Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2018, 05:18:33 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  MDR kitting out
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: MDR kitting out  (Read 31609 times)
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: November 26, 2017, 10:49:02 PM »

So after nearly 4 years from my first pre-order I've got a tracking number. Amusingly, they tried to deliver Friday but my FFL wasn't around to accept it.  Huh? Roll Eyes

One of the prior times we’d heard ‘coming soon,’ but before we knew the 5,56 was delayed even more, I’d picked up a DeltaPoint Pro for the 5.56, at a premium, so was waiting for rifle in hand before throwing down any more $$ down the 'MDR hole,' but with a tracking number and lots of online Black Friday Xmas shopping, I went ahead and did some MDR shopping as well.

So far, that's amounted to:
Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR2 3.5-21x50, illuminated, G3 reticle.  I love my ERS, and while I expect to eventually it out the MDR with a 1-8 or 1-10, I want to do some accuracy testing and load development so I expect it will see a good amount of use and I may consider replacing my ERS with it if the glass is as improved as claimed.

Aero precision FDE extended mount.  Not sure this will wind up being a keeper due to optic centerline height but it will do for now.

Seekins Precision 5 slot M-lok rail for the fore-end, and a Magpul 3-slot.  I'll use one for mounting my Atlas bipod to, and the other for a light mount, although the light makes more sense once it's in its later 1-8x configuration.

TLR-1 HL kit. Lame that it seems you can't get an FDE light with the remote kit, while the remote kit separately doesn't include the remote door, so in black for now.  Thought about the WML but like the TLR-1 HLs in general, so we'll see.

Magpul M-lok and Pic rail QD mounts.  TBD on which one I'll wind up using but AFAIK, no forward QD on the MDR, so will use one of the two.  

Still sorting a sling. Unless I'm convinced otherwise, I still really like the Urban ERT I run on my AUG.  I swap it to/from 1 and 2 point modes fairly often, and while I wish it didn't have a hanging free end, the wide strap is great.

Picked up some misc bullets for reloading but also a handful of factory ammo.  I've got some FGMM SMK175 and Outback SMK168gr on hand, but picked up some:
IMI M80 ball 147gr,
PP 155 BTHP match
Hornady 155gr Palma Amax match
Hornady 178gr BTHP match
IMI 168gr razer core OTM
PNC 168gr matcHave
Hornady steel case 155gr match - didn't realize it was steel case when ordering. Meh.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 10:53:32 PM by rtp » Logged
INV136
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 05:06:12 PM »

4 years? I thought DT didn't start accepting pre-paid orders until February 2016? At least that's when I first heard about pre-paid orders being accepted. And, I had to wait until February 2016 to get my order in because they took that long before they responded to my e-mail. Prior to that I was on the BPF group buy list, but, no pre-orders.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 05:35:01 PM »

Some dealers were building a waiting list as soon as the MDR was announced.

Kurt
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 09:34:16 PM »

4 years? I thought DT didn't start accepting pre-paid orders until February 2016? At least that's when I first heard about pre-paid orders being accepted. And, I had to wait until February 2016 to get my order in because they took that long before they responded to my e-mail. Prior to that I was on the BPF group buy list, but, no pre-orders.
Yep - Jan 2014 deposit for Oakland Tactical, #40 for BPF and payment Feb 2016 for BPF.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 09:44:57 PM »

So....something came today.  It might look somewhat familiar.

Have aforementioned parts on order and a long work week, so if all goes well and the optic and mount arrives, should make it shooting this weekend. 

Some initial thoughts and comments:

The case is nice - holds everything securely.

Manual
   Seems complete and well-done.  It has very good parts diagrams in the back.
   Apparently the MDR (and all DT?) warrantee is 3 years - didn't know that before. 
   It calls out a 'crisp 4.6lb trigger' - we'll see. Smiley
   calls out TBD on weight for 300BO and 5.56

Assembly
   Manual says to check bolt after moving charging handle rearwards -
   I'm not sure it's possible/east to remove covers with CH rearwards.
   The covers are marked for caliber but it doesn't initially seem possible to check bolt for caliber stamp w/out bolt removal.  Haven't done full breakdown, clean, lube yet.

