Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2018, 11:27:41 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Kel-Tec RFB, RDB, M-43 (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  New RFB
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New RFB  (Read 6515 times)
Spike Bull

« on: November 25, 2017, 08:05:40 AM »

I just purchased my first bullpup on auction through Gunbroker.

I wont have it for a few weeks but I intend to put a Primary Arms 3x ACSS scope on it and an Inforce 800 lumen light.

Any other suggestions?
Desert Kraut

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 01:32:45 PM »

While I am sure there are plenty of RFB owners on this site that can give you some great ideas, you might want to check out the Kel Tec forum as well. You have one of the better .308 bullpups out there IMHO. I am opting for the M17S from K&M Arms as soon as I have saved enough pennies. The RFB was my first choice but the timing and opportunity to buy one just never jelled.

Once you get your gas setting dialed in, it should run like a Swiss watch. The lifetime warranty is great too. The majority of Kel Tec owners have had a great experience with the customer service when they did need it as well. Happy shooting.
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 01:42:06 PM »

Get the cheek rest from Kel-tec. That steel receiver isn't a kind host. Other than that and a few mags, you should be good to go.
Spike Bull

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 02:14:50 PM »

Desert, thanks! The M17S is really nice and I almost went for one myself!

Clarke, I was not aware that they made such a cheek plate!

Anyone who is familiar with their product line, extras, accesories, or after market manufacturers, please post it!
Spike Bull

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 03:24:52 PM »

I ordered the kydex cheek plate, the only one I saw there, and plan to cover it with Grace b****athane if need be. Anyone try padding one? Does the kydex need softening?
odie64

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 08:18:08 PM »

I have a Kydex cheek guard on my RFB and it if fine just as it is .
LaFlyer44

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 01:24:03 AM »

I am a first time owner myself and ordered the cheek rest an extra magazine, and hard case. As for optics I caught a Sig Bravo 4 on sale at Cabelas and am happy with it so far. I really like the fov of the Sig and the eye relief is a bit better than the acog. I will know more about it in a thousand rounds or so.

All advice on this site has been very helpful. Much appreciated.

Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 02:25:52 AM »

Keep us updated on the Bravo4. There is so little feedback, and it has always intrigued me.
LaFlyer44

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 10:49:24 PM »

The Bravo 4 is great the RFB is going back I'm done with trying to get it to work.
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 10:56:37 PM »

The Bravo 4 is great the RFB is going back I'm done with trying to get it to work.

That sucks, man.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 10:58:49 PM by Clarke-Sensei » Logged
LaFlyer44

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 05:05:31 AM »

I truly wanted the rifle to work for me and have done exactly as the manufacturer and experts say to do. The bolt locks back with as much gas bypass as possible even after cleaning the gas system and lubing as described by Ronmar (who's great btw) to no avail. While I expected to have to dial in the rifle to match my ammo initially I did not expect that it would fail and be unadjustable at all.

I cleaned her thoroughly one more time and will try again tomorrow to make a go of it, but plan on putting the rifle on consignment if there are any more problems.

Spike Bull

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 08:33:34 AM »

This rifle is fantastic!

I took it right out of the box and put a few hundred rounds through it with zero issues! The cheek plate is plenty, the gas setting remains as it came from the factory (out 9 clicks), and it is cycling perfectly and driving tacks!

The Primary Arms 3X scope with ACSS is excellent! Very clear glass, very sharp reticle, great lit (though I wish it had off settings between each level). After sighting in I removed it, reversed the base and moved it forward a couple grooves to fine tune the eye relief and it came right back to zero!!

My only complaint is that at 11 pounds with a full magazine and the scope this rifle is a pig!

My second choice for optic was the Romeo4. The Sig academy and store is only 15 miles from me and I have trained there many times. They added the beautiful new retail space a few years ago.!!!

I broke the RFB all down yesterday with just a round for a tool and it is a marvel of ingenuity! So simple and clean! The hardest part was removing and replacing the Kydex cheekplate.

The lube video was right on and the weapon shot flawlessly when put back together.

I am a believer!
LaFlyer44

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 06:42:03 PM »

I'm glad your results are better than my own. I thought I had things going my way regarding the gas system until the magazine kept falling out and would not lock in place.

Curious to your gas settings. Did you go through the process of setting it up for your ammo or go as it came from the factory? I ask because at plus 9 my result is not close to being set to how it is supposed to operate.

