Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 01:03:34 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Lean Six Sigma
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Lean Six Sigma  (Read 528 times)
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: October 11, 2017, 09:44:24 PM »

After a long discussion with my Stats/Operations Management prof, I've decided to get certified in Lean Six Sigma.  Given the generally more educated/professional makeup of the forum, I wanted to ask if anyone had any tips or suggestions, things to look for in a local class, those sorts of things. 

I realize that this isn't firearms related...now...but later, down the road, it will help me feed the addiction!   Grin

Thanks!

Kurt
Leonitus

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 08:54:04 PM »

Lean is a subject that many either love or hate. Many do not give it enough creadit and donít buy in. Itís been years since I was involved in lean, itís a great process that many companies are using.

VillaNova used to offer classes
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:57:32 PM by Leonitus » Logged
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 10:15:08 PM »

At a previous employer quite some years back, they fumbled implementing it and as a result everyone hated anything even associated with the name.  In my current Stats and Ops Management class, we have to read a book on it and it really opened my eyes.  So much is common sense, but the problem is breaking through the walls that the managers create around their little fiefdoms and making things work.

Kurt
Plinker
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 03:33:47 AM »

No advice, but agree that it's a great set of tools if used properly.  Given a data rich environment, you have the basics you need to drive improvement.  What I see a lot of is figuring out the project, first, then justifying it with data afterward.  I'm not saying I haven't done it, myself, just that I know it's not the right way to practice lean.  I've also seen it run amuck with "leaning" office space, where the site manager decreed that all personal effects were to be removed and no more than one pen, one pencil, and one notepad allowed on a desk.  I seriously lost respect for that guy in a hurry.  I told my people that we weren't under his jurisdiction, and they could continue as they were.

Sorry that I can't give you any guidance on courses. I've only been through a couple of basic courses, myself. 

Agree that it does make a lot of common sense!  Good luck!

The next time you think everyone should be equal in outcome, read Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron".  If you don't fear that kind of world, please don't vote.
Leonitus

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 10:42:22 AM »

At a previous employer quite some years back, they fumbled implementing it and as a result everyone hated anything even associated with the name.  In my current Stats and Ops Management class, we have to read a book on it and it really opened my eyes.  So much is common sense, but the problem is breaking through the walls that the managers create around their little fiefdoms and making things work.

Getting the dinosaurs to buy in enough to just get a glimpse of what it can do is very difficult.
Sarge
New Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 08:56:06 PM »

I think any education is great.  I know folk who have had good career elevation with 6 Sigma.  On the other hand, 6 is used by large organizations to get data to implement process engineering improvements (manufacturing) and improve quality control.  Outside of a bureaucratic (not being critical of it here) it is not the kind of thing that gives a lot of personal satisfaction.  Applied properly it could possible even be used to say, improve handloading (if you load a Sierra load of stuff).  Unless involved with a really big project ^ may have limited utility and it is not a cure all.   
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 01:23:53 AM »

It isn't a cure all, but I can see how it can be applied to even smaller companies, even if it is only a process philosophy or way of approaching things.  As for me, it's one more tool in the toolbox and I'll use it to get an interview or job.

Kurt
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length