It appears the rifle was test-fired - may or may not have been with the barrel shipped, but see pic of case extractor insides.  Not a bad thing; just noting.

Fat wrench won't go to 80in/lbs nor does it have the right bit, which I have in my Borka set as 'hw5'...and will go to 80in/lbs
   Be careful on the L wrench DT provides - can definitely use it to get to 80in/lbs, but can probably fairly easily go over the 30 in/lbs for the forearm T25 screws. 
   Diagram in manual for gas plug isn't obvious, at least to me, but straight up and down seems to be Normal.  1-7 o'clock from the front/1 click clockwise from plug vertical (from the front) is Adverse, 2 clicks clockwise 0s suppressed.  I left it on adverse for break-in noting comments from coldboremiracle in someone else's thread.

Overall/random (not-yet-fired)   
   Removing receiver from case - feels heavy but solid

I personally really like the 'two tone' FDE - the receiver is lighter with the forearm and lower being darker, along with the cheek-rest pad. 
   I REALLY like the look in person.

The buttpad is very nice, as is the overall fit and finish of the rifle.  It certainly looks and feels like a quality rifle.

Moving the charging handle to rear from left side leaves a 'wiggle' - seems not up all the way.  Reaching over to the right side and pushing that side up moves left side up into 'fully up' position.  Initially I thought it was just 'weird', but working it a few times and consciously pushing up using the left side to charge the rifle seems like I was able to feel like I felt like I pushed up fully (on the left) but was then able to shake the rifle (not much) and get the charging handle to release hands-off.  Could be a break-in thing, dunno - but will be watching this.

The forearm seems to be a bit fiddly going on- seems to be no magic beyond force to push the retaining pin out, but don't really want to force a new rifle, just in case there's a more obvious, non-forceful method.  You don't need to unscrew the screws very far, but some fiddling to get it lined up - minor, don't care, just mentioning. 

Once on, the forearm seems suitably stiff for most sane/reasonably purposes, meaning I could induce only minor flex in it with some hand pressure.  Playing living room commando to see how it shoulders from low ready - those who like the C-Clamp style grip will wind up with your leading thumb right in front of the forward/front end of the rail, where the rail ramps downward slightly, but with near-zero chance of over-reaching and touching the barrel or grabbing any pic rail to tear up soft hands.  Pretty neat.  On the flip side, the inside portion of the lower foregrip 'stop' isn't bad, but maybe should have been filled in so a bit less semi-sharp edge.  Not a big issue.  Compared to the ways I mount my AUG, I'd be fine if the fore-arm were actually a bit shorter as well, although it seems about right for those liking the 'straight-arm c-clamp' type of hold.  I'd have no concerns for a light, light bipod, or even BUIS, although will see once I put the Atlas on it how much it will really flex under bipod pre-load.

No concerns, as in zero, on the port covers coming off unintentionally, between the hooks up front + fairly high spring pressure in rear.  Not sure if I could remove easily with gloves, but maybe, and definitely with a spent case.  I'm more concerned about if the unique ejection will work over time w/out fault.

That mag release is... STIFF.  I'd be fine if it were 1/2" lower and closer towards the trigger.  Seems the 'pressure' is from the rear pivot spring, as without a mag in it, you can press the release manually and it's stiff, combined with the front release not-broken-in.  Probably not a real issue if/when things loosen up.

The trigger, out of box, 1/8th slop, 1/8th take-up to break, then maybe 3/16" post-break.  Manual reset (keeping trigger down, charge rifle, let up on trigger) is around 1/4" with a notable 'click' on reset.  Doesn't feel bad, but doesn't feel like 4.6# either.  I think someone mentioned it having a Glock-like trigger and I can sort of see that (not a NY trigger, maybe like their 5# bar).  Not awful, not great, not feeling like 5# but will grab my trigger pull tool tomorrow, and want to give the rifle a cleaning/re-lube first as well.

