Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 05:39:53 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  Barrel Steel
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Barrel Steel  (Read 581 times)
ricklee4570

« on: October 12, 2017, 08:56:54 AM »

I have heard about some manufacturers using 4140 and 4150 steel for their barrels.

Can anyone tell me what the Tavor SAR Barrel is? I know it is chrome lined, but what material is the barrel made out of?
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 05:26:33 PM »

It's hammer forged CrMoV, since they (Israel) makes AK's, it is probably the same type of steel.  Most likely Hammer forged 4150 or something similar.

I believe it is higher quality than a colt 6920 barrel making process... So don't worry about it, but IWI might be able to answer your question if you call them.

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
Rastoff

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 01:27:23 PM »

I believe it is higher quality than a colt 6920 barrel making process...
What makes you believe that?

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 04:36:36 PM »

I believe it is higher quality than a colt 6920 barrel making process...
What makes you believe that?

I guess '' Higher quality '' is subjective here.

US made Colt M4's have button rifled barrels, and IWI Tavors have cold hammer forged barrels.  Both are probably made out of the same material or extremely similar CrMoV steel.

Cold Hammer forging is generally considered superior to button rifled for fully automatic firearm use. (If you google it you will see why, I don't want to butcher that part), but it has something to do with chf aligning grains in the steel I believe (We are talking on a molecular level here).
Where as cut rifled barrels are consider superior for precision use with 416r ss barrels, however those types of steel are not for high round count or fully automatic use, but precision work.

Worth note is Colt Canada cold hammer forges their barrels I believe.  US Colt probably just don't because of the cost of new tooling, since their current barrels work fine for .mil, they probably see no reason to switch tooling.

Both barrel types if using 4150 CrMoV or similar with chrome lining will serve the end user tens of thousands of rounds.  I would consider the barrel steel of both types either equal, with a high possibility of the Tavor having a superior barrel steel in regards to durability.  Since IWI already had CHF barrel making tools for their AK's, it was cost effective for them to use the same tooling for their Tavors.
The difference is probably negligible for people like us due to factors like, rifle purpose, barrel profiles, and ammunitions/powders used.

By speculation..
Button rifled probably has a higher likelyhood of being more accurate, and cold hammer forged has a higher likelyhood of being more durable I believe.  I also believe the majority of the worlds LMG's have cold hammer forged barrels, for example our FN M249 has a cold hammer forged barrel, and FN gives the same ambiguous description for their barrel steel as IWI.  ( FN just calls it Machine gun steel).

Also worth note is that various military use cold hammer forged barrels for their precision sniper rifles.

But anyone please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:24:46 PM by RabbitSlayer » Logged

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 04:44:19 PM »

I'm surprised the Styer AUG guys haven't chimed in  Cheesy

-Thomas Jefferson
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 05:59:37 PM »

So OP, I am sorry I can't answer your question any more directly but I hope you can take comfort in this.
Your IWI SAR barrel is made out of machine gun steel, and it is superior to any commercial grade 4140 AR15 barrel.  Tavor barrels are made for fully automatic use, and are built to withstand more abuse than any of us on the US market will be able to dish out.

IWI probably doesn't publish their exact steel recipe anywhere, but I have a good suspicion that it is something exactly the same as or extremely similar to MIL-B-11595E, or whatever FN uses for their m249 Saw.  Most likely it is identical to what Russia, Austria/Styer, or Bulgaria uses for their barrels.  Since the Israeli's don't publish their recipe it could be superior as well, but we will probably never know... However, I don't think I have ever heard of anyone wearing out a galil barrel.

Worth note, not all 4150 steels should be considered milspec.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:31:40 PM by RabbitSlayer » Logged

-Thomas Jefferson
Leonitus

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 07:28:26 PM »

Machine gun steel is 41V45 steel (Chrome Moly Vanadium)
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length