Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2018, 07:36:47 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  MDR kitting out
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Print
Author Topic: MDR kitting out  (Read 35550 times)
EWTHeckman
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #160 on: March 16, 2018, 01:35:32 PM »

For me, it really comes down to whether the eyebox/FOV justifies the jump to the Kahles.

I got to take a look at the new Nightforce 1-8X at GAOS at the EuroOptic booth. They really downplayed the Kahles relative to the NF, saying that it had been surpassed, especially given the price. I didn't get to eyeball the Kahles as a result.

I'm not sure if it's true, or they just didn't want to pull out that scope. I had a heck of a time even getting to talk to someone. It took about 4 visits and essentially "crashing" someone else looking at the same scopes. I'm a little pissed at them for their readiness to simply ignore potential customers.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2018, 08:22:20 PM »

For me, it really comes down to whether the eyebox/FOV justifies the jump to the Kahles.

I got to take a look at the new Nightforce 1-8X at GAOS at the EuroOptic booth. They really downplayed the Kahles relative to the NF, saying that it had been surpassed, especially given the price. I didn't get to eyeball the Kahles as a result.

I'm not sure if it's true, or they just didn't want to pull out that scope. I had a heck of a time even getting to talk to someone. It took about 4 visits and essentially "crashing" someone else looking at the same scopes. I'm a little pissed at them for their readiness to simply ignore potential customers.

I noticed this at the GAOS as well.  I was specifically interested in the K16i (looking at other reticles) and was "strongly guided" to the Nightforce and got an attitude when I told the guy that I had no interested in Nightforce.  That was after I waited for about ten minutes and finally had to ask for help when the guy seemed to be looking everywhere but me (at the Kahles) area.

Kurt
wagrn
^

« Reply #162 on: March 16, 2018, 08:27:28 PM »

Cold bore, do you have any info on a new longer hand gaurd, not over the suppressor but more like the original DMR type on the original display material.  I really like the 6.5 you are running, but would like to see a rail slightly longer and more slender to run out for a 18 or 20in barrel.
Chief Master

« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2018, 11:44:39 PM »

I had been interested in the Nightforce, too, but I read some comments from a Nightforce employee on Snipers Hide that the NX8 eyebox and field of view were nowhere near the likes of a second focal plane Razor/K16i.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2018, 09:08:06 PM »

Made it back out with the MDR today, although much later than planned.

The good:
No more issues with charging handle.  Ran reliably with the exception noted below.
Handguard didn't break. Wink

The not-so-good:
After shooting some without issue on the first outing, I've now hit the failure to extract/ripping rims off brass issue some have reported.  Had to use a rod to get several PPU 155gr HPBT match out of the chamber. Sad

Around 140 rounds fired in total, estimated current round count around 300.  Shot a bunch of N round groups, ranging from 5-10 rounds. 
Wasn't having a particularly on day, maybe because it started with re-zero in the Spuhr mount followed by what amounted to scattershot with the 80s surplus ball ammo that had me scratching my head to the point of loosening and re-torqueing the barrel, checking Spuhr base and rings (which were good to go), followed by the 'joys' of ripping the rims off of the PPU brass which previously had run OK through the MDR.

Best group was again from the Hornady 155gr A-Max, but today I was a bit over MOA.  Need to scan through the rest, but FGMM 175 SMKs were again unimpressive for me vs the Amax.  Wasn't overly fond of what the Hornady Factory Match 178gr BTHPs were doing either.  Hornady Steel Match 155gr seemed a bit behind the Amax, but going from memory - will scan through target collection later.

I think next real outing will wind up being bringing some load workups using 155gr and 175gr SMKs, and possibly some 178gr Hornady BTHPs, simply because I have both of the latter on hand, and dong some chrono time for reference, and taking it out to 300 or more.

(some of) the failed to extract rounds:

whiskey91lima

« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2018, 10:08:16 PM »

rtp, I just took my MDR to the range for the first time and followed DTís break-in procedures per the leaflet that came with the rifle. I had the same issue that started presenting itself after 75 rnds.

