Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 08:32:20 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR
| | |-+  TTAG has an MDR (videos)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: TTAG has an MDR (videos)  (Read 4056 times)
Box

« on: October 13, 2017, 01:30:14 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqwvVruY864

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEGoTZfCj2o
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 01:52:43 AM »

hmmm...link to written review...'page not found'.
issues

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 11:14:58 AM »

Written review.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/10/jeremy-s/desert-tech-mdr-gun-review/
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 12:25:49 PM »

Then again, I donít actually think itís as refined as a Tavor X95. The magazine release is too stiff, the trigger isnít as good, the balance and overall ergos arenít quite as good, and itís even gassier when suppressed (especially compared to the 300 BLK X95 with its adjustable gas block, which was effectively gas-free).

Not a rousing endorsement
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 12:43:33 PM »

he gave it four out of five stars, but i keep reading not the greatest trigger or worse than x95.  i thought this thing was pulling at 4.8lbs not 7.5lbs give or take.  curious how an oss or tranquilo would handle the gas blow-back.  it's accurate though and it handled steel fine apparently.
Box

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 01:05:23 PM »

Saying it had a worse trigger than an X95 shocked me.  And 7.5lbs trigger weight?  Is that correct??

It definitely seems accurate and the design features are great.  However, Iím sure those waiting for a gen 2 or later version feel they made the right decision.   Based on this review and othersí comments, it seems the MDR still needs some refinement/tweaking.
rtp
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 02:12:13 PM »

So that was mixed for me, moreso as we can be pretty sure 'reviewer' guns get extra attention before shipping out.

Positives:
1.  No issues with mags falling out.
2.  No malfunctions across different ammo.
3.  Overall seemed to like the rifle.

Not so much:
1.  Stuff mag release - ok, so mags didn't fall out...this is good.  But makes me question what does it take to get it right on feel vs 'it works reliably'?
2.  Gas face.  Big gas face.  I'd wager rework of the gas block or adjustable gas block might be being discussed at DT...or should be.
3.  Mediocre accuracy including with FGMM.  Reviewer had a nice enough Tango optic with enough mag range to do things justice, but looks like a challenge to get MOA.
4.  WTF on trigger?  7.5 and 'satisfactory' trigger?  Something seems off here, moreso as anyone in right mind would be hand-picking and going through a reviewer rifle.  Huh?

Curious if DT is quietly making any changes to mag retention/release and the gas block in the background...
Ditcher
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 03:31:56 PM »

I take it this is the same rifle Tim from MAC had?  If so I would have thought that mag release button would have worked its self out by now.  I remember by XDM had a real stiff mag release button when I bought it but after about 200 rounds it smooth out pretty nice.
Sdevante
^

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 03:37:06 PM »

So that was mixed for me, moreso as we can be pretty sure 'reviewer' guns get extra attention before shipping out.

Positives:
1.  No issues with mags falling out.
2.  No malfunctions across different ammo.
3.  Overall seemed to like the rifle.

Not so much:
1.  Stuff mag release - ok, so mags didn't fall out...this is good.  But makes me question what does it take to get it right on feel vs 'it works reliably'?
2.  Gas face.  Big gas face.  I'd wager rework of the gas block or adjustable gas block might be being discussed at DT...or should be.
3.  Mediocre accuracy including with FGMM.  Reviewer had a nice enough Tango optic with enough mag range to do things justice, but looks like a challenge to get MOA.
4.  WTF on trigger?  7.5 and 'satisfactory' trigger?  Something seems off here, moreso as anyone in right mind would be hand-picking and going through a reviewer rifle.  Huh?

Curious if DT is quietly making any changes to mag retention/release and the gas block in the background...

I hate to do this bc I know it's annoying, but I could swear I read somewhere that DT was thinking on how to make the mag release smoother off the production line. Maybe it was their Instagram or Facebook - I'll edit if I find the source.
newguy2k3

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 03:58:44 PM »

I sure hope so. From my experience they are sorely needed
cjgemm
^

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 06:28:06 PM »

Guys, an adjustable GB is not going to keep gas from coming down the barrel, out the chamber and into your face.  My AUG and TAVOR do this as well.  I have cut rubber bands to seal up around the port covers and pic rail on my TAVOR.  Two mags through the AUG gives you a nice black shoulder from gas coming through the butt pad.  That why I put an OSS in jail to actually fix the problem...

