Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2018, 10:27:27 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Kel-Tec RFB, RDB, M-43 (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  Engraving/stamping the Gas Adjust Knob?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Engraving/stamping the Gas Adjust Knob?  (Read 3106 times)
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: November 25, 2017, 03:22:22 AM »

I was wondering about this. The gas adjust knob on my RDB is unmarked and it would seem like such an easy thing for Keltec to stamp numbers into the gas wheel so the shooter could confidently know which setting he/she is on just by looking.

Since I don't think Keltec is going to do this, nor is any aftermarket modder likely to produce some. Could I take the rifle to my friendly gunsmith to stamp or engrave the gas adjust knob with numbers so that I can quickly reference what setting I'm on? I'm too nervous about fiddling with it because I won't be able to readily get back to my preset setting without counting clicks, and I'm super OCD like that.
st381

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 02:24:57 AM »

You can have your gunsmith do anything you want with enough money, but.....Just put some tick marks on it with a blue, red, or silver sharpie. The heat will not bother it. You could also use enamel based nail polish to put some witness marks on the adjustment knob. You are over thinking it, turn clockwise until it stops (full open) and then 5-7 clicks counterclockwise for operation and put witness marks at these two positions.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 02:27:27 AM by st381 » Logged
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 04:50:37 AM »

I feel like that would leave too much room for error. With only two dots, you would not know which way to turn for closed or open. Also, without each click having its own numbered marking, you could never be sure that you are not sliding into a new click just by rough handling or something. Also you won’t have as much room to play with those settings outside of those two specifically. Numbers would also allow you to know which setting you are at if you are working with different loads. Honestly, KT set my gas setting at the factory after I sent it in to get the updated bolt, and I havn’t fiddled with it since out of fear or losing my place. They did tell me it was 5, but I havn’t counted clicks to verify.
st381

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 11:30:59 AM »

Sounds like you want what you want but with over 50 adjustment settings it might be hard to fit all those little numbers on the knob...jk. Self applied tick marks can be very accurate if you use a fine modelers paint brush and you could use different colors for different loads.  I guess I don’t worry about it because I only feed my RDB 55gr .223 brass cases wolf gold, minute of man is good enough for me.  I do like to turn down the gas when I shoot suppressed, 2 clicks counterclockwise and I’m good.  There really isn’t a lot of “adjustment” room except for the 8 clicks from full open. KT should reduce how much adjustment is built into the system with only a 10-12 click adjustment range from full open to full closed. 
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 10:16:55 PM »

I might try the paint with the modelers brush. How do I indicate which direction (clockwise/counterclockwise) is fully open/closed?
st381

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 11:09:13 PM »

Red for closed, white for normal operation, green for red maybe.  The top of the rail by the gas block has little arrows to tell you what direction is open and close. You could had an arrow at the end of the tick mark with a turn direction indicator.
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 12:36:40 AM »

This seems like a good idea. Where should I paint the tic marks? Like, I will see the painted dots on the gas knob, but how do I know where to put them? Should I paint corresponding dots on the very top of the barrel and the bottom of the knob?
st381

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 06:30:33 PM »

Mark a groove in the “knurling” and carry over to the front. Be sure to prep by degreasing as much as possible. You could even color fill the holes on the know if they lined up to your liking.
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 03:12:09 AM »

I'm not sure I understand. Which groove to carry over to the "front?" I'm not sure how this is supposed to look.
Spike Bull

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 10:27:57 AM »

I commonly color engraved markings on bows and guns with nail polish. Simply spread some into and around the engravement, let it sit till almost dry and clean off the over spread with some alcohol.

Here is a link to some methods, pick one!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=color+engravements

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length