Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 08:10:27 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  How are you guys "slinging" your bullpup?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: How are you guys "slinging" your bullpup?  (Read 1353 times)
Shogun

« on: October 23, 2017, 11:24:00 PM »

I purchased a savy sniper sling for my X95. I like everything about it's design & how it's used with the exception of it being wrapped around me.
 Maybe I'm just old school but I really don't like my weapons hanging off my body at all times. If I need to use both hands I'm used to slinging it over my head.
I've always used  a "regular" two point sling. (anchored at the butt & forend) What type/ of slings are you guys using?
jdchen0407

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 10:17:37 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP5dUz1hsaw

Pretty much how I do it.
Shogun

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:42:17 PM »

That's my issue though. I don't like the sling running across my back or across my chest.  I suppose the savy sniper just isn't for me.
Leonitus

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 01:31:45 PM »

Hot link for above....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP5dUz1hsaw
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:33:16 PM by Leonitus » Logged
ptrthgr8

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 02:53:20 PM »

Went with an Armageddon Gear carbine sling for my Tavor.  Liked it so much I ended up getting the same sling (different color) for my recently acquired PWS MK116 Mod2.

I'm not a huge fan of weapons dangling all the time, but I've found the Armageddon Gear slings to be comfortable to shoot with the sling running over your shoulder and across your back. If I *had* to take a hike with the rifle slung, it would be tolerable - certainly more tolerable than those silly single-point nut crackers out there. I prefer the old-school rifle slings that would simply sling over your shoulder, too, but sometimes change is good. Or at least tolerable. Smiley

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
Samuel Adams
Shogun

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 12:55:01 AM »

Thanks for the pics ptrthgr8.  I may just have to give it some time. I might come around.
Jwill

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 06:32:23 AM »

I use a Magpul Ms4 dual qd sling works great for me.
Mikelindsey

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 08:40:11 AM »

Davy Sniper.  Canít beat it.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 10:44:01 AM »

I would first say that there is probably no absolute-one-and-only sling style/design for all rifles and SBR's in different applications.  However, I would say that the modern, quick-adjust-slide-buckle, 2-point sling from many companies out there is probably the best, widest application sling style that exists at the moment.  And while there are slight variations in this style of sling the basic design of most all of these really works across a wide variety of uses.  It's amazing that such a simple design has such a flexible array of uses.

OP, I'm a little unclear on your description of "If I need to use both hands, I'm used to slinging it over my head."  I'm probably just missing the intended application you're referring to.  To me, most modern, quality, 2-point slings provide just that element of being able to allow the rifle to be swung over the back quickly with muzzle up or down as the situation requires, and the quick-adjust-slide-buckle allows tensioning of the weapon to the body for the ability to use both hands with limited "flopping" of the rifle.

I'm not much of a single point sling guy, as I think they allow too much movement of the weapon during physical motions.  Still, there are situations and weapons where they work just fine and maybe are preferred...a very short SBR, a Kel-Tec PLR16, etc. comes to mind.  However, even then, most 2-point slings allow the use of adapters that plug into a section of the sling that easily convert them to single point if so desired.  Again, this is the beauty of modern 2-point slings...flexibility.

I even use my 2-point Magpul MS-1 slings in a standard "old school", traditional, over-the-shoulder manner occasionally on a couple of longer barrel, precision/hunting, bolt rifles.  My QD's on those rifles are on one side of the gun just like they are on my bullpups and AR's.  This allows my long rifle to lay more flat against my back which is especially helpful since these two rifles have box magazines and pistol grips which aren't as conducive to traditional shoulder-carry like a more tradionally stocked hunting rifle.  Also it tends to keep the very large and expensive scopes on these two rifles less prone to banging into tree branches and such when walking through woods.

Like I said, there is no one, absolute sling for all guns and all applications, but the modern, adjustable, 2-point sling probably comes closer than anything else.  Of course, there is always the wild card element of personal preference to consider which can always alter gun toting choices.
Little_Dog

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 09:54:03 PM »

For me there is only one choice in manufacturer https://www.blueforcegear.com/slings/weapon-slings I have several of their slings some padded some not on AR's, Tavor's, Rem 700's and Rem 870. They work on anything I attach them too and tough as nails.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 11:32:09 PM »

Using a 5$ surplus AK47 sling as a single point sling mounted to the center sling mount.  Works great, and I use the sling QD to use the same sling on all my ''tactical'' black rifles.
For the Tavor, I think single point slings are best as they don't interfere with the charging handle.  No need to drop money on expensive ones, you can make your own or convert a 2 point.

Some people must have a lot of disposable income to drop 100$ on a sling  Undecided
I like IWI, but I'm not going to shell out that kind of money for a piece of cloth lol, I can only imagine the profit margins IWI is running with all their civilian sales.  Freegin AUGS and Tavors cost way too much for what they are, they would sell way better if they knocked a zero off that price tag...  I am a Tavor fanboy, but sheesh the Tavor game ain't for low income earners.
I just bought a Colt 6920 Trooper NIB for 700$ which was less than half the cost of my Tavor, and as long as IWI charges these crazy high prices it will stay a niche market.  If Tavors could be had for ~900$, then all those AR15 fanboys that talk endless sh!t about Tavors would change their tune and start praising Tavors.
Same goes to all the AK fanboys that stock up on 500$ wasrs.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 11:35:01 PM by RabbitSlayer » Logged

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
Leonitus

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 11:38:59 PM »

Kinda depends on what your vices are. A quality sling, for a Benjamin is a lot. But if itís a quality product, Iím ok spending that. I know guys that spend $400-500 a month just on eating lunch out. I know others that drink away more than that. Iím not here to judge what one spends his money on. I could care less about it.