And, of course... Wink

(MDR is waiting for it's own Xmas presents - namely an optic mount and optic.. )

HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 11:28:56 PM »

thanks for the write-up rtp.  always nice to read someone's opinion on a new product.  and i'd probably want a stiff mag release over one that easily depresses.  i can't speak for other owners but the mag release on my fs2000 is still stiff as hell to this day along with having to literally hang from the rifle to pull a mag out...lol...you get the idea.  at this point it's safe to say it's a quality rifle with many stating as much along with photos to back it up.  i'd like to set one up with a leupold mark 6 3-18x44 with an accu-tac for bench shooting.
JesseJames38

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 12:30:20 AM »

Pretty,   I seen there was a MDR on gunbroker today that sold for 3300  NIB with the desert tech optic and over the barrel suppressor handguard.   

As for me I am still waiting on a e-mail/phone call from EuroOptic saying that mine has arrived.   So far I have 6, 25 round pmags lined up for it. a Hartman MH1 optic ready to go.  Think I am going to try dabbling into a magnifier just have no idea which ones are good.  So far leaning towards the vortex as they seem to have a decent review of them.    AS for a sling I will just get a MS1 magpul sling  and buy one of the M lock front hooks for the hand guard and toss a sling swivel on the back QD point.   Down the road I may see if I can find something in the 8 to 15x mag for the high range.   

But here is me hoping that before the next year I will receive mine.  Maybe I will be lucky and get one of the milled ejectors/ chutes 

Jesse.
INV136
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 10:45:43 AM »

That's nice! Three year warranty is also a bonus as I was expecting only a one year warranty.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 04:46:47 PM »

thanks for the write-up rtp.  always nice to read someone's opinion on a new product.  and i'd probably want a stiff mag release over one that easily depresses.  i can't speak for other owners but the mag release on my fs2000 is still stiff as hell to this day along with having to literally hang from the rifle to pull a mag out...lol...you get the idea.  at this point it's safe to say it's a quality rifle with many stating as much along with photos to back it up.  i'd like to set one up with a leupold mark 6 3-18x44 with an accu-tac for bench shooting.

I came very close to picking up a BF deal on a Leupold Mk8 1.1-8, but decided to go with the DMR2 for load workup.  I want to see what SHOT brings, as it seems Nightforce may be bringing out a 1-8 (although unsure if they will ever make a solid reticle for FFP), GPO has an interesting 1-8x FFP coming out in March-ish with German glass, and failing nothing else, the Minox ZP8 or maybe a Trijicon 1-8x mil/mil. 

My only real concern at this point is reliability and the 'oddity' mentioned RE: charging handle seeming to not always lock solidly.  And of course - how does it shoot/accuracy? 

Ordered a tan Urban ERT sling w/QDs - sadly, without a discount code so somewhat $ but I really like their wider webbing (more like a seatbelt strap).

Seems to be a 'race' at the moment - whether or not ammo + optic will show up for this weekend or not. 
With the short-ass barrel, I expect fully to 'need' a forward-facing FH like the Pig, or something - not sure what yet, but not worth buying it until I see how it shoots - in the worst case (it's not a shooter or not reliable), I'll use the ammo and the rest of the gear ordered, but don't need another .308 FH/brake.

Playing around with the rifle, I think I made the right move in not going with the Inforce.  Undoubtedly it could be made to work depending on hand positioning, but I think the TLR-1 HL with remote switch will work well. 
readr1
^

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 09:01:37 PM »

With the short-ass barrel, I expect fully to 'need' a forward-facing FH like the Pig, or something - not sure what yet, but not worth buying it until I see how it shoots - in the worst case (it's not a shooter or not reliable), I'll use the ammo and the rest of the gear ordered, but don't need another .308 FH/brake.

