that the shell is being pushed to the side by the scissor mech it may not interfere with having a second extractor at the bottom.   As for how well it would work out in practice I am not sure. But I don't think its a bad idea

Jesse
Glorfindel

« Reply #202 on: April 21, 2018, 08:14:08 PM »

An idea I had for more extractor surface area is simply to give up on the bolt being ambidextrous without flipping it or anything. For me, the forward eject is sufficient ambidexterity. I would love to have a dedicated right hander bolt with more extractor surface area.
Siris

« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2018, 08:31:32 PM »

Now granted I'm going on a sample size of one but I've not had any issues with torn rims in mine. Could this be an over gas issue maybe? What kind of ammo are you using? For the record I've used M-80, federal match, and some hand loads in mine so far.

What ever happened to Democrat meaning drunken partying and pistol duels on the white house lawn, beating your would be assassin so senseless your security has to protect them from you, and one of your only two regrets is that you didn't kill your own vice president and running mate.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #204 on: April 21, 2018, 08:46:43 PM »

Now granted I'm going on a sample size of one but I've not had any issues with torn rims in mine. Could this be an over gas issue maybe? What kind of ammo are you using? For the record I've used M-80, federal match, and some hand loads in mine so far.

This thread as well as last post lists all ammo to date.  I bought a buttload  of ammo to see what it liked and didn't.
It rips the rims off of PPU match and IMI match ammo, resulting in a stuck case which must be rodded out.  Gas set to normal, has the brazed sleeve in the gas plug, running on normal gas setting.

Haven't had issues with ancient surplus m80 ball, FGMM or others, at least not causing stuck cases...but probably should examine that brass a bit more to see if it remains reload able or not.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 10:33:27 AM by rtp » Logged
Box

« Reply #205 on: April 21, 2018, 11:06:18 PM »

Thanks for the updates.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #206 on: July 04, 2018, 08:51:23 PM »

I liked that bag so much I picked one up. LAPG has a 15% coupon now for fools day. Worked out well. Thanks.

I've found that Vertx has some of the better thought out products on the market.

Wow. The VertX bag is now on sale for $38!!  I may need to buy more for the hell of it!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 12:21:41 AM by rtp » Logged
Heavy

« Reply #207 on: July 04, 2018, 09:11:09 PM »

Thanks for the link. Got 2. My bud who paid $200 for his will be fuming when i tell him.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #208 on: July 04, 2018, 09:48:21 PM »

Just make sure you're aware on the dimensions of this bag that LAPG is offering; it'll handle rifles up to about 28".

Kurt
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length