I just gotta ask.

Iíve been shooting the M16/AR for just over 32 years. I like it, I cut my teeth on it. I also REALLY like the Tavor and x95 offerings.

I hear a few here biOtching about AR guys talking smack.  Just where is all this smack-talk? Iíve never seen any on any forum. Just people complaining about it here.

Pm me some links to this crap.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 11:42:16 PM by Leonitus » Logged
Rastoff

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 12:26:07 AM »

If I need to use both hands I'm used to slinging it over my head.
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
Shogun

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 02:08:26 AM »

By that I mean slinging it over my head so it rides either muzzle up or down across my back. As one would do with a bolt gun.
JRKrejsa

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 07:10:18 AM »

Spec-Ops Brand , padded patrol sling.  Very handy, held up well in SWAT and regular patrol use.  $35.
cciman

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 09:42:11 PM »

I run BFG  (Blue Force) Vickers slings on all my tactical rifles- work for me. 

I've seen the IWI Savvy Snipers in action at their training courses, and they look slick- they have a segment of bungee that the Vickers does not have, however, the BFG is 1.25" wide vs. the 1" on the Savvy, over time i think the Vickers is more comfortable for a weeks training.  Also my BFG is padded, so more like 1.5".

There is a connector on the savvy that allows you to turn it into a one point sling, but if I wanted to i could also attach a QD device to my bfg and do the same.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »

Using a 5$ surplus AK47 sling as a single point sling mounted to the center sling mount.  Works great, and I use the sling QD to use the same sling on all my ''tactical'' black rifles.
For the Tavor, I think single point slings are best as they don't interfere with the charging handle.  No need to drop money on expensive ones, you can make your own or convert a 2 point.

Some people must have a lot of disposable income to drop 100$ on a sling  Undecided
I like IWI, but I'm not going to shell out that kind of money for a piece of cloth lol, I can only imagine the profit margins IWI is running with all their civilian sales.  Freegin AUGS and Tavors cost way too much for what they are, they would sell way better if they knocked a zero off that price tag...  I am a Tavor fanboy, but sheesh the Tavor game ain't for low income earners.
I just bought a Colt 6920 Trooper NIB for 700$ which was less than half the cost of my Tavor, and as long as IWI charges these crazy high prices it will stay a niche market.  If Tavors could be had for ~900$, then all those AR15 fanboys that talk endless sh!t about Tavors would change their tune and start praising Tavors.
Same goes to all the AK fanboys that stock up on 500$ wasrs.

RS, I definitely get your view of the $100 and higher slings in most cases, and I'll say up front that out of the 4 "higher end" slings that I own, none of them came close to approaching that kind of money.  That said, it does make sense to not go too cheap when you consider you're toting a $1500-or-so weapon in sometimes precarious situations.

I think there are many quality level slings out there, and I know I felt a little more confident using a good Magpul MS1 when climbing over and under things in a shoot-house.  I'd hate to see my SAR falling 2-stories to the floor of our shoot-house...LOL!
cciman

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »

As one of my instructors said: Slings SUCK-- there is no such thing as a perfect sling- they are all a compromise.

You can go cheap or high$, and it depends on how you train with the rifle, and how you were taught the different transitions, and how you shoot with the sling on the rifle, standing around all day with 15# around your neck-  ie actual use.

Transitions from R>L, where is that sling? 

Some of these slings do not allow the classic bicep tourniquet wrap for precision (apple seed style).

Some are adjustable but involve a hanging tail of strap. Can you adjust on the fly or do you need to take it off your bod?

Do you want a bungee? If so, why? 

Width means weight/bulk, but the wider the sling the more comfortable over time.  Do it for a week-- that extra 0.25" makes a huge difference.

Connectors: choose the hardware and connectors and where they go-- NOISE- do you need to wrap them so they don't click against other things.

Do you need to stand or walk, bend down, run, jump, go prone, climb a rope, sit inside a tight spot, fight someone-- where do you want the sling to be?

Reloads-- is the sling too short or does it get int he way?

People spend crazy $$ on cosmetic things like handguards --- the good functional sling is not one thing to cheap out on.
bbies1973

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 03:43:35 AM »

My gramps taught me that "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. Yup, I made my own sling that fits me perfectly.
Rastoff

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 12:29:43 PM »

As one of my instructors said: Slings SUCK-- there is no such thing as a perfect sling- they are all a compromise.
A man after my own heart.

Even good slings are terrible. I see a lot of people who insist on having a sling, but really have no need for it. For the vast majority of people, a sling is more of a nuisance than anything else.

They get in the way as the gun goes in or out of the safe. As the gun comes out of the safe, they get caught on other guns and pull them out. They get caught on other straps or clips in the gun bag. I watch guys struggle with slings as they try to zero their guns from a bench. The sling can get caught on a doorknob or piece of furniture or whatever as you move through the house. There are just a lot of negatives about a sling.

On the good side, the sling can be useful if you need it. If you carry the gun all day you have to have a sling. In competition where you transition from a rifle to a handgun or shotgun, the sling is necessary. If you're in combat, you never put the gun down; a sling is necessary. However, most of us don't do that.

I have a Magpul MS1:

It's quickly adjustable, but doesn't have any loops or straps hanging off. This means less to get caught on stuff.  I have it for two reasons. There are scenarios where I do carry the gun all day and need to have it with me. Then there are training classes that require a sling. It helps with muzzle control as students move around. Other than that, I'd just as soon not have one.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 12:39:36 PM by Rastoff » Logged

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length