Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 03:47:04 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR
| | |-+  MDR Suppression Thread
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: MDR Suppression Thread  (Read 2125 times)
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: October 11, 2017, 10:05:13 AM »

i'll be getting the 556 conversion kit as well and like many here looking to suppress their mdr and reading about gas blow-back concerns or in watching MAC's vid when he ran suppressed...i pretty much decided i'll be going with the tranquilo m308 from larue for $700.  their tranquilo brakes/adapters are $100 each, but you have an option to add a muzzle device for $50 when purchasing their sound suppressor, so that'll cut cost to $75 each when buying both essentially considering you're only allowed to add just one muzzle device with purchase, full price for the other.  i figured this sound suppressor would be ideal either way, especially the way it handles gas blow-back.  plus, it would look really good on the fde.  figured this thread would be good for those running suppressed and want to provide feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQH8223J89E

http://www.gunsandammo.com/gear-accessories/suppressors/larue-tranquilo-review/

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:59:28 PM by HBeretta » Logged
INV136

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 03:54:21 PM »

Already have a .308 suppressor for all of my rifles. AAC 240 SD which was designed for the FN M240 machinegun. It works very well on all of my rifles and the suppression level allows the use of all my rifle calibers without the need to wear ear plugs or ear muffs or subsonic ammunition. As long as you are shooting it outdoors.

Maybe it's the efficiency of the suppressor, but standard factory loaded supersonic (I don't have any subsonic ammo) ammunition is very comfortable to shoot outdoors. The supersonic crack that many talk about is very low, not the loud crack that many complain about at all. And before the accusations of hearing issues comes out, I had my hearing tested just before I retired two years ago to make sure. I have normal hearing and I had been using this suppressor for several years previous to the test.  

Stock photo of the model of my AAC 240SD suppressor:

AAC 51t Blackout flash hider/QD suppressor mount:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:58:02 PM by INV136 » Logged
sampitt

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 08:55:50 PM »

i'll be getting the 556 conversion kit as well and like many here looking to suppress their mdr and reading about gas blow-back concerns or in watching MAC's vid when he ran suppressed...i pretty much decided i'll be going with the tranquilo m308 from larue for $700.  their tranquilo brakes/adapters are $100 each, but you have an option to add a muzzle device for $50 when purchasing their sound suppressor, so that'll cut cost to $75 each when buying both essentially considering you're only allowed to add just one muzzle device with purchase, full price for the other.  i figured this sound suppressor would be ideal either way, especially the way it handles gas blow-back.  plus, it would look really good on the fde.  figured this thread would be good for those running suppressed and want to provide feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQH8223J89E

http://www.gunsandammo.com/gear-accessories/suppressors/larue-tranquilo-review/

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

* Capture+_2017-10-11-20-53-52.png (171.56 KB, 718x365 - viewed 207 times.)
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 09:15:50 PM »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Let's stop this before it gets out of hand...

First, and full disclosure, I think Mark LaRue is a jacka$$ and is probably the absolute worse person to represent his company.  I've owned two LaRue products and sold them both and pocketed the difference after buying lower cost, less ego driven replacements that were of similar or better quality.  Suffice it to say, I'm probably one of the last people to stand up and defend the guy.

That said, Tim took his comment out of context and Mark Larue has clarified and explained his position in detail further in the ARFcom thread (I know...I just spent the past hour reading the thing...).  Both, Tim and Mark, make good points - Tim's is Stalin's Order No. 227 which essentially said, "Not one step back!"; basically no compromise on anything.  Mark's position is to work within the NRA and acknowledge that they do have flaws and that this was only supposed to be something to help cool down the conversation by pushing this to the ATF rather than Congress.

Things have, as we've seen, taken a different route.  If the thread on ARFcom is any indication, all the Left needs to do is wait a few more weeks and we'll have destroyed ourselves through our infighting.

Kurt
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 01:32:38 AM »

All this 2A talk.  For f#ck's sake it's to be expected with first out of the gate journalism by mainstream news media outlets, but seeing Tim(MAC) politicizing 2A gun rights in his latest youtube vid like a lunatic taking over the asylum is pretty terrible.  I mean 60 ppl just died in the worst shooting in modern history and he's preaching don't take our(my) guns?  At least have a little consideration before taking an insensitive approach to the human lives that were lost with the absolutist rant.  Obviously, the price of freedom argument arises; as it always does.  I understand his overzealous tirade that courts will likely prioritize human lives over gun freedoms and that no constitutional right is absolute.  This has been a recurring topic for several years now, yet Congress hasn't passed gun control legislation in a decade and that was only for background checks.  Need I bring up the unfortunate incidents along the way since and subsequent propositions?  I'm not implying course of action isn't necessary or no cause for concern, but to demand that we stop what we're doing right this minute, pick up your phone and start making calls now...is pretty ridiculous.

Now where were we?....that's right...LaRue suppressors and muzzle brakes/adapters for $700 and some change.    
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:59:18 AM by HBeretta » Logged
Radius13
^

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 07:11:54 AM »

I figure I am preaching to the choir here, but:

Let us suppose that the Vegas shooter had had a better exit strategy, OR what if it had been just a part of an ISIS cell in the US that had done this horrible act (i.e.-> The bad guys were still out there to do more evil)??

Wouldn't we be fighting to keep everything the way it is now (gun rights wise) and not concede any of our individual power for protection?

How does the shooter killing himself change that?

I understand giving a little to save a lot in the long run, but you sure can't save anything by giving lawmakers a blank check. Wink
I think MAC was saying the version proposed is a blank check rather than a set amount "donation" that may give returns.

