Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2018, 10:41:56 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  MDR kitting out
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: MDR kitting out  (Read 35851 times)
coldboremiracle

« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2018, 11:38:18 AM »

So are the handguards breaking up top due to the gas coming out of the barrel...is that it?

or did you shot the MDR with an extended handguard that went past barrel? (if so that is not smart to beging with).

If it's not one thing...its another it seems like.

You seriously think a poly handguard wrapped around a 308 muzzle should hold up? Yes, the extended handguard goes past the muzzle, dont worry, its not your handguard.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:40:28 AM by coldboremiracle » Logged

The first shot, is worth all the rest.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT
AF Gunner

« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2018, 12:11:28 PM »

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/28/potd-dont-cover-up-your-muzzle-brakes-they-like-to-be-free/

I don't think it's good on aluminum either.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2018, 03:28:45 PM »

So are the handguards breaking up top due to the gas coming out of the barrel...is that it?

or did you shot the MDR with an extended handguard that went past barrel? (if so that is not smart to beging with).

You seriously think a poly handguard wrapped around a 308 muzzle should hold up? Yes, the extended handguard goes past the muzzle, dont worry, its not your handguard.

Of course not...I was trying to clarify how it happened with a bit of sarcasm.  Grin
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2018, 05:59:50 PM »

Of course not...I was trying to clarify how it happened with a bit of sarcasm.  Grin

Perhaps until we have our MDRs and people back off the hair trigger response to lay siege with torches and pitchforks the sarcasm should be withheld?

Kurt
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2018, 06:19:35 PM »

Perhaps until we have our MDRs and people back off the hair trigger response to lay siege with torches and pitchforks the sarcasm should be withheld?

Wow, when do we go from suggesting how people speak to suggesting how they think?

AE
Dogslayer

« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2018, 07:07:20 PM »

You must drink the DT coolaid, only then will you be praising DT for their prompt
release and delivery of tomorrow's weapons today. Or sometime this century.

Dogslayer
spacegunz

« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2018, 07:19:38 PM »

Iím pretty cynical on the MDR at this point, but even I would forgive Desert Tech (or anyone) when issues arise from a .308 muzzle brake fired inside of an overmolded handguard (with no suppressor), unless it was specifically designed for that. As linked above, even aluminum is susceptible.

What I am concerned about, however, is the chipped polymer handguard from bipod use. In fact, most concerning is not just the damage itself, but that when sent back to DT, they had the arrogance to blame the user (if Iím interpreting his post correctly) for installing the MLOK attachment wrong.

Even if you installed the MLOK nut at the wrong angle, it still shouldnít break off entire chunks of the hand guard. MLOK was designed by Magpul specifically to work well with polymer handguards. Any chipping of the handguards from normal use is indicative of the wrong type of polymer (or a bad batch) being used. I donít believe you could make that happen to a Magpul polymer handguard, even if you tried.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:25:08 PM by spacegunz » Logged
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2018, 08:33:31 PM »

Ummmm.....that would be a no. I am actually excited to see more MDRs out in the wild (as they happen)...sarcasm stays...even if it hurts your little DT cool aid fan boy heart  Evil Evil Grin Grin Evil Evil
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2018, 09:32:09 PM »

Wow, when do we go from suggesting how people speak to suggesting how they think?

AE

It's called a suggestion...you know, something to foster polite discourse...something that this forum has been missing for quite some time.

Kurt
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2018, 09:33:47 PM »

You must drink the DT coolaid, only then will you be praising DT for their prompt
release and delivery of tomorrow's weapons today. Or sometime this century.

Dogslayer

I have no clue how you got that out of a comment suggesting that we hold the sarcasm because everyone seems to be on a hair trigger to take every comment in the absolute worst way possible.

Kurt
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2018, 09:36:13 PM »

Ummmm.....that would be a no. I am actually excited to see more MDRs out in the wild (as they happen)...sarcasm stays...even if it hurts your little DT cool aid fan boy heart  Evil Evil Grin Grin Evil Evil

Doesn't hurt my heart at all.  You seem to be the one that's emotionally invested in trying to be as rude as possible about as much as possible.  I'm just suggesting that the sarcasm be withheld for better understanding.

Kurt
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2018, 10:14:35 PM »

Iím truly not. However I get your point.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2018, 11:46:37 AM »

MDR showed back up this am; thankfully am working remote today as I'm slammed the rest of the week. 
CH lockup is now working properly. 