I hear the LaRue TranQuilo is minimal on blow back as well.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 07:23:53 PM »

Then again, I donít actually think itís as refined as a Tavor X95. The magazine release is too stiff, the trigger isnít as good, the balance and overall ergos arenít quite as good, and itís even gassier when suppressed (especially compared to the 300 BLK X95 with its adjustable gas block, which was effectively gas-free).

Not a rousing endorsement

And yet the vast majority of his review was exceptionally positive.  There are some things about the review that have me scratching my head, namely the gas issue and the trigger as they don't seem constant with the other reviews that have been posted.  The rest of the review, however, seemed...amateurish given his accuracy results and overall poor writing style.

Kurt
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 08:41:51 PM »

The rest of the review, however, seemed...amateurish given his accuracy results and overall poor writing style.

haha...jesus kurt...i'm looking forward to your review then.
Box

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 08:53:06 PM »

Quote from: kfeltenberger
There are some things about the review that have me scratching my head, namely the gas issue and the trigger as they don't seem constant with the other reviews that have been posted.  The rest of the review, however, seemed...amateurish given his accuracy results and overall poor writing style.

MAC also complained about the gas.  He said heíd like to try his OSS on the MDR because of it.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 08:59:06 PM »

The rest of the review, however, seemed...amateurish given his accuracy results and overall poor writing style.

haha...jesus kurt...i'm looking forward to your review then.

I'll try!

I guess my issue is that he seemed rather biased going into it and constantly comparing it to the Tavor and X95, as if the MDR was a personal challenge to his pet guns.  If you have that feeling, then be up front about it going into the review.  Also, the effort put into the accuracy testing seemed almost like an afterthought, based on the writing, and it doesn't seem to support the other accuracy tests we've seen published.

Finally, the writing style...I felt like I was reading a tenth grade English field trip report.  It just wasn't...polished...and some of the sentences seemed like they were there for word count.  True, anyone with a computer and a website and push out "reviews" and whether it is good or bad (from a style perspective) they all offer usable datapoints.

Kurt
JK919

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 02:15:04 AM »

Iím just disappointed about the blowback when shooting suppressed.
spacegunz

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 03:09:33 AM »

If anything, this review is far too kind. 4/5 stars is quite generous given the issues reported.

Whether due to manufacturing inconsistency or not, a 7.5 pound trigger pull is much worse than average (even for bullpups, these days). And then thereís the gas face issues, the stiff and sometimes even catastrophically sticky mag release, and other quality control issues that are popping up at alarmingly frequent rates. These are issues of a sort you might expect from some garbage, bottom of the barrel, DPMS AR15; not a premium, $2500 so-called ďbattle rifleĒ.

For reporting these issues factually, is it really fair to accuse him of bashing the MDR unfairly? Why, for reporting a truth you donít want to hear? By all means let us be unbiased, but that goes both ways.

The comparison with the Tavor X95 is not only appropriate, but necessary. If the trigger is indeed worse than an X95, thatís a very important and relatable data point. 7.5 lbs is indeed worse than an X95 by a large margin (thatís closer to the original SAR pull weight). People do bash on the X95 trigger too much though; I suspect because many people never actually tried it and just remember the old SAR trigger.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 03:36:04 AM by spacegunz » Logged
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 04:34:06 AM »

The rifle only just came out. All rifles have an initial teething phase. I'm sure DT is making notes of complaints and will make revisions as the rifle matures. It does seem that a small handful of people here have complained about the trigger, magazine release, some magazines failing to drop free, and gas-face. I don't think initial teething issues are things to get all worked up about. Most rifles have them. The Keltec RDB had several issues upon release, and those have mostly been worked out by now. That being said, I am glad I am waiting on my purchase until the rifle matures a bit.
gunowner55
New Posting Member

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 09:01:24 AM »

Hello , to change the subject a little bit , has anyone any new updates on the F90 Atrax ?
The Heretic

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 10:37:10 AM »

Saying it had a worse trigger than an X95 shocked me.  And 7.5lbs trigger weight?  Is that correct??

It definitely seems accurate and the design features are great.  However, Iím sure those waiting for a gen 2 or later version feel they made the right decision.   Based on this review and othersí comments, it seems the MDR still needs some refinement/tweaking.

I am feeling that, yes. Indeed, I am wondering whether to get one at all at this point. With the Tavor 7 coming to the USA, that makes even more competition. Lost opportunity DT - that is the cost of delays.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length