Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 12:07:19 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  Removing NJ Compliant Muzzle Device
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Removing NJ Compliant Muzzle Device  (Read 455 times)
Kags1969
New Posting Member

« on: November 01, 2017, 01:30:07 PM »

I just got a smoking deal on a NJ/MA Compliant X95 - 1200 at Cabela's.   I live in Texas and believe that I will want to remove the long muzzle brake and put on a standard flash hider.   Has anyone here done it?   

I am assuming it is pinned and welded.    If so I have a couple of options: 

1.) Remove barrel and send to Adco. 
2.) Cut off the device with a Dremel, similar to AR pinned muzzle removal.

Thanks
Leonitus

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 09:20:28 PM »

Do you have the rifle in hand?
Can you see the weld?
unsungboxer

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 09:40:51 PM »

buy it!  Figure out muzzle removal later.    its either welded or silver soldiered! but you can have a gunshop undo it.
Kags1969
New Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 09:50:46 PM »

I did buy the gun, but I don't have it in hand. Cabelas is shipping it to the store, so maybe next week I can investigate closer.  I was hoping someone had done it and could share dome sage advise.  Thanks for the replies!
Leonitus

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 08:18:36 AM »

I did buy the gun, but I don't have it in hand. Cabelas is shipping it to the store, so maybe next week I can investigate closer.  I was hoping someone had done it and could share dome sage advise.  Thanks for the replies!

Ive done it many times. Its rather easy, but you need to have patience. A Dremel cut off disk can be used. go very slowly with barrel secured in a vice. You will end up getting to the point where you can see the pin and the drilled hole in the device. At this point, you will need to have even more patience. The pin will eventually loosen and you will be able to work the pin loose. The device can be removed at this point. Clean up the threads with a thread file or die. 
Grizz

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 08:27:35 PM »

Ive done it many times. Its rather easy, but you need to have patience. A Dremel cut off disk can be used. go very slowly with barrel secured in a vice. You will end up getting to the point where you can see the pin and the drilled hole in the device. At this point, you will need to have even more patience. The pin will eventually loosen and you will be able to work the pin loose. The device can be removed at this point. Clean up the threads with a thread file or die. 

Was the brake added by a NJ dealer/smith or is it a factory brake?

Different dealers.smith in NJ attach them differently, some just pin, some pin/silver solder, some pin/epoxy and there may be other options...

Take your time with the dremel and maybe heat gun if epoxy was used. worse case you will need to replace the barrel
Kags1969
New Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 09:02:26 PM »

I think it is a factory barrel, its coming from Cabela's so I doubt that they are adding brakes and such.  Its an 18" barrel, so I have an extra 1.5", so I figure I could just get the stock barrel cut and threaded back to 16.5.  Thanks for the reply's.
Leonitus

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 06:24:18 AM »

I think it is a factory barrel, its coming from Cabela's so I doubt that they are adding brakes and such.  Its an 18" barrel, so I have an extra 1.5", so I figure I could just get the stock barrel cut and threaded back to 16.5.  Thanks for the reply's.

ADCO would be a good shop to have this cut, crowned, and retreaded. Or, simply sell your barrel and buy a new 16.5
Kags1969
New Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »

Is there a market for a NJ factory barrel?
xpdchief

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 04:43:23 PM »

If there is, it's probably in New Jersey.  Grin

Respectfully submitted,
Brian
Leonitus

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 08:16:27 AM »

Is there a market for a NJ factory barrel?

At the end of the day, its just a barrel
Could be a good deal for someone willing to remove the device and have a
spare or chop for an SBR
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length