Irregardless I'm happy to hear that you are satisfied with your rifle and optics. I can definitely give a positive endorsement for the Bravo 4 if nothing else.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 03:42:45 PM »

The two varying results you see listed by two users have been the bugaboo for the RFB.  I'm one of those who has a GenII that has been flawless.  I'm not sure why we often see one that doesn't cycle reliably regardless of gas adjustment.  I think there is more going on here that involves user error and/or ammo issues, but a rifle at this level should probably not have this many negative issue even with poor setup by the owner or the ammo selection.  There's another potential issue with the RFB...magazine options...more on that later.

That said, I've had nothing but good service out of mine.  I've shot nothing but military ball stuff from Winchester and PMC 147g along with Federal Gold Medal 168g BTHP.  These are very different ammos, but my RFB does well with both with very little gas adjustment between the 147g and 168g bullets.

The only additions I made were the Kydex cheek rest...almost a must IMO...and a muzzle brake.  The RFB is a very soft recoiling rifle IMO, and the muzzle brake makes it smoother for quicker followup shots with the red dot.  On the optics, I feel the .308 bullpup can fill an usually wide array of uses for a .308.  With a muzzle brake and red dot, this gun can fill a somewhat closer quarters role due to its compact size and smooth recoil.  However, one doesn't want to throw out the bigger caliber, longer range effectiveness either.  This is why I went with a Burris 3X9 scope with the Burris Fastfire III red dot mounted on top of one of the scope clamp caps.  This gives you something akin to the Burris MTAC setup that has a 1-4 scope with a Fastfire III red dot on top.  The 3X9 scope gives you a better range sight to take advantage of the .308 caliber...but...you still have a red dot that works great with the compact RFB.

Oh...another heartburn issue of the RFB is magazine availability which can dramatically affect feeding reliability...which is often mistakenly blamed on the gas adjustment.  When higher quality, true FAL mags were readily available this wasn't as big an issue.  I solved this by going to Moses Machine FAL mags which are extremely high quality.  The problem here is that the guy is out of business, so you have to find these mags on the open market.  Personally I had very good service out of the DSA 20-round mags that have the plastic followers, however, it seems you never know exactly which version of this magazine you'll end up with when you order...there appear to be at least 3 or 4 slight differences in these mags.  The DSA's with the metal followers seem unreliable in the RFB.
LaFlyer44

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 01:14:25 AM »

I've decided not to give up on it yet, mainly because I am so damn hard headed and the other is that I see some progress in the process of getting the rifle on task. Keltec is a small company and with that comes good and bad in dealing with them,  the good is the innovation and the bad the inability to put out a consistent product.
I am making no excuses for what I have encountered with the rifle, but see enough upside to continue on the path and see what happens.
I loathe when I see negative things said constantly on YouTube about any firearm and try to be positive in my approach always. I hope to report on better days ahead.

Spike Bull

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 04:40:16 PM »

After about 150 rounds I have adjusted my RFB. At 40 turns the bolt failed to locked back on rounds one and three but did lock back on rounds two and four so I proceeded to crank the gas knob in 5 clicks at a time and tried two or three rounds at each stop and when even one did not lock back I cranked in another 5. Right now it sits right at 20 clicks out and consistently cycles all three of the brands of ammo I tried.

I went back on Tuesday and shot some more, trying less gas but I had to come back to 20 clicks out to get perfect reliability.

I am impressed with the accuracy and reliability of this RFB. I only have three factory mags and will look for some more as I go, hopefully I stumble upon some nice FN FAL steel mags!

Good luck with your projects gentlemen!
LaFlyer44

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 10:54:34 PM »

I'm glad you are having good results. I have officially given up on the rifle, but will not sale it for want of keeping my own good name and not being guilty of knowingly distributing junk. Keltec can go to hell.
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 12:49:02 AM »

I'm glad you are having good results. I have officially given up on the rifle, but will not sale it for want of keeping my own good name and not being guilty of knowingly distributing junk. Keltec can go to hell.

Did you even send it back to Kel-Tec?
Spike Bull

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 06:25:22 PM »

I have hundreds of rounds through it and have backed the gas out to 25 clicks. It still goes bang everytime with any of 5 types of ammo!!!!!
My arm is sore though. Not from recoil, from the weight!!!
Berkley

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 02:35:54 AM »

Gosh Iíd sure like to have a look at it before you give up completely.  I discovered one issue that was nagging mine to death and since fixing its run like a champ.   Itís truly an amazing rifle, canít imagine any 308 shooting softer than this one does.   So balanced and smooth. 
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length