Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 07:50:34 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR
| | |-+  MDR allows (ex) owner to shoot 6.5CM
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MDR allows (ex) owner to shoot 6.5CM  (Read 1538 times)
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: November 07, 2017, 08:40:52 PM »

First and foremost I'm back now that I fulfil the requirements of posting in this forum............................................

not owning a MDR!

Traded it for a LMT MWS with a 16" 7.62mm lightweight barrel and a 20" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.

Main reason I moved the MDR is I don't like owning Unicorns. LMT already have barrels in multiple calibers, aftermarket support is there in furniture, triggers etc.

My MDR functioned fine, no issues with mag release, trigger was VERY ordinary for the bench but fine for blasting. It didn't like Gen 2 PMAGs and during the approx 200 rounds fired there were 3 failure to ejects which required the port cover to be removed and the casing pried out. 2 were surplus milspec and the other was Federal Gold Match.

Look forward to be a participating member of the MDR sub-forum again.

AE

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:34:57 PM by Aussie E » Logged
Ditcher
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 10:29:08 PM »

Nice! Sounds like you made out pretty good on the trade.
Whoops

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 10:06:16 PM »

Lol

Did you think the cases that failed to eject were teething pains that would go away with use or would work have to be done to it/is it a design issue?
newguy2k3

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 10:33:20 PM »

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my MWS. Sweet rifles. Only issue is the factory barrels are overgassed with a suppressor and they're damn near impossible to do anything with because of lmt's proprietary pressed on gas block.
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 07:28:43 PM »

Lol

Did you think the cases that failed to eject were teething pains that would go away with use or would work have to be done to it/is it a design issue?

The day it happened it was 115degF in the shade, maybe the chute or casings expanded? I was out there for about 4 hours firing different 7.62 rifles with the ammo and guns mostly in the shade. Actual firing was in direct sunlight off the ground (bipod and rear bag) in probably 10 minute strings between allowing the rifle to cool in the 115degF shade.

I for one would have been the first to buy a standard ejection port cover if DT or an aftermarket one was available. The forward eject wasn't important to me, not ejecting the last empty casing until you changed mags and released the bolt took getting used to as well as the three malfunctions which required disassemble to clear was enough for me to not have trusted it as a go to defense weapon, with a standard AR ejection port door or a tighter machined port to have an open port that uses the bolt to keep out foreign matter like an ACR or Tavor I would have trusted it.

I also realized I wasn't going to hike a 7.62 battle rifle and a bunch of magazines around and wanted more of a static designated marksman / bench rifle. I think the versatility of the currently available accessories and barrels make the LMT a better DMR today, not to say when the MDR has the numbers in consumers hands to interest manufacturers to make products for it the MDR may be a better choice. Not today though.

AE

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:42:01 PM by Aussie E » Logged
OldFamilyRed

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 02:02:56 PM »

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my MWS. Sweet rifles. Only issue is the factory barrels are overgassed with a suppressor and they're damn near impossible to do anything with because of lmt's proprietary pressed on gas block.

That sucks. I've got no love for unsuppressed .308.
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 09:24:57 PM »

Looks like it moved on again.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/Desert-Tech-MDR-308/137-1717665/

AE
maleante
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 01:31:20 AM »

That speaks volumes.
Kublah

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 01:42:56 PM »

Does it? What does it say to you? What conclusion are you able to determine from within the context of what both owners have said?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:45:07 PM by Kublah » Logged
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 10:42:13 PM »

Does it? What does it say to you? What conclusion are you able to determine from within the context of what both owners have said?

That it's a nice rifle but two owners decided in 200 or less rounds fired that it wasn't a keeper? Maybe?

AE
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:22:30 AM by Aussie E » Logged
Kublah

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 10:11:10 AM »

Thank you for your first hand response.
whiskey91lima

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »

That it's a nice rifle but two owners decided in 200 or less rounds fired that it wasn't a keeper? Maybe?

AE

Or maybe they realized that they can turn a profit on the gun and aren't as eager to own one asap?
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 02:12:47 PM »

AE

Or maybe they realized that they can turn a profit on the gun and aren't as eager to own one asap?

Who knows, but two people hocking off the same rifle after somewhat minimal ownership doesn't bode well no matter how you look at it.
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 08:17:29 PM »

AE

My deal was a trade, pretty fair maybe a little in my favor due to the lack of availability of the MDR at the time. The other deal was in my opinion way in the favor of the guy with the MDR.

The same member that has it now had contacted me when I had it for trade and made the same offer but I was looking for a multi-cal shooter and his gun was another unicorn like the MDR. He wanted it really bad so hopefully he hangs on to it. Not a bad gun but it had more value as trade bait than owning/shooting it.

Just had a 18" 5R SS barrel show up for the LMT so it's almost done. Have the 16" lite weight chrome lined barrel it came with and a 20" 6.5 Creedmoor SS barrel as well.Changing barrels take less than 30 seconds.

With the Barret BORS on it I can change the ballistics on the scope with a push of a button. Coupled with a Radius range finder the process all built into the platform is:

Laz it
Dial it
Send it

Pretty slick. So far I have only bolted it all together and unfortunately due to my upcoming festive season scheduled it will probably be mid to late January before I might have a chance to shoot. But I am looking forward to it.

AE
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:28:33 PM by Aussie E » Logged
Kublah

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 10:09:37 PM »

Thank you for clearing this up. Wild and baseless speculation runs wild on this forum.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length