All in all, here are the issues that all occurred after 75 rounds:
- 6x stuck cases, 3 of which completely stripped the heads of the cases.
- 3x trigger failure to reset
- Charging handle failure to load forward on approx 1/5 of strings
- Dust cover remaining closed causing a FTE on approx 1/3 of shots with dust cover closed
- A brand new 25rnd Gen 3 PMAG would drop free on recoil even if there was only one round in the mag. I had suspicions on another brand new 10rnd Gen 3 PMAG but it never dropped free.

Ammo used:
- ZQI 7.62 NATO M80
- Lithuania surplus 7.62 NATO M80

At this point, I am assuming that the gun needs a thorough cleaning. My plan is to only clean the gun per DT direction as laid out in the manual. If any of these issues persist (except CHP, personally I donít care about the CHP), I will contact DT warranty.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 10:13:52 PM by whiskey91lima » Logged
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2018, 10:35:08 PM »

I thought 1:10 suppose to like heavier grain bullets...any idea why your MDR prefers lighter grain ammo?
Potss
^

« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2018, 11:15:20 PM »

thehun, rifling twist rate will not effect accuracy this close in as long as the bullet is stabilized.  That is a myth that needs to die.  Even if the bullet is over/under stabilized, as long as it is within the acceptable range (which 155gr rounds are) you generally won't see a difference until way out near transonic all else being equal.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2018, 12:44:59 AM »

rtp, I just took my MDR to the range for the first time and followed DTís break-in procedures per the leaflet that came with the rifle. I had the same issue that started presenting itself after 75 rnds.

- Dust cover remaining closed causing a FTE on approx 1/3 of shots with dust cover closed
- A brand new 25rnd Gen 3 PMAG would drop free on recoil even if there was only one round in the mag. I had suspicions on another brand new 10rnd Gen 3 PMAG but it never dropped free.

Ammo used:
- ZQI 7.62 NATO M80

At this point, I am assuming that the gun needs a thorough cleaning. My plan is to only clean the gun per DT direction as laid out in the manual. If any of these issues persist (except CHP, personally I donít care about the CHP), I will contact DT warranty.

Damn, that's quite the list! Sad
We're you running bad on normal or adverse?
I ran on adverse on a cleaned and lube slightly sweet gun other than I left the DT lithium looking grease on the scissor mechanism.

No dropped mags to date nor failure to reset trigger.
Will have to intentionally close the dust cover between shots next time out blowing through some of the crap surplus ball next time.

Can you explain your charging handle issue more?

rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2018, 12:52:17 AM »

I thought 1:10 suppose to like heavier grain bullets...any idea why your MDR prefers lighter grain ammo?

It's as Potts stated, and beyond that the SMK 168 and 175s aren't always the best at shorter range vs others while the 168 does pretty well out to 600+ but completely sucks once it goes subsonic/trans-sonic while the 175 weathers that better.  I'm still somewhat surprised as both the Outback 168gr SMK and the FGMM 175 SMKs perform pretty well at 100 in many rifles, but will see what happens going out further in the future.

whiskey91lima

« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2018, 02:05:03 AM »

Ammo used:
- ZQI 7.62 NATO M80

I ran on adverse on a cleaned and lube slightly sweet gun other than I left the DT lithium looking grease on the scissor mechanism.

Will have to intentionally close the dust cover between shots next time out blowing through some of the crap surplus ball next time.

I was running in adverse until the first stripped case head like the manual said. Then I switched to normal and problems increased exponentially.

The mag drop issue I believe is specific to the magazine. It appears as if the catch-well in the magazine itself is not as deep as it should be, so the mag catch doesnít fully seat. I can visually see that the catch doesnít fully seat. More testing is required.

The charging handle problem is the same as originally reported months ago. The handle doesnít always stay locked in the forward position. Itís obvious on the last round fired because itís halfway back.

I decided to open up the rifle for a good clean per the manual recommendations and was met by a large chunk of polymer and a steel pin floating in the lower. Savanging the exploded diagrams and field dissassembling the rifle, the polymer appears to be from the bottom of the stock internals. And I have no idea where the pin is from. The pin does not look seared.