Just a heads for everyone else, the standard hand guard is a very tight fit with a SilencerCo ASR muzzle brake on there. So if you want  something like the "Pig" you will have to take it off the barrel before you can break the rifle down, and you might not be able to get to the gas adjust knob without removal.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 09:09:05 PM »

Just a heads for everyone else, the standard hand guard is a very tight fit with a SilencerCo ASR muzzle brake on there. So if you want  something like the "Pig" you will have to take it off the barrel before you can break the rifle down, and you might not be able to get to the gas adjust knob without removal.

Good info, likely saved me some $. Will check measurements before I buy.
Chief Master

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 11:15:43 PM »

Playing around with the rifle, I think I made the right move in not going with the Inforce.  Undoubtedly it could be made to work depending on hand positioning, but I think the TLR-1 HL with remote switch will work well.

rtp, why do you think the Inforce WML would be a worse choice than a Streamlight with a switch? I was planning on getting A WML for my MDR (whenever it arrives), so I'm curious what you noticed as you played around with it. Thanks for the write-up!
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 12:48:31 AM »

Playing around with the rifle, I think I made the right move in not going with the Inforce.  Undoubtedly it could be made to work depending on hand positioning, but I think the TLR-1 HL with remote switch will work well.

rtp, why do you think the Inforce WML would be a worse choice than a Streamlight with a switch? I was planning on getting A WML for my MDR (whenever it arrives), so I'm curious what you noticed as you played around with it. Thanks for the write-up!

Depends on your support hand positioning really.  On an AR even a straight-armed or nearly so C clamp can still leave some rail in front of your hand, where one could position the WML very nicely.  On the MDR, if you prefer that support hand positioning (which you may not), your hand position is effectively 'out of rail' to the front.

On my AUG, I suppose I used the 'Tavor multiple points of contact' before the Tavor was out..meaning my support hand usually cradles the receiver and front section of trigger guard, elbow closer in for stability.  Using that positioning, my light switch is on the right side of the stock for nearly perfect positioning.

Not sure exactly where my natural grip will wind up on the MDR yet... Will need some blasting time, a few matches (likely not until moving back to a 1-N optic), to sort out versus prone higher magnification playing around.  Moving the support hand rearwards a bit is comfortable enough so maybe a fully-forward top mounted WML, possibly with a lower rail mounted stop, would work out well.  For casual shooting, none of it matters... and while matches and training classes aren't the same as targets shooting back, you still get adrenaline going and tend to go with less precise motor movements, e.g. Cupped support hand to receiver, slide back until feel front of handguard, close grip (AUG) or support hand to hand guard loosely, slide to stop, close grip (MDR example). Either one is under a second in real time, without 'fiddling' to remember something like 'oh s***, need the light, where is it again,' and needing to reposition because adrenaline and gross motor movements didn't wind up with it 'where your hands went.'

Hope that makes sense..typing on a tablet blows chunks and won't really know for sure until some time spent in non-slow fire, drills, etc.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 01:37:06 PM by rtp » Logged
miniwini
New Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 11:41:54 AM »

4 years? Omg you are kidding me Cheesy hehe

Chief Master

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 01:31:03 PM »

Makes sense, thanks!
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 01:46:51 PM »

Makes sense, thanks!

For a visual, you can check out coldboremiracle 's latest YT vid, as he moves his support hand around a fair amount.  You'll see him at one point C-clamp like showing you're 'out of rail up front' as I tried to describe, as well as more 'relaxed' hand positioning where the WML may work out well.  YMMV as always.

https://youtu.be/xULQ05QTfQo

Just adding notes as I think of them randomly. 
There's a fair amount of white lithium grease-like lube out of the box, at least on the scissor ejector mechanism.  Maybe CBM will weigh in on 'remove and replace' or leave for some reason for break-in, otherwise I'll probably remove it and replace with my preferred grease-lube.