Opinions?

(No more political from me. Just stirring the pot.)
(Plus I haven't posted in forever because we don't have any new MDR news.)

That is all.
Ascinder
^

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 12:08:54 PM »

The problem I see with the 'give a little' approach is that we never get anything back. It has just been a steady erosion of our rights and we just slide further and further down the path of indoctrination. Bit by bit we lose more and more as our rights are demonized by the radical left. They never offer up anything in return. Feeding them just leaves them hungry for more. We are frogs getting slowly cooked in a pot. 
EWTHeckman
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 12:58:26 PM »

The 2nd Amendment says "shall not be infringed." We passed "infringed" a long time ago. Now we're fighting over the Sorites Paradox (how many grains of sand make a heap) in debating how much infringement is okay, instead of defending actual constitutional law. "Give a little" is what infringing is.

The NRA's stated position that banning full-auto guns is an acceptable level of infringement is planting their flag squarely in that paradoxical no man's land of "how much infringement is too much?" It doesn't make a firm logical line because there's always "just a little more" when you have a fuzzy, non-distinct line. Something like, "absolutely hands off" is clear, easy to understand, define, and enforce. Someone giving up their rights through some action (like breaking laws against violent acts) is clear, easy to define, and enforce. Picking a spot someone in the middle between "do not touch" and "ban'em all" is logically vulnerable because it's unmoored from the basis for protecting arms and there are always edge cases that dance on both sides of a chosen line. We're seeing that now with the "bump stocks meet the legal definition, but accomplish rates of fire that we don't like" debate. We've seen it with "how many rounds in a mag is too many?" And on, and on, and on.

Remember, the stated purpose for having that particular right protected via a Constitutional guarantee is so that We the People (that's what a Militia is) can fight for our freedom if necessary, even at a governmental level. Any arms owned by We the People, and protected by that right need to be capable of meeting that purpose.
Box

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 01:16:41 PM »

Well said, EWTHeckman.
pwillie

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 05:16:32 PM »

figured this thread would be good for those running suppressed and want to provide feedback.  
started out good...too bad people can't stay on topic.
Wondering how these compare to say... oss?
Box

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 09:28:01 PM »

Quote from: pwillie

I had never heard of this suppressor by LaRue.   I would really like to see it compared head-to-head against the OSS.
bedwyr
^

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 10:54:51 PM »

figured this thread would be good for those running suppressed and want to provide feedback.  
started out good...too bad people can't stay on topic.
I have an OSS can in NFA jail. Its been there for 10 months. At this point i will probably have it long before i have an MDR in hand. I will post my opinions on this combination after everything is in hand.
generalzip

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »

I plan on using an Omega. If the gas in the face is as bad as people are saying and coupled with mag release issues, stuck cases and ripped off case rims, and other QC issues I've seen galore with this thing, it will be up for sale after 2 boxes of ammo. At this point i don't care if it takes another 4 months to get my MDR. I just want a quality, reliable firearm.
MikeSmith
^

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 05:31:43 PM »

Based on the preliminary reviews I've seen (MAC and TTAG), I'm guessing that they erred on the side of overgassing the suppressor setting instead of running the risk of it being undergassed.  But I'd like to hear some more info from DT about their design decisions to confirm that.

I'm already committed to only buying suppressors that don't change backpressure (even if it comes at the cost of not quite being hearing safe), so it doesn't matter to me, but I know I'm still in a very small minority!
generalzip

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 11:27:21 AM »

I'm in the boat of "If you have to buy a new can specifically for a gun, the gun is the problem. Not the can". I've run traditional cans on all type of firearms. With an AR10, an adjustable gas block and/or decent charging handle, it is quite pleasant to shoot suppressed. Hopefully DT just made the port in the valve too large and it can be fixed with an aftermarket valve easily. It could also just be an inherent design flaw that causes a lot of gas to come back. I'm sure(hope) they did some research to verify how big they needed to make the ports.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 11:31:21 AM by generalzip » Logged
cjgemm
^

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 11:48:10 AM »

I'm in the boat of "If you have to buy a new can specifically for a gun, the gun is the problem. Not the can". I've run traditional cans on all type of firearms. With an AR10, an adjustable gas block and/or decent charging handle, it is quite pleasant to shoot suppressed. Hopefully DT just made the port in the valve too large and it can be fixed with an aftermarket valve easily. It could also just be an inherent design flaw that causes a lot of gas to come back. I'm sure(hope) they did some research to verify how big they needed to make the ports.

So your AR10's chamber, bolt, carrier, brass etc does not get any dirtier running suppressed vs not suppressed with an adjustable GB?
generalzip

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 02:01:28 PM »

The brass and chamber get a bit dirtier sure, but it is reliable. It also doesn't shoot carbon and gas all over my face, shirt, and eyes.
cjgemm
^

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 02:19:17 PM »

Hmm,  Your not putting your face and shoulder directly on the receiver either...

With your perfectly pleasant AR10 with an Adjustable GB is still fouling your action, I'm going to go out on a limb and say in a Bullpup config your still gonna get gassed.  Tell you what put a standard CH on that AR10 and dump a 20 rounder and get back to us...
JK919

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 08:44:54 PM »

Can anyone confirm if you can turn off the gas completely?
Box

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 11:20:20 PM »

HBeretta, I canít find much about the tranquilo.   I watched one video, but thatís about it.   There doesnít appear to be a lot of hype about it.   Have you had a chance to try it yourself?

Iím curious how quiet it is and how it compares to the OSS.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length