On close inspection of the gas valve, it looks like the normal and adverse are the same size. It also looks like there is some gas blow-by of the gas port as if there isnít a good seal by the valve. The hole size difference may be too small to see with the naked eye. Maybe the normal setting is overgassed on my rifle?

Overall, with the numerous failures and either broken or worked free parts in less than 200 rnds. I am disappointed.

JesseJames38

« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2018, 02:14:34 AM »

Ammo used:
- ZQI 7.62 NATO M80

I was running in adverse until the first stripped case head like the manual said. Then I switched to normal and problems increased exponentially.

The mag drop issue I believe is specific to the magazine. It appears as if the catch-well in the magazine itself is not as deep as it should be, so the mag catch doesnít fully seat. I can visually see that the catch doesnít fully seat. More testing is required.

The charging handle problem is the same as originally reported months ago. The handle doesnít always stay locked in the forward position. Itís obvious on the last round fired because itís halfway back.

I decided to open up the rifle for a good clean per the manual recommendations and was met by a large chunk of polymer and a steel pin floating in the lower. Savanging the exploded diagrams and field dissassembling the rifle, the polymer appears to be from the bottom of the stock internals. And I have no idea where the pin is from. The pin does not look seared.

On close inspection of the gas valve, it looks like the normal and adverse are the same size. It also looks like there is some gas blow-by of the gas port as if there isnít a good seal by the valve. The hole size difference may be too small to see with the naked eye. Maybe the normal setting is overgassed on my rifle?

Overall, with the numerous failures and either broken or worked free parts in less than 200 rnds. I am disappointed.

Is it possible its the same pin that Siris had walking out of his counterbalance for the forward magazine release?
whiskey91lima

« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2018, 09:17:26 AM »

Yes, it appears to be the same pin.

https://imgur.com/gallery/mQmPM
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:27:38 AM by whiskey91lima » Logged
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2018, 10:54:25 AM »

Seems to me my first run MDR had better QC than this shipment.

AE
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2018, 11:28:13 AM »

damn man...that sucks.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2018, 03:49:53 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry to hear. This is disappointing.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 06:22:52 PM by thehun » Logged
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2018, 09:55:53 PM »

I meant to comment on this earlier but checked it on my phone and then when I got home it didn't flag as new.

Take a look at the pivot assembly on the charging handle and give it a good cleaning and then work it a bit.  When I mentioned the geometry of the charging handle (it pushes up rather than down at the front, and the potential issues) to Nick, he explained why they did it and added this:  Usually when the handle reciprocates then it is in need of cleaning of the pivoting joint on the charging handle.

Kurt
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2018, 10:34:04 PM »

I meant to comment on this earlier but checked it on my phone and then when I got home it didn't flag as new.

Take a look at the pivot assembly on the charging handle and give it a good cleaning and then work it a bit.  When I mentioned the geometry of the charging handle (it pushes up rather than down at the front, and the potential issues) to Nick, he explained why they did it and added this:  Usually when the handle reciprocates then it is in need of cleaning of the pivoting joint on the charging handle.

isn't his rifle brand new though?  it should hold whether it's clean or not.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2018, 10:55:18 PM »

isn't his rifle brand new though?  it should hold whether it's clean or not.

If you saw how it works, you'd understand.  If the hinge point doesn't pivot properly, then the handle won't fold upwards.  Beyond that, I'm just repeating what I was told; have questions or complaints, don't come to me.   Smiley

Kurt
newguy2k3

« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2018, 11:24:07 PM »

I got out with mine today and ran another 60rds through it. Had a few trigger related issues. Failure to reset and light strikes. Had loaded up a couple brownells mags and had a few mag related feeding issues. I didn't see what the hangup actually was but it was hanging up as it was stripping the next round. Bumped the mag and it unstuck. My modified brass catcher worked as intended.

Has my 16" MWS out too. First time I've shot them back to back. It's about a pound heavier and obviously more front heavy but even being overgassed shoots softer than the mdr and is faster back on target. Some of that is probably just not being used to the mdr though. Trigger comparison is not even funny(geiselle).
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length