Still waiting on my optic (and ammo!) to ship, which is pissing me off, as it means unlikely to get to meaningful shooting this weekend unless magic happens soon. :-/  From several videos and looking at the MDR, you can probably go with rings vs a one-piece mount, although in some CBM videos and/or other pics, the front ring on various one-piece mounts is pretty close or seemingly at the last receiver pic rail slot, so it's possible some longer-eye-relief optics may still need a one-piece mount...guessing note many.

The receiver is steel, and fairly thick at that, so I'd assume the receiver itself is unlikely to exhibit any flex if using rings..so will sort once I have the optic and temporary mount in hand and likely go to rings.
Articlion

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 02:06:50 PM »

"The receiver is steel, and fairly thick at that"
No wonder why we are in 8 pound land using steel for the receiver i thought they were going to by aluminum but i guess that is another change that no one was made aware of till now.  Huh?
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 10:31:46 PM »

Somewhat bummed.  Optic still not shipped from OP, and looks like ammo arrives sometime Sat which was shooting day.  M-lok rail section to mount the Atlas also maybe for Sat...by 8pm.  Had a backup 3-9 optic but w/out ammo it's looking like will wait for ammo, optic etc. for next weekend. 

I know it - first world problems...lots of people waiting on MDRs and was looking forward to putting it through some places this weekend.  If the ammo makes it before 2pm, may still go for it, otherwise will just break it down, clean and lube, measure trigger pull and get it ready for the next weekend. Meh.
pwillie

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 04:35:30 PM »

Somewhat bummed.  Optic still not shipped from OP, and looks like ammo arrives sometime Sat which was shooting day.  M-lok rail section to mount the Atlas also maybe for Sat...by 8pm.  Had a backup 3-9 optic but w/out ammo it's looking like will wait for ammo, optic etc. for next weekend. 

I know it - first world problems...lots of people waiting on MDRs and was looking forward to putting it through some places this weekend.  If the ammo makes it before 2pm, may still go for it, otherwise will just break it down, clean and lube, measure trigger pull and get it ready for the next weekend. Meh.
Ordered a scope from them yesterday only to get this today, "Estimated to ship within 7-18 days." Guess it wasn't in stock. Sad

No local retailers with .308?  Not sure I could stand waiting another week.   Excited!
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 10:47:39 PM »

Ordered a scope from them yesterday only to get this today, "Estimated to ship within 7-18 days." Guess it wasn't in stock. Sad

No local retailers with .308?  Not sure I could stand waiting another week.   Excited!

Yeah, lol - I think I've been burned/delayed on every optics order from Optics Planet, while a 'maybe it'll show up one day' order for an OOS AUG AAC flash hider showed up within days, 

I've got some family stuff coming up so as annoying as it is, would rather go out for the day next weekend with the rifle set up and full set of ammo in hand.  Otherwise I'm limited to blaster ammo, my SMK175 BTHP loads and maybe a massively overpriced single box of match ammo...if I can find it, no bipod mount, etc..and it may be multiple weeks before I get it out again.. Seriously frustrating but would rather go with ammo selection in hand and spend the day breaking it in how ID plan Ed.

Meanwhile, I've got to eat some crow as I mid-size, definitely an AL upper receiver, not steel. Could have worn I'd read it in the manual, was surprised but didn't have a magnet handy.

I did send a few Qs to DT via their support form late last night, mostly trivial but also noting the charging handle behavior.  They called back twice today but was in work meetings so called back..wound up reaching Ryan, who was pretty helpful.  Sounds like DT or he has seen a few rifle CHs as I described, including a new one for a demo shoot, which broke in nicely over a day of spring before a bunch of folks got hands on.  So will go ahead and strip/re-lube it tomorrow, run 100+ rounds through it and see if it sorts itself.  That was the only issue of possible significant concern I had beyond the usual - performance and reliability.  So a solid CS experience so far, hopefully not needed 'for real' in the future but was a good experience.

Chatted about breakin and lube vs grease, which of course can be a near-religious debate for some, thus no specifics in the manual.

It seems remotely possible the ammo and bipod mount may show up before too late tomorrow if not the optic so will see.
If somehow
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length