Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2018, 01:13:56 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  Which optic mounts for the MDR?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Which optic mounts for the MDR?  (Read 2510 times)
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: November 26, 2017, 03:24:55 PM »

I know only a small # of folks have them, but what mounts are you using?
AR-type one piece or rings, and which heights/optics, and are they working out for you RE: natural cheek-weld positioning?

Personally, I prefer rings or lighter non-QD one-pieces, but unsure what height works out on the MDR, and will need to mount initially a 34mm tube DMR2...then possibly later moving to a 1-8x but still likely 34mm tube.

Anyone played with different ring or mount heights on an MDR yet?

ETA - had to go dig up some MDR pics.  Unlikely I can use rings on it, and only pics I've seen are AR-like mounts.  Guess I'll be going that route...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 04:03:13 PM by rtp » Logged
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 05:18:03 PM »

Replying to myself - looks like from coldboremiracle's video rings might work, depending on the optic, but picked up an Aero Precision extended 34mm mount for now, as a 'solid but inexpensive enough' option to not worry about it if I wind up going to rings (if possible w/optic chosen) or want to go lower or higher on the optic mount.  Aero Precision 34mm extended mount is ~4oz.  Difficult to get info on base to optic centerline, but saw 1.6" somewhere (mailed aero to confirm). 

For reference, a Warne XSkel is 1.44", Burris PEPR is 1.35", ADM AD-recon is 1.55".

For $60, it'll work for now. 

rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 01:52:27 PM »

Got confirmation from Aero Precision their mount is 1.5" base to centerline, so in the 'standard AR' realm. 

Looking at other vids and pics as I'm still waiting on my optic to show...while most are using AR-style one-piece mounts, the forward ring is rearward of or aligned with the forward receiver pic slot, so rings would likely work for most if not all optics.  Will look at swapping to rings later.
Ascinder
^

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 02:09:20 PM »

US optics are preparing to do a run of their UMQDS mounts. They are 1 piece QD, very heavy duty, and most importantly, are repeatable. I have a USO MR-10 sitting in them right now and they work fantastically. They aren't cheap though. On my SRS, they sit the optic right at the height I want it. Once the MDR shows up(if it ever does), this setup will be getting moved to it and the SRS will be getting a Vortex Razor HD gen II in a Spuhr mount. The only reason I didn't get another UMQDS for the Vortex was because they were not available. There may be a Spuhr mount up for sale in the near future here now...
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 11:57:35 PM »

So good thing I have a one piece mild cantilever mount coming. 
Pulled the ERS from my bolt gun with Badger rings, and at least with an optic laid out like the ERS, rings aren't ideal - I'd like to be another 2" forward. 

On the 'good' side, my rings are fairly high at 1.275" as I had planned to do an XLR chassis - they're not really high enough for the MDR and my cheek weld, but a slight cantilever AR height 1.5"-ish is probably right on.

I've got an Aero Precision Ultralight coming to pair up to the DMR2 on the way, but may find a used Spuhr, Aadmount or buy a Seekins one-piece..dunno yet, need to make sure it's shooter first.

sampitt

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 02:39:45 AM »

I know only a small # of folks have them, but what mounts are you using?
AR-type one piece or rings, and which heights/optics, and are they working out for you RE: natural cheek-weld positioning?

Personally, I prefer rings or lighter non-QD one-pieces, but unsure what height works out on the MDR, and will need to mount initially a 34mm tube DMR2...then possibly later moving to a 1-8x but still likely 34mm tube.

Anyone played with different ring or mount heights on an MDR yet?

ETA - had to go dig up some MDR pics.  Unlikely I can use rings on it, and only pics I've seen are AR-like mounts.  Guess I'll be going that route...

I purchased a Kinetic Development Group 30mm sidelok mount.  I believe they manufacture on for 34mm as well.
Ascinder
^

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 10:28:19 PM »

So good thing I have a one piece mild cantilever mount coming. 
Pulled the ERS from my bolt gun with Badger rings, and at least with an optic laid out like the ERS, rings aren't ideal - I'd like to be another 2" forward. 

On the 'good' side, my rings are fairly high at 1.275" as I had planned to do an XLR chassis - they're not really high enough for the MDR and my cheek weld, but a slight cantilever AR height 1.5"-ish is probably right on.

I've got an Aero Precision Ultralight coming to pair up to the DMR2 on the way, but may find a used Spuhr, Aadmount or buy a Seekins one-piece..dunno yet, need to make sure it's shooter first.

Aren't you concerned moving the scope any further forward is going to put the glass right where the muzzle brake is dumping?
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 11:10:07 PM »

It's got a sunshade on it which I can remove if need be.  The ERS makes the MDR look tiny or vice versa.  I'm pretty sure the DMR2 is the same length as the ERS in the Pic but will check.  I'd rather have the sunshade get a bit of carbon on it vs the glass but will see how it works out.

Note the glass is actually just a bit in front of the E in ERS on the front bell, so I expect will be fine but will monitor to see if it heats up once moved forward.. Not worried about some carbon on the bottom of the shade but don't want to cook any o-rings from heat transfer either.  Can always trim the sunshade a bit if really need to.

Shooting it today the optic absolutely need to go forward and higher.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 12:25:58 AM by rtp » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length