I believe my MDR was 'adjusted' at least to some extent as I did gripe about the trigger and mag release.
Avg of 4 trigger pulls at the bottom of the trigger was 4.1#. 
Avg of 4 trigger pulls at the 'curve' where trigger finger is most likely to be pulling: 6.x #.  (cleared the readings, but at least one was > 7#, so will re-test).
Will run some more tonight.
Steelviper
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2018, 11:49:25 AM »

As always thanks for the 1st hand knowledge and opinion.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2018, 12:31:44 PM »

MDR showed back up this am; thankfully am working remote today as I'm slammed the rest of the week. 
CH lockup is now working properly. 

I believe my MDR was 'adjusted' at least to some extent as I did gripe about the trigger and mag release.
Avg of 4 trigger pulls at the bottom of the trigger was 4.1#. 
Avg of 4 trigger pulls at the 'curve' where trigger finger is most likely to be pulling: 6.x #.  (cleared the readings, but at least one was > 7#, so will re-test).
Will run some more tonight.

Hope it continues to work for you. Keep us informed.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2018, 03:23:02 PM »

Ok, so... played around with a bit more, including where my finger winds up sitting on pull.  
If you look at the MDR trigger, downwards from the obvious curve, you see a 'point' at the rear side of the trigger a bit below the 'bent'/curved portion.  This is where my finger 'wants' to go if I just grab the rifle.  It's not brushing the finger-guard at the bottom, and not all the way down, but it is below where the trigger curves outwards again.  

Doing a run of 10 pulls, using a Wheeler Engineering 'Pro' digital gauge, yields around 4.25#, or 4lbs 4.2oz.  
In that run, there was a low of 3# 14.2oz and a high of 4# 6.4oz.  
I think there's more wearing in to be done here based on the variance, and this 'feels' lighter than when it was sent to DT.  The trigger remains 'ok' - it's not a great trigger, but also not a bad one, although I am surprised it's coming in at 4.25-ish # going off of how it feels.  

YMMV as always.  Will compare to my AUG w/2020 hammer pack (not the sear, full pack) in it later.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:35:42 PM by rtp » Logged
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2018, 06:49:48 PM »

For comparison, my AUG with full hammer pack (not sear only) is at ~4.1#, with similar high and low values.  
My AUG trigger is less gritty and manages to somehow feel 'nicer' going back to back, but to be fair, I've had thousands of rounds through it.
And my bolt gun w/Timney is right around 2.3# with a true 'crisp break.'

JesseJames38

« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2018, 08:52:52 PM »

Thanks for the update there RTP, its nice to see something that it is compared to,  It is also nice to see they have adjusted your trigger or so it appears so in order to get the correct poundage.   HOply it still improves after a few hundred rounds.

Thanks again for the update.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2018, 09:51:21 PM »

As always thanks for the 1st hand knowledge and opinion.

No problem, and hopefully there will be more joining in soon with theirs in hand. 

Next up for me is re-mounting the DMR2 in a Spuhr mount and re-zero-ing, hopefully followed by some more accuracy testing on the remainder of the factory match ammo I've got left. 

Oh, and of course pics of M-lok backer placement inside the handrail and torquing, although I use a Borka which isn't as 'nice' as a digital readout, although I trust it more. Wink  Hoping the hand guard issue was a one-off, and smooth sailing from here.  Will see. 

Will post a pic next to my AUG once I re-mount the optic - it's interesting as I never thought the AUG to be a particularly svelte rifle, although compact, nor the MDR to be 'big,' although heavy-ish, but side by side or the AUG 'on top of' the MDR is interesting.  Note the LOP differences. 

Ok, screw it - pic minus optic on the MDR makes the point well enough.  AUG in 9mm trim, so would be slightly longer with the 5.56 barrel and AAC FH/mount on it.

JesseJames38

« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2018, 10:24:05 PM »

Yeah. I am just waiting for  Euro Optic to give me a phone call and say "hey your rifle is here, where do you want it sent to?"  But I don't have a trigger gauge so I will have no idea what my pull weight will be when it gets here.   Looking at the two photos you have,  One it looks like the MDR has a shorter length of pull and in the second one it looks like it has a longer length of pull. so I am confused which one is the shorter LOP rifle,  dang out I hate optical illusions.

